New job, long hours, hope dogs adjust ok General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by who owns who, Jan 6, 2019.

1. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc

New job, long hours, hope dogs adjust ok

So I’ve had to find new employment as the person who I was helping to remodel his house has run low on funds. Many of the jobs I’ve seen are 4 days a week, 10hrs a day. I feel like this is a very long time to leave them but right now I’ve got no choice, I need to work. I have until Tuesday to accept a temporary job that will go thru early April, 4 days a week, 10hrs a day. Another job I’ve applied for is also 10hrs a day, 4 days a week, I’d prefer this job as it pays better, isn’t temporary, and has decent benefits.

I was working less hours a day but more days a week. Occasionally they were left for 8+hrs but usually was more like 6.5-8hrs. They never have accidents in the house but occasionally would race out the door when I got home to go poop or pee.

Now they will be left for about 10.75 hours a day. I leave them in the house as I know they could dig under the fence easily if they wanted too. When I’m home they don’t, but I’d worry what they might do when left for so long. Also in the summer it can get very hot and the house stays cooler.

I will have to give them a good walk in the morning after breakfast to make sure they take care of any business they need to, and to try and tire them out so they mostly sleep while I’m gone. I live too rural to have a dog walker come to get them, and don’t have any neighbors that would be willing to help out. It’s an unfortunate situation I currently find myself in but will need to make the best of it that I can.

On top of the new work schedule I’m going to take a class, probably at night, as well. At least they can take the drive with me and wait in my truck for me, weather permitting. They love to go for drives and I think they’d prefer this to staying home.

I know this isn’t ideal... please don’t be too harsh on me. They aren’t little puppies and are more or less used to spending a fair amount of time with out me. If you don’t think I should do this I can set up an account for you to deposit money into so I can just play with the dogs all day!! Just kidding
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Firstly they will not be alone because they have each other for company. Secondly, if they are used to being left for 6½-8 hours, I do not think the extra time should be a problem. After all, dogs do not have the same understanding of time as we do and you have been working so they are used to being left. Would they even be aware that you are away an hour or so longer?

As you say Marc, you have no choice, and sitting around waiting for a job that suits your hours might take forever. So unless you can come to an arrangement with either the offered job or the one you have applied for, to work for five instead of four days so you can work the same number of hours each week but shorter hours each day, I do not know what to suggest.

All I can say is Good Luck and that I hope you can come to a conclusion that suits you all.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I'm sure, that we'd love to be with our dogs 24/7 but needs must.
    It might be worth getting a decent kennel and secure run, that way they can see around them, and watch any goings-on.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    We know it will be playing heavily on your mind, you love your dogs
    From what I know from my Akita who is still a pup ( 2 years old ) once he has has all his requirements met, he sleeps and sleeps and sleeps
    They don’t need huge amounts of exercise even given their size
    The only thing I would add is leave them some things around that may keep them occupied should they need it, as long as you know they won’t fight !
    Great news that you are able to excercise them before you leave
    It’s going to be a lot of long days for you, but, great news that you have found some work, as an add on to that we understand if you go quiet on us for a while
    Good luck with everything
    Philippa & Yoji
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Given your circumstances, you have no alternative. Bills need to be paid, and they will have to adapt. Without us moving around, our dogs would sleep a great deal of the time anyway. If the weather was cool enough could they stay in the truck while you work, and maybe have a run at lunch time? My dogs used to be happy enough in the van. I have even taken puppies to work with me - but it does rather depend how much freedom you have in your job.
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Thank you all for understanding the situation. It will be an adjustment as I’ll be leaving them a couple more hours then they are used too, but I’ve never seen them watching a clock so hopefully they won’t mind too much. Neither job has negotiable hours. I don’t think the job offered would appreciate my dogs in my truck in the parking lot and even if they did I’d have to keep moving it into the shade.

The job I’d like, installing solar panels, I think I’d be in a company vehicle and at clients house’s so the dogs wouldn’t fly there..

I’m having my deep well submersible pump replaced on Tuesday, rain permitting, and that’s eating up my reserves (as well as quite a few repairs on my truck over the last 8 months), so a secure outside kennel isn’t in the cards right now, plus it can get very hot in the summer, too hot to leave them outside some days. Also Katie Mae wants to eat her poo again, so generally needs to be supervised when outside.. I think they are generally pretty happy inside, and have windows they can see what’s going on outside, which isn’t much as I only have 2 neighborhors that live past me. I really hope the rain cooperates so the pump guys get get their large rig down the dirt road to pull up all the pipe and pump to replace it. The road is steep and windy, they’ve been here before. It looks like we will be having rain for parts of every day for at least the next 10 days. If I got the solar job I probably wouldn’t be working much right now..

