Rabies vaccination Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Rabies vaccination

It is mandatory in Israel for dogs to have a yearly rabies shot even though the protocol for the vaccination is every three years. The rabies shot here is registered under the dogs microchip number and the owners ID number, and is counted as a dog licence. Not that everyone bothers but I have always done and always will.

However, Tikva was due for a rabies shot a month ago and I have been unable to contact Vadim, out Local Authority vet who is responsible for giving and registering rabies shots. In all the years I have known him, which was since Lexi came into my life, he has usually needed a couple of telephone calls before he just turns up with no notice - when he has to come onto the Moshav for any reason. Local
    Authority vets being responsible for the health and welfare of cows for milk, chickens [and turkeys] for meat and for eggs etc - they are not small animal vets. But - they give and register rabies shots. Private vets are not.

And I cannot get hold of Vadim. All I get is his answerphone. Ram cannot get hold of him either so has suggested that I try for another couple of days and if unsuccessful he, Ram, will get onto the Local Authority, the thing being that Ram cannot give rabies shots as only LA vets can do so.

So where does that leave me? And Tikva of course. Whether other dogs on the Moshav, or the stray and dumped dogs that end up here are vaccinated or not is not my problem. My problem is that unless Tikva has a rabies shot by the end of this month, and Heaven forfend she bites someone [highly unlikely] or there is a rabies scare in the area [and it has happened more than once], if there is no record of her having had a current rabies vaccination she could be taken and... well, that does not bare thinking about.

But as Ram said, as Vadim is responsible for all animals and poultry for human consumption in the Local Authority area, which is the whole of Hof Ashqelon, if he is on vacation or is on sick leave, surely he would have a locum?

As an aside, regular vets are lobbying for the rabies shot to be every two years instead of yearly, but so far the Ministry of Agriculture has not made a decision about it.

And I am still concerned that Tikva will not be legally covered if she does not have the shot by the end of this month.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What a worry. Could you email the Local Authority asking for advice? That way you would have proof on your own PC that you have tried to conform with the regulations.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Not really Carole as I cannot type in Ivrit and I doubt anyone there would understand English. In any case I think it better to leave it up to Ram if I cannot get hold of Vadim, as he will know how to go about things.

I suppose in the worst case scenario Ram could arrange for the Municipality vet in Ashqelon to vaccinate Tikva, the surgery being in Ashqelon - I live in the Hof Ashqelon Regional Council area not the Ashqelon Municipality area.

I am not over worried about Tikva as I know she is covered herself due to the three year protocol of the actual rabies vaccine, but there have been rabies scares in the past and in such cases the areas concerned are quarantined and stray/loose dogs picked up. I do not think there has actually been an outbreak of rabies anywhere in the recent past, but I just do not want to risk things.

Far too many people just do not bother. They do not get their dogs neutered or spayed, nor do they bother with any vaccinations - because this is a throwaway society as far as dogs go. Except for pedigree dogs - in all the years I used to go to the surgery with first Lexi, before Ram started coming here for her shots, and then with Pereg when she had to go for three-monthly blood tests - I never saw a mixