Older Heeler introducing new heeler puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Kurtis2244, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Kurtis2244

Kurtis2244 New Member

Name:
    Kurt

Older Heeler introducing new heeler puppy

I have just received a 10 year old female blue heeler. She needed to be rehomed. She was never spayed and I'm not going to do it at 10yrs old. She's great with other people and other dogs and has been around many other dogs. My question is: I'm looking into getting a puppy blue heeler. Female I guess cuz she is not spayed. Wondering if anyone has been in this situation and how it has worked out with a new puppy and an older blue heeler who is great with other dogs. Not sure where to go from here.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You say that your older girl is sweet tempered so I think you will be OK. I would want them to be able to eat separately in the early days, and your old girl will need some peace from constant puppy mauling, so I would invest in one or two baby gates. That way you can give the puppy some time out but she can still be a part of the family activities.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    It also depends on your older girl's history. If she been bred repeatedly and the puppies sold by 8 weeks, she may have a desire to raise a puppy.

If that is the case, you will see it immediately. My 6 year old female shepherd was like that - she was literally trying to climb over me to get out the car window as soon as she saw the puppy being carried over. They've been inseparable ever since.

As to gender, will you be spaying/neutering the puppy? If you will be fixing the puppy, then you could go either gender.

The "don't neuter until over 2 years old" is really for large breed dogs because they take longer to reach physical maturity. With medium and small breeds that concern of muscular-skeletal issues is less and neutering earlier can reduce risk of cancers. So, if you plan on neutering a male puppy between 6 and 9 months, you wouldn't have to separate much if at all.

For me, my preference on gender and neutering would be:

1st choice - unspayed female and neutered male
    2nd choice - unspayed female and spayed female
    3rd choice - two unspayed females.

At 10 years old now for the older dog, you are unlikely to see hormonal competition between two unspayed females when the puppy reaches maturity but it is possible. If it does happen, you may have to separate them permanently for the rest of the older dog's life. If you spay the younger dog between 6 and 9 months, you are less likely to see any such issues.

This would be worth discussing with the breeder and/or your vet.