I really don’t like getting up in the morning, and if I didn’t have dogs I’d stay under the covers until the very last minute I could.. When on my previous job, some days was just play in the yard before work, other days a short 1 mile walk. Leaving them so long I feel like they’ll need more exercise before I leave, but maybe not... They are also lazy in the morning, as that’s been the routine I’ve established for them. Often when I’d put them outside early, they’d do their business and just want to come back inside on their beds and go back to sleep.

I do leave them with plenty of toys, which they share and play tug-o-war with, but wouldn’t feel safe leaving stuffed Kong’s or bones, as Bandit gets food aggressive. His body totally stiffens up after meals, completely offended that Katie Mae eats too.... It only lasts a few minutes, but he acts like he’d like to kill her... The strange thing is if I give them both a dental chew right after a meal, they will each go to a bed and chomp on it. Bandit has no issues afterwards...No issue with treats either...
    When I watch them play, sometimes just 5-10 minutes after a meal, you wouldn’t think that he acted like he wanted to kill her just minutes earlier. Strange beasts they are.

The sky has been dumping down rain hard all day, since early this morning while it was still dark. They have no interest in going for a walk in this. Just outside to do their business and back in. Took quite a while for each to find a spot they were happy with as the yard was full of large puddles, almost one big puddle. While waiting on them a made it so most of it could drain with a shovel, so now I have a tiny stream... Behind the house is a very steep hill, and the house is on a spot carved out of said hill. Supposed to keep up like this into the night. We do very much need the rain though
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    T’was a dark and drizzly night... to walk the dogs after a long work day. I stopped on my way home to get new batteries for my headlamp (torch). They survived their first long day at home, and oh boy were they excited to see me.

We took a long walk in the dark, and they really needed it after being cooped up inside for 10.75 hours. It’s very peaceful walking in the drizzly darkness, with just the light from my headlamp set on low. I couldn’t see far because of the fog. They did pull hard a few times, there must have been some wildlife in the forest near bye, I don’t think it was a deer, as I’d have probably heard it. Maybe a cat? Or just a raccoon. I felt quite safe even if it was a big cat as I don’t think it would bother me with 2 good size dogs.

I fed them dinner and afterwards gave them both a part of a dental chew. I’ve discovered that if I do this after meals Bandit doesn’t get aggressive towards Katie Mae for eating. I don’t understand why, but as long as he doesn’t act like he wants to kill her, I’m happy. Five minutes after this he will play with her like best buds. The food aggression is very strange, and unnerving. I’m going to keep up on the after meal chews, as it seems to work like magic in warding off his after meal aggression.

After I made and ate my dinner I fussed over them for a bit and then sat down to read up on some of the days news (not sure why I bother, but I like to stay informed). Katie Mae hadn’t gotten enough attention to satisfy her after being home alone for so long, so I pet her with one hand for a long time, and then she just licked my hand and forearm for what must have been 20 minutes before laying down to sleep next to me.

Bandit will get up on the bed for about 10 or 15 minutes of fuss and maybe a little cuddle before going off to his own bed. I find it very relaxing, for us both, before going to sleep. Katie Mae will too sometimes, separately from Bandit, but she’s still young and hyper, so giving her attention before sleep is not nearly as relaxing, Now in the morning it’s a great way to wake up!!!

I guess I’m off to bed to do it all over again tomorrow. Just wanted to let you all know that they seemed to do ok, even if they were quite amped to see me when I got home, both standing up on the door looking at me as I unlocked it, and having poor manners and jumping on me... I was too tired to care about them doing this, but I’ll probably have to put an end to it soon, before it becomes a habit.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pleased they were OK. No wees or damage? These long days must be tiring for yourself too - do you have weekends off? Hopefully it wont be too long before something more suitable turns up.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    It is good to hear that Bandit and Katie Mae were OK even if they did forget their manners and jumped on you - understandable though under the circumstances. I am sure their manners will come back quickly - you have trained them very well. :)
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bless them it will take a little while for them to get into new routine.
    I don’t envy you walking in the dark with all that wildlife around.

When I first had the Akita’s we lived in a small village with no street lights.
    I had a few really scary experiences walking in the dark.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    No accidents or damage, although after I got home, Katie Mae ripped the stuffing out of a toy my mother got them for the holidays. It wasn’t that well made.. She usually gets them higher quality stuff.

They aren’t trained that well...

I enjoy walking in the dark. I’ve lived here for 27 years and I’m not at all intimidated, well I am walking with 2 young Akitas.. Mountain lions will go for easier prey. Only creature I don’t want to surprise is a skunk. I love living with no street lights or neighbors lights, or what I call light pollution.