Need a dog! General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by melzy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    And I think this is a very good question, that I wouldn't know the answer to. What do you do if your dog needs to go to the toilet on a train? Anyone know?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    ;-)
    Oh for goodness sake........perhaps the answers shouldnt be taken so personally all the time then ! :lol:

How dare I have an opinion ? I never said you couldn't toilet train your dog ! The full question wasn't posted, so no-one could have answered it !

You know what, I'm rather tired of you putting words in my mouth and trying your hardest to look hard done by, and making me look bad in the process.

All I did was give suggestions in response to H&Z about how to find things out.
  4. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
  5. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    You make damn sure it goes before and hope for the best. :002::mrgreen: If it's being crated on the train put a puppy pad in there just incase.
  6. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Why the extreme reaction to this perfectly ordinary statement?

I got my dog at 6 months old - I didn't toilet train him - someone else did.

It's certainly not out of the realms of possibililty, is it?
  7. Heather and Zak

Name:
    heather
    Thanks it wasn't something I had thought about before this thread. It can be very difficult and messy then if it's a long journey. Yuk. Don't think other passengers would be too pleased either. It would be just my luck it would happen to me.:)
  8. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    As I said in PM to Melzy..

If its a long journey..take the pup out at each station.. or make sure it goes before and then hope it sleeps all the way home..

I think the problem is that some of the questions are common sense..especially to someone who has had dogs for 21 yrs. Pedigree dogs pee just the same as non pedigree dogs!
    I mean anyone else getting a puppy and researching and asking questions doesn't have 15 pages of a thread saying the same things over and over and still finding problems with things..
    From what I can see everyone has given their advice and Melzy has countered it with a problem..

Yes there are some posts that could have been worded better but also the defensiveness in the OP's posts is mostly unneccesary..
  9. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    ive never had to take one on a train - didnt know you could take dogs on trains - but i know you cant ask a driver to stop so you can take you dog for a walk.i had stoped posting in this thread and you started again,thats the reason i pm the message about the train in the first place,and you answerd me which was fine but then you post in here sayin im putting up barriers up :shock:
  10. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    They are common sense - to people who have been there, done that - not so much to someone who has never been through this before and wants to get everything right ;-)

Only 8 pages for me but probably from having it set to show more posts per page :002:

Personally I think that`s a good thing - the more angles a problem is looked at from, the more solutions can be put forward, then Melzy and anyone else venturing out the same way will have more varied ways to try to overcome an obstacle :grin:
    Don`t forget, a problem is never a problem to someone who has a way around it or has experience of it, but to anyone who is`nt as confident in planning and preparation as well as execution of what`s involved, that obstacle may as well be a mountain :?

It`s just frustration and lack of experience in what she is trying to prepare for, that`s all, she wants to get it right and to try to cover all contingencies with as much thought as possible to avoid potential problems - and people do get defensive when they feel a bit over-whelmed, especially by responses which are not perhaps as constructively put as they could have been :001:
  11. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Come on Patch ........Most basics ARE common sense, Especially to someone who has had dogs for 21 YEARS, pedigree, non-pedigree, 3 legged or otherwise, they all pee the same.

I've never taken a dog on a train either, BUT if I knew I had no other way and train was the only option I would call the train station and ask what my options were.

As for getting everything right.......Get What right ?

Every breeder/puppy/situation/dog/owner is very, very different, there is no exact right or wrong, it's a matter of experience, and as the OP has 21 Years experience, I think that's what Louise was trying to say.

Preparing for something is one thing, but trying to pinpoint everything exactly will only lead to disaster when things go 'slightly' different than expected. Such a huge deal is being made about the whole thing.

And I agree with Lou, Pedigrees pee (and everything else) the same as any other dog, so I too don't understand all the emphasis on things being different because the OP wants a Pedigree ! ;-)
  12. Heather and Zak

Name:
    heather
    Great post Patch. I wish I had a way with words like you. It's all in my brain but I can't get it written down.;-)
  13. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    She has been there and done that, she has had a dog before and states 21 yrs experience..thats more than me!!

I would find a way around it..if I wanted a puppy so badly..

I just wonder if she said all this to the breeder who stopped contacting her.. as I think they might have been frustrated by it too..

and lack of experience..21 years is a good length of expericence..IN fact I would be thinking people owning dogs for 21 years would be giving us the answers
  14. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    That`s not all this is down to, and lets face it, how much planning and preparation did most people put into getting a dog twenty odd years ago generally ?
    Things have moved on a lot, there is more information to help people make the right choices and to try to get things right - things which so many people never knew were not the best way way to go about things, and many even these days still get it all badly wrong - how many people do we all know who get the wrong dog for the wrong reasons and who are just not prepared at all ?

How much of Melzy`s years of dog ownership were her own dogs rather than family dogs ?
    Does Melzy have experience of buying from a breeder solo before ?

Good luck with that :lol: I find contacting public transport help desks a bit of a minefield and if you gave me a timetable to figure out you would get to see me melt into a gibbering mess, I`ve never been able to fathom them.

Put me in a room with a dangerous dog and I`ll work with that dog. I might get bitten or I might not, I`d be prepared to take the risk if I could help that dog.

