My puppy is a poo eater, any ideas how to stop her Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by who owns who, Jun 10, 2018.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I really hope she grows out of this habit, or over time realizes she gets a treat or lots of pets (fussed?) when she walks away from it.

I do feel like she thinks I’m stealing her poo from her, lol. I don’t think she is giving me the “finger” when she eats her poo, I just think it’s a habit of hers.

I quit smoking and that was hard, couldn’t she give up her habit for me...

Sometimes her breath does stink... I’m not imagining. I do let her lick me,just not on the mouth.. I’ve taught both dogs the word kisses. I just wash up often.

She hasn’t gotten any today!!! It’s a work in progress
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I took a peek at dogsy and they had a post about poo eating but most of the responses were between a few posters who just had a very stupid and unproductive back and forth, seemed like they didn’t like each other. Was pretty much a waste of cyberspace
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’m happy to report that I left Katie Mae in the yard yesterday afternoon with bandit for about 3 hours while I read and relaxed. When I went out to check on them I found 4 poop piles and non appeared to have been snacked on!! This morning I left them out unsupervised again and found 3 poop piles seemingly undisturbed!! There is a certain look to a poop that’s been munched on and I saw no evidence of this!! Im certainly not declaring victory yet but it seems good progress has been made. I would love to allow her freedom as I have a nice sized fenced area around the house to contain them and a much much larger fenced area on the other side of my property (split by gravel road that 2 neighbors use) where I store my tools. I haven’t allowed her over there in months as there are to many trees etc to be able to monitor her and easily find all the poop. I will try to remain hopeful that she can overcome/outgrow this habit.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yay! Good for Katie Mae! :041: Hopefully her poo eating days will stay as non poo eating days. Not that anything can be guaranteed but two days in a row must be a good sign. :)

Long may it last!
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka likes this.
    661D68FC-CD2F-40CF-9895-2E66A63C2EA2.jpeg Three days in a row now!!!! I really hope it lasts as it really grossed me out. I don’t know if it’s her outgrowing it or if it was me monitoring her and calling her to me as soon as she was done and cleaning it right up. I suppose it doesn’t really matter, the important thing is she’s gone three days with being allowed to be outside unmonitored and has left the poops alone. Wooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [​IMG]
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Most of the time Merry does now come and tell me when she's done one - only because of the tiny reward which she STILL gets! Her body language can be subtle, but other times I have discovered her sitting by the kitchen unit where the treat pot sits.
    Having a routine is half of the job though. Hers is usually, first thing in the morning, after her lunch, and after supper at 10.15 pm. I always know to check at those times.
  9. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    That is funny that she goes and sits by where her treats are to get rewarded. Obviously she likes the treats more than the poo. I stopped using treats as both dogs could smell them on me and would just hound me for them. They hear a treat bag or smell them and they come and sit without being asked. Her reward was getting attention from me and it seemed to work.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I must be a horrible dog mom as I have never used treats for training. Tikva gets four tiny, and I do mean tiny, little treats when I go across the road to the macolet [unfortunately I just can not go out anywhere else] - I get the keys ready, get out on Xanadu, and before I close the door it is "and a one, and a two, [and sometimes it is a three] - throw them in before the door is closed, and she does not move from the couch until the door is closed, locked, and she hears me drive off.