Need a dog! General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by melzy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    i could have had a dog the time ive wasted in here defending myself
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    No doubt you'll answer it now, then? :D
  4. MaryS

MaryS New Member

Name:
    Mary
    Goodness what a thread :shock:

I am fairly new to Dogsey, but I'm not sure this discussion would have continued on other boards...not because it would have been terminated, just because it would not have been fed as much as this one. It now seems to have morphed into a discussion between Melzy supporters and detractors. Both Patch and Malady have made valid, pertinent points, trying to compensate for the brevity of the OPs somewhat confused posts (sorry Melzy, no offence meant) but no-one can reliably second guess where Melzy is coming from, and forgive me, but I don't see the point, as it isn't going anywhere, and for me is becoming a little irritating.

From a very personal view, I think people with dogs are super folk, but it is all too easy to become an 'expert' on these boards, based on years of experience of dog ownership. In general, posts and posters can occasionally come across as all-knowing beings and everyone else is just, well, dumb!

I had rescues (and more recently feral/pariah dogs) for years and others did (still do!) see me as a resource, especially on behaviour. However buying a pedigree for the first time was a different ball-park. Pedigrees, lines, types, behavioural conformation, ringcraft 'or' obedience, health tests, breed clubs and genetic predisposition etc. I had come across very few of these things before: it was all a learning experience and I asked some pretty daft questions. I also listened to plausible answers that (it has subsequently transpired) turned out to be poppycock.

One thing may help a bit. When asking a question or posting a new topic, if posters try to explain the reasons behind their question and put a bit more detail explaining their decisions to date, it might save a great deal of time...... rather than cross-questioning after the event, and taking polarised positions on the defensive responses, which merely feeds a circular argument on positions and the dogs get completely lost in it all.

Cheers

Mary
  5. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    A good post Mary.I must admit I gave up on this thread as it was losing me in it`s ever decreasing circles.
  6. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    An excellent post Mary - I couldn't agree more. :D
    [​IMG]
  7. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Off topic posts moved here :)
  8. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    I've done it twice now and I just made sure they had a big run about the garden with their siblings and mum at their breeder's house before I set off, had a poo and a wee and hadn't had any breakfast either which is another point, and obviously hadn't had a drink just before either. They both slept all the way home then after wearing them out before we set off. I didn't crate them on the train though. I had Dusty in my jacket and I carried Mad. If it were a longer journey I should think it would be likely that you would need to change trains at some point anyway. If it were any longer than 5 hours i'd have probably arranged a lift. When I got my Siamese cat her breeder brought her because of the distance and I didn't drive. Most breeders wouldn't mind bringing the pup if you paid the expenses and they had met you first obviously and you had been down to see them and the pups on a few occasions.
  9. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    I have been lucky in that all mine have been brought home in the car. But am just thinking now when we brought Zak home from Hereford he was great all the way until about 2 miles from home when he threw up all over me it was everywhere, so glad that wasn't on a train. lol
  10. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    That's exactly what I did when I picked up Lennon, and then a year later Mya. To me it was just common sense.....
  11. Wolfie

Wolfie New Member

Name:
    Corrie
    Excellent post Mary :grin:

Melzy, you've been given some very good advice on this thread. Buying a pedigree can be a minefield for the novice, but some of it can be common sense too :) Sometimes it seems like there's more questions than answers, but providing you do all your research, then this won't be the case.

I wish you all the best in finding your pup :grin:
  12. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Luck of the draw I guess! They didn't have breakfast though so nothing to be sick either, it was a well planned procedure worthy of MI9. Although I have to say I wouldn't have minded a bit of embarrassment on the train for getting my girls.
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Picking up a puppy and travelling by train would be no different from travelling by car as the pup cannot be let out of the car to toilet due to having no current vaccs.

I drove to Dorset (600 mile round trip) with a friend to pick up Isla. We stopped halfway and popped her on a puppy pad in the boot, but she refused to go. It turns out she had a pee on the vetbed she was sat on on the way home anyway, so I think as long as you have a crate with vetbed in you'd have no problem with a young pup. :D
  14. melzy

melzy New Member

Name:
    melzy
    thanks thats what i will do.
  15. Trixy

Trixy

Name:
    Jasmine
    All the best in your search Melzy :)
  16. youngstevie

youngstevie

We had that with Skye too...Bless, had to stop twice though when she poo'd .................luvvvvvvvvvvvvly. Fortunately we didn't take the Motorway!!!!!:roll: so our journey was longer, but didn't regret it:lol: