My Yorkie is scared of me Behaviour

Discussion in 'Yorkshire Terrier' started by Phuztone, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Phuztone

Phuztone New Member

Name:
    Chris

My Yorkie is scared of me

I have a 5 yr. old Yorkie mix. Gracie was a rescue & we have had her 8 months. One of the main problems we have with her (besides housebreaking) is that she doesn't like men. She was obviously abused by a man. I have been doing my best to bond with her, but she hovers around my wife every time she has access to her. My wife understands & gives her little affection but is very nice to Gracie.

I am & have been the one that feeds her, takes her out to potty, & she sleeps with me. We are trying to do what we can to get her familiar with me. She is still scared of me, & when she is laying with my wife & I come into the room whe will growl & bark at me. But I will go up to where she is laying & sit down & she will quiet down & can pick her up. Gracie has never bitten me or anyone else. She is way too skittish.

When we take out to ride with us or go to the groomer, I give here some calming medicine from the vet. That seems to work, but it makes her sleepy & lethargic. The vet suggested that giving her a low dose of the medicine may make her less skittish so she will can get used to us.

Do you have any suggestions to br able to handle this situation?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Try sitting on the floor with her favourite toy. Don't try to encourage her over to you, just sit ignoring her but making that toy look very very interesting by tossing it in the air and catching it, tossing it hand to hand etc. It may take a while, but when she comes over to you, a simple good girl, give her the toy, but for goodness sake don't over fuss her. It's a case of slowly, slowly catchee monkey
  4. Phuztone

Phuztone New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Thanks Chris! I'm sort of doing that now. I'm sitting on the floor, calling her & showing her a treat she loves. She will eventually come to me & I will praise her, but I may be getting too excited so I need to calm down. I have tried her toys but that doesn't interest her as the treats. Yea, I guess it will take a while. But thanks for the suggestion!!
  5. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    Jiggle a treat from hand to hand then, but don't call her. Let it be her decision and be praising but calm.

Good luck
  6. Phuztone

Phuztone New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Chris likes this.
    Thanks! I had not thought of doing that. I will try that.