Potential new Akita owner- Have some questions. Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by libby marment, Oct 30, 2019.

1. libby marment

libby marment New Member

Name:
    Libby Marment

Potential new Akita owner- Have some questions.

Hi!
    I'm looking to adopt an American Akita and was wondering how mouthy they are? If they are mouthy what type of mouthiness would it be? Would it be a sort of chew or just a grab and drag?
    Do they have a tendancy to bark a lot and lastly, generally, how well do they get along with other dogs?

Cheers,
    -Libby
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi Libby, Akitas can be mouthy. I have 2, and one of them I’d obsessed with licking, the other one likes to lick, but not as obsessed. Some, but not mine, do like to take your hand in their mouth and take you to something they want. You do need to train them at a young age to not bite and nip, but with regular gentle reminders they learn fast.

Generally they do not bark much, but pay attention when they do. Most Akitas do not get along with other dogs as they grow older, but as puppies they do, and they generally don’t get along with dogs of the same sex.

You said you were looking to adopt an American Akita, I was wondering what age dog, and if you’ve owned other dogs before. An Akita is definitely not a good breed for a first time owner.
  4. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira
    CaroleC likes this.
  5. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira
    Hi Libby ,

I wasn't able to mention in my first reply that i am only providing the link only for information and not to refer you to this Vet Center