But ask me to get on a bus alone ?
    It aint gonna happen :shock:
    I`m too scared of getting on the wrong one, that and having had my face mashed in a bus crash - its all down to confidence, not everyone has confidence in all areas of life.

Everything possible :grin: From choosing the right breeder, the right lines for the hoped for traits, the right toys, grooming kit, food types, heck even which colour collar to get :002:
    * subliminal message*purple purple purple

Exactly - and experience of buying a pup from a breeder and travelling to get said pup is something she has not got yet - which is why she is asking for help from people who do have the experience, and preferably who can have a bit of empathy for someone who is not confident about it and needs helpful guidance

That`s why she is trying to cover all angles as much as possible - so she can come up with back-up plans should something go awry - some people get by on a wing and a prayer, some people don`t.
    When I go somewhere in my van, I make sure my spare tyre is ok, that the jack is where it should be, and to have at least some basic tools on board, plus a torch, a change of cloths, you name it - do I `need` all that lot ?
    Nope, not so far.
    But you can bet the one time I leave it all out is going to be the time I`ll get a flat tyre in the middle of nowhere at night and in pouring rain :lol:
    The more contingencies which are covered the less they will be needed but woe betide not bothering at all ;-)

Its just one consideration, nothing to do wih a pedigree or not, all to do with a long distance journey and managing things for a pups little bladder, surely better to ask such a sensible question than to keep quiet for fear of ridicule ?
    Plus, the less time Melzy feels she needs to defend herself for asking questions, the sooner she can concentrate on utilising the positive help and useful links which have been posted ;-)

And if none of the above helps you to have a bit more empathy for Melzy, I shall have to let Heather and Zak down :blush: by putting things another way :

Oi, give the lass a break or I`ll be giving you a virtual poke in the eye with a sharp virtual stick
    :019: :019: :019: :019: :019:

;-)
  15. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Right that's it.......... :lol:

My point exactly, yet Melzy doesn't want to look for it ;-)

But my point is that Hundreds of people buy dogs each month, and many, many do the right thing, find the right breeder etc, without the help that Melzy has been given and without all the potential problems she thinks she will have regarding just about everything. Other people do manage to find the perfect dog, it just takes effort to do the research.

But if you want something as badly as Melzy apparently does, you would go out of your way, wouldnt you.

You can't say in one breath, she wants to move heaven and earth to find the right dog, then in the next breath, she can't do anything because everything is a minefield !

What is all THAT about woman ??? :lol: Subliminal messages ! You must be low on Raspberries :lol:

Nobody is born with that experience. Everyone does it for the first time. Has Melzy yet contacted the BC breed club as advised, and asked about breeders etc ?

On another earlier thread, she stated everything that someone would already advise about buying a pup, and even went into detail about crates, what to ask breeders, what tests to ask for, and what to expect from a breeder, what more can you know, as any good breeder will give lots of info about puppyhood, plus should be there to answer any queries. I'm not saying to not ask people here, it just seems that answers are being continually objected to, when it seems she really already knows the answers.:002:

I hope she does use the positive advice, because she's been given lots of it, not only on this thread, in fact most of what's here was covered on an earlier thread ;-)

Well. how very dare you ........ :019: :019: :019: :019: :019: :019:

THERE, that should keep you topped up for a while :lol: ;-)
  16. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Like that eh, gloves are off :062: :lol:

But she does - she is looking for it - here on Dogsey :grin:

And confidence

Yes - as long as it does`nt involve bus`es :shock:

She is trying her best - I think she is just lacking in confidence - and that won`t change if she feels asking a question will get her responses which are not exactly understanding of that lack of confidence :?

It was just a gentle suggestion of a brilliant collar colour
    *whistles innocently*

Now you come to mention it, I am rather :lol:

She has now had some recommendations to follow up I think - which she would`nt have gotten without asking questions ;-)

Again, its all down to confidence, and perhaps self expression - not everyone finds it easy to come across well in writing - I certainly don`t :blush:

I`m sure she will - and hopefully so will others who come along and see answers to questions which have been put which might help them too :grin:

About bloomin` time too :mrgreen: I was starting to wonder what it would take to get a new raspberry quota, you`ve been darned stingy with them lately ya know :lol:
  17. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    Erm wtf is going on here?:evil:
    using my rasbs,,,,,

bad enough that patch one is at it but I thought better of you malady{bet you heard that statement so often at school} lmao but hey call yerselfs mates,,,

18. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    Hah, you can`t talk, I can`t even remember the last time you gave me raspberries, I feel abandoned
    :022: :022: :022:

*sniffle* at least Malady understands my need for raspberries :p and I don`t think poor Ramble has had any for ages either, how can we out do each other for collections if they are being withheld by the Master Raspberrier, snot fair *sniffle*
  19. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    as hard as it is to say,,, I dont often disagree with you, malady or rumble with ramble these days,,, well seen the docking ban is firmly in place,,,,lol
  20. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    I see my last post (145) has gone completely unanswered by Melzy. Why is that, I wonder?
  21. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    cause i went to sleep DOH