My springer behaving whilst out Questions

Discussion in 'English Springer Spaniel' started by Roxanne29, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Roxanne29

Roxanne29 New Member

Name:
    Roxanne

My springer behaving whilst out

Hi,

I have an 11 year old female springer and a 3 year old male springer. Both English springers from working background but neither are or have ever worked.

My problem is with my 3 year old boy, we've had him since he was 8 weeks old. Trained him using long lead and his recall was good he'd come back when called, he's mad but expected nothing less.

We took him puppy club/classes recommended by our vets which was held at the vets, this I now think was a huge mistake.

He used to get pinned down by the bigger puppies and chased to a corner, covered in saliva, no bites. He chased but would always be the one being submissive and lying on his back by the other dogs.

As he's got older he barks at the bigger dogs on the park, he wont actively seek them out but if they come to him or we come across a bigger dog he will bark repeatedly whilst running round the dog. Most dogs either ignore him or bark back trying to play.
    Others have responded aggressively and so have their owners.

This seems to have worse in the last 6 months to a year. He does it to dogs which are bigger than him or his size. Smaller dogs he just tries to play with them as if he and them are puppies.

I think its his way of getting his own back for want of a better phrase from when he was 'bullied' at puppy club but of course trying to explain this to another owner does not happen. Also what makes it worse is his recall has gone out the window.

I will whistle him he will run back to me run a circle around me then off again, if I see a dog ahead before he does I get him close to me and distract until they pass or if I can grab him I will. However, if its too late and the meeting has started and barking begun then saying his name, anything to get him back will not work I have to physically run away which is embarrassing.

Food recall doesn't work with him - he's just not interested, ball the same unless he takes my older dogs ball but he only does this cause he knows she wants it and will chase him for it back.

The barking noise he makes is a bark but then a very high pitched bark/squeal, the people that don't take offence to him often just laugh and ask me why hes making the ridiculous noise.

I used to love taking my dogs out now I feel on edge which is a shame as he deserves and needs a off lead run as he loves it head down sniffing etc.

My other dog has never been fussed by other dogs and will just carry on if another dog comes up to her she is just ball obsessed.

sorry for the essay, but any hints and tips about recall, behaviour etc will be helpful. Cant afford a behaviourist due to personal illness hence why im googling!

Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    We have a dog that has “ zero “ recall, so, we walk/treck & I occasionally jog with him on a horse lunge rein, it’s about 8 meters long.
    It may not be ideal for you and what you are hoping for, but, in the meantime it may work for you and a great thing to use whilst you are training
    It has really taken the stress out of our outings/walks
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee