New here, wits end! Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Chickhawk, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    May I ask why Daisy is alone outside with the door closed?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, it is far better to build up to this degree of separation in TINY steps, otherwise you risk making her sep. anx. worse. If you need a barrier, you could try using a baby gate, so she knows that she has not been left alone.
  4. Chickhawk

Chickhawk New Member

Name:
    Sab
    I put Daisy outside alone for about 10-15 minutes at a time to get her used to the door being closed so she doesn't freak out, and can actually play outside and enjoy some exercise.
    The only way she plays is when I'm standing outside with her and she will run around and be a regular dog but I HAVE to be around or she just stands at the back door and whInes, or starts to frantically try and claw at it when I go inside without her. She only gets praise when she's quietly sitting at the door to be let in. I'm trying to show her that me going inside doesnt mean I'm gone forever. I'm trying to get her playing outside alone for a bit as a safe space for her to feel comfortable and feel like she has a little freedom to play.
    When we go on walks I can't control her because the moment she comes across another dog she's screaming and squealing and frantically flipping out like someone is skinning her alive. I keep apologizing to anyone we come near but they can't hear me because she's screaming so hard. People look at me like I have the devil on a leash. It's very hard to enjoy walks and burn off the energy she has so I was hoping she would play outside.
  5. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    @Chickhawk would be nice to know how things are. :)
  6. Marla Wilson

Marla Wilson New Member

Name:
    Marla Wilson
    Greetings all. I'm new here and this was the first post I read through. I'm an experienced dog owner, but always before with large breeds. After a recent major back surgery, and realizing that I can't physically do search and rescue, agility and therapy training and work with big dogs, I thought well what the heck, downsizing would be brilliant!

I still have my fabulous 6-yr-old Standard poodle Ziva, with whom I did obedience, agility, and even service work for my now-deceased mom. On a lark I went with a neighbor looking at a minpin litter at a breeder, and fell in love with a little red male pup whom I brought home at 9 weeks and whose name is Dietz.

I did read up on the breed and was somewhat prepared for this confident, high-energy fellow. He is now 4-1/2 months old. But though he is a sweet sweet pup, I'm finding some challenges, which is why I sought out this forum and was reading this post.

After reading about the trials the OP was struggling through and the various responses, I feel guilty for thinking I had any problems at all! But you have all given me a great insight to help keep the good things going and minimize the difficulties. I too would love to know how it all worked out. And I thank you for all the content here!

I also realize that my Ziva has been a huge help in the early stages of raising Dietz. They are best buddies, and having the influence of a calm and well trained older dog has no doubt saved me many extra bits already. In light of all this, I'm very fortunate and thank you again everyone!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Marla - welcome to you, Ziva and little Dietz from Tikva and me -:039:

I hope you have recovered well from your back surgery - I know from experience that taking on a young puppy can be rather challenging for someone with back problems, especially a little bundle of non-stop energy like a Minpin.

I had forgotten about this thread but having read through it again I wonder how @Chickhawk got on with Daisy and whether she managed to cope or had to give her up. I had also forgotten how difficult Tikva could be when she went through the teenage stage - in her case it was not a case of "the best of both breeds" coming out, but "the worst of both breeds".

But... Tikki will be three-years-old in just over five weeks time [I wonder where the last three years went?] and although she is still fairly vocal at times it is always for a good reason, such as telling me when someone is walking down the path and if it is a friend or someone she does not know, if I am not in the room to see outside. As for if there is a loose dog wandering about, she will bark until it goes away - my yard is unfenced although she cannot get out of it as she is on a 12m tether.

Anyhow, are there any specific problems with Dietz that we can possibly help you with? And please may we have pictures of both him and Ziva? Lots of pictures! :)