Probiotics for dogs Diet

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Probiotics for dogs

Do you give your dog/s probiotics? If so which ones, how often and do they take them willingly :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    When I remember,I sprinkle on Pooch & Mutt's Bionic Biotic, which claims to reduce itching and scratching, promote coat growth and healthy skin, and promote solid stools and healthy digestion. It's a powder, and they don't seem to notice it at all.

As a change I sometimes give them a dollop of live yogurt.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz likes this.
    Mine have a dollop of natural yoghourt or kefir on their evening meal and sometimes Bryndza a probiotic goat's cheese from Slovakia which they're particularly fond of. They always eat the "topping" first so I can only assume they like it!
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Azz likes this.
    Not as routine but I do give Natural Live Goats Milk Yogurt if they have dodgy tum or have been on antibiotics, no probs giving it.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Azz and Pork1epe1 like this.
    I have cut back on some of Eddie's supplements, as I don't want anything to interfere with his thyroid / calcium / cholesterol blood test readings. (See the thread, Eddie's Ongoing Health Problems) - Sigh!
    However, he still has Actimel with Protexin, and Azz's invaluable suggestion, rejuvelac for his breakfast, and the sauerkraut (from which it is derived), with mixed veggies and Omega 3/6 on his main meal at lunchtime. Merry really didn't know what to make of this when she came, but was soon saying, 'I want some of that too!'.

We are due for a new set of blood tests this week. I'll update the lad's health thread when I have the results.
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    Just replied to this on Dogsey but No never seen the need, never had a dog with a dodgy tummy.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Azz likes this.
    Typically I don't but if I do it's only yogurt not I've not used any of the special supplements.
  9. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Azz likes this.
    One of my dogs became very ill because she lost the good bacteria in her stomach and intestines. She will be on probiotics for several months per my vet as she could die from this.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pereg always had Green Dog Naturals, Whole Dog Daily, but because of her epilepsy medication she needed extra supplements. She also had bio yoghurt and being raw fed I gave her whatever supplements I thought she might be missing.

Tiny puppy Tikva is now weaned and is two thirds on raw, so I have just started giving her supplements - she has a quarter of the Whole Dog Daily probiotic and so far she chombles it happily.

I did give her bio yoghurt once but she threw it up so have not tried it again. Yet.
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Might be worth seeing if she likes goat's yogurt. Supposed to be easier for them to digest.

Can't stand it myself - nor goat's cheese or milk - but the dogs don't seem to mind!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That is an idea - the macolet now sells goats milk and yoghurt - I think they also have goats cheese.

Tikva was just so young and had not been weaned, so it is very much "try it and see" now she is mostly on raw. Seems to suit her though so I am not arguing. She is just so tiny.
  13. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Seeing as I am as old as dirt...From an age before milk substitute for humans or dogs had been invented....When I had pups that needed to be hand reared I made formula from goats milk and honey just like was done for human babies back then. They thrived on it. Since then I have fed it to puppies, kittens, raccoons, squirrels, a prairie dog, pretty much any mammal, with great success. Oh, and one newborn harbor seal that was rejected by it's mother. It took almost a week to find a sanctuary willing to take her.