New Mama to Hank... American Bulldog and need help Introductions

Discussion in 'American Bulldog' started by Hank's Mama, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Hank's Mama

Hank's Mama New Member

Name:
    Kat Duncan

New Mama to Hank... American Bulldog and need help

Hank is 10 weeks old and when we first got him he was very energetic. The last two days I have noticied that he is getting up and walking a few feet and then plopping down. He just got his shots on the 19th of this month and at first I thought he was ill from it. He is eating and going to the bathroom just fine. He is not running a fever and his gums are nice and pink, when i push on them, the pink goes away but quickly turns back to pink. He sleeps alot but I know puppies do sleep alot, the back legs convern me. We have a vet appointment today at 4p, but I was hoping maybe someone would have some insight before we go. I just need some peace of mind, I am scared that something is horribly wrong.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You are right in going to the vet. Unless it is dreadfully hot where you live, it would worry me too. Please come back and let us know what your vet says about Hank.
  4. Hank's Mama

Hank's Mama New Member

Name:
    Kat Duncan
    It is very hot where we live, it has been in the 90's without heat index for a couple weeks. He doesn't spend too much time in the heat, only to potty
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do hope that your vet can set your mind at rest and that Hank is OK. It is even hotter here at the moment and my little one will not stay out for long, even though she usually delights in standing on her hind legs so she can watch the world go by.

I was reading something the other day - no idea where - that if you put the back of your hand down on the sidewalk and cannot keep it down for five seconds then it is too hot for your furkid to be out.
  6. Hank's Mama

Hank's Mama New Member

Name:
    Kat Duncan
    So we are home. Hank has a horrible case of Coccidia which causes some neurological issues, that is why he is dragging the hind legs. He also has pnemonia. He is on 4 different meds and thankfully was not dehydrated which would have made it a whole lot worse. They ran tests and he is negative for parvo. That was my greatest fear.So he is resting now on the family room floor and I will sleep again with him on the floor in my bedroom to make sure he is breathing. I am excited to be part of this forum and look forward to sharing in Hanks progress as he heals and as he grows
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Did Hank come from a legitimate breeder and do you know whether his dam had been treated for worms before she was mated and also before she whelped? And were Hank and his litter-mates treated for worms before you got him? You say he is 10 weeks old - how old was he when you brought him home? And had you taken him out before he had his shots - presumably the first puppy shots.

A main sign of Coccidia, which is frequently common in young puppies, is diarrhoea and yet in your OP you say Hank is "going to the bathroom just fine" - and unless I have missed it, Coccidia does not normally cause neurological issues or pneumonia.

I would query the worm subject with his breeder, and also ask if s/he has had any reports from the owners of Hank's litter-mates. I would also get a second opinion from another vet, as stuffing such a young puppy with four different medications seems rather a lot on just one vet's opinion at just one visit.
  8. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Great advice “ team “ although I can’t help I’m interested in Hanks recovery
    Would you recommend a second opinion ?
    @Hank's Mama i think I would consider a second opinion, sooner rather than later !
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    I agree. A "horrible" case of Coccidia should mean quite a lot of diarrhea. Has nothing to do with dragging his back legs. I would get another opinion if possible as well. Certain strains can be passed to people as well and I see you very close to him in your photo. Might want to use caution until he tests clear.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    What tests did the vet carry out to get the diagnosis?
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    As the others say. Usually needs a poo analysis to screen for giardia and coccidia, but it is possible the vet is treating for them as a precaution. However, I would expect there to be soft poos. Puzzling, but I hope little Hank responds quickly.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Something just does not add up though. Coccidia does not does not normally cause neurological issues or pneumonia.

So how come the vet diagnoses neurological issues at one visit, and pneumonia?

Please take your dog to a vet who knows what he/she actually does know what he/she knows about.