NAPR Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Toedtoes, May 21, 2022.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    BubzJade and Malka like this.

NAPR

The post by @BubzJade indicating the NAPR registration got me wondering just how easy it is to register a dog with them.

So I have just submitted my application for my purebred dog...

All I did was indicate myself as owner and breeder, provide the dog's name, the dog's date of birth, the parent dog's names, and a $20 payment.

They are now "reviewing" my application and I should receive the certificate in 7-10 days. When it arrives (or it is denied), I will post all the details here so folks can see how this registry works.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    OK. Here are the results of my application.

First, there was ABSOLUTELY NO verification of the information I provided.

I filled out an application for the following NON-EXISTENT puppy:

Name of dog: St Michael's Badger
    Breed: Siberian Husky
    Date of Birth: April 3, 2022
    Male
    Red
    Sire: Blackfield's Frostwinter
    Dam: St Michael's Henrietta
    Breeder and Owner: me

They did not require ANY proof that the dogs named even exist. They did not confirm any of the information provided. They did not require any documentation of the pedigree.

They simply took the completely made up information I provided and sent me a "certificate".

Please be aware that the North American Purebred Registry is nothing more than a scam.
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    They should be reported to someone. Thanks for spending the $20 to investigate.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Their argument will be "we are simply a way for owners to 'register' their dog for identification purposes".

The best we can do is spread the word and make sure as many people as possible learn the truth and do not depend on these "certificates" as proof of anything.

Tomorrow I'm gonna take my imaginary husky out to the imaginary snow for an imaginary sled ride.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    It is a scam but as you say, they will claim that they are just providing a database service. It grants BYB's the right to claim they are selling 'registered' puppies. We have similar over here too - The Dog Lovers Registration Club works on the same basis.
    We have also had odd cases on here where a breeder has issued a supposed breed club registration.
    The one that puzzles me is the UKC - which seems to register working dogs/puppies, but also runs shows and trials. Do you know how much credibility the UKC has? Is it seen as a genuine alternative to the AKC or just a more elaborate form of meaningless database?
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thanks @CaroleC for confirming something I already knew. A few months ago I had a minor problem with someone on a discussion forum, who tried to tell me that The Kennel Club, ie the UK Kennel Club, was "just a branch" of the AKC and that anyone could register their dogs with The Kennel Club without any proof of their background. When I politely disagreed I was told I obviously knew nothing about dogs as it was the second time I had "argued" with them.

The previous so-called "argument" was because someone had posted a short clip of a dog titled "Dog having a nightmare" when the dog was obviously having a Grand Mal seizure, and I pointed it out at the time.

Needless to say I deleted my membership of that forum.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes @Malka the initials can be confusing on an International forum. For me, it was when someone told me they would be able to show a rescued hound if they registered it with the UKC. When I Googled it, I found there was a UKC register, and they did have, (presumably their own), shows and trials in the USA. I am unsure of their status though.

For the casual reader, KC is The Kennel Club. Based in London, this is the original body governing the breeding, showing and trialling of purebred dogs. It has never been necessary to add the name of the country, but for clarity in International conversation we occasionally do.
    The AKC is the American equivalent. Again regulating mostly the same activities.
    The FCI regulates the majority of the World's Kennel Clubs. Their individual titles will contain the name of the country.
    The ability to compete internationally depends on Authority to Compete being granted by the host Kennel Club.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I don't know much at all about the UKC. I do know it is a for profit company and that it is made up with individuals not clubs like the AKC.

From what I've heard, it is legitimate. It started out for bully breeds and then expanded. I think it's more popular with working dogs than the AKC. It does recognize a lot more breeds than the AKC - I'm not sure if all are trule established purebreds or if they are working line dogs that have genetic diversity.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks Toed, and thanks for registering Badger to prove a point.
    Of course you have competitions for weight-pulling, and similar performance based contests, which wouldn not fall under the AKC's jurisdiction.
    Over here there are also a couple of non-KC Working Terrier Clubs which hold their own shows and have maintained a Working Terrier register for many years. I guess that would be a very similar situation.
    The AKC Canine Partners Register seems very similar to our KC Activity Register - open to any breed or mix that wishes to compete in official working competitions, but not for breeding or breed shows. This register is used to record the puppies bred by the Guide and Hearing Dogs Associations too.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    So I just goth this email from NAPR:

I review applications that have made in the prior week and I noticed
    that we did not receive a side view picture of your dog during the
    application process. I will also need a DNA report from a company such
    as Wisdom Panel to accompany your application.

The registration is suspended until we receive these items. I have
    refunded the payment until we do receive them. If you would like to
    cancel the registration in full, please return the certificate to the
    address below. If you have other questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Jared

Funny thing, no where in the entire process did it require, or inform me, that I was required submit a dna result OR a side view of my dog. There was a place where I could submit a photo of my dog, but it was optional, and it did not state that it needed to be a side view.

I suspect they saw one of my posts reporting how easy it is to get a certificate from them for a non-existent dog and are trying to backtrack.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I do wonder what happens when I don't return their certificate? Will they attempt to recharge me the fee that they have refunded?
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Helidale likes this.
    That depends on how you paid them and how long it takes until the money is actually released. But, as they have said in their letter
    they are not expecting you to return the certificate unless you want to cancel the registration in full. In which case you would presumably have to pay them again, because they have said that they have already refunded the payment. Not that they will refund you on receipt by them of the certificate.

Your comment:
    sounds very much a possibility, in which case, HOW did they know you had posted that?
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Toedtoes is in my email. I also posted the details of the registration with dogs' names, etc. So easy to connect the post to the registration.

I suspect they are trying to "trick" me into returning the certificate so I won't have the proof of their registry failure. But if you look at it legally, the $20 was for the registration. IF they suspend the registration and I don't submit the additional "requirements", then they are legally not providing the registration, so they cannot legally charge me the $20 registration fee. Whether I return the physical certificate or not.

Of course, they COULD provide me with a postage paid envelope to return it and I might do so - but certainly not on my own 58+ cents.
  15. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Says they have refunded the $20, but I'm not sure that they are asking for the certificate back. Can you check at your bank or at an ATM?
    Not sure why a side photo or dna would normally be required, so yes, I think they must have seen this thread.
  16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    So far the money has not been returned despite their claim.

Their website actually states that no papers are required to register your dog. And a photo is optional.

Their email just proves that not only arethey a scam, but that they KNOW they are a scam.
  17. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka likes this.
    I’d contact your bank or credit card and protest the charge, to make sure you get it back
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It usually takes 3-4 days for refunds to show. I use Paypal whenever possible, Visa being my second choice, and both take about the same time.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Which begs the question how did they see this thread?
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    It was either this one or the one I posted on another dog forum.

Most likely, they have someone do an internet search on their company name to see what comes up.

I'm not worried about the $20. I did this knowing I was spending the money.
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That would be almost impossible. I have a Google Alert set up so that if my nearest town, Ashqelon/Ashkelon appears in any printed media anywhere in the world, for any reason at all - they just have the word/s for an alert, I get an emailed from Google. In fact one came through from Google Alerts at 2:25pm today [it is now 5:40pm] stating [incorrectly]
    that appeared on a press release from some obscure press agency in Iran.

I have mentioned Ashqelon/Ashkelon many times - on various forums/message boards etc - and yet not once has Google picked up on it. And if Google haven't picked up it, then how could an organisation like NAPR have picked up on something you posted on a forum or message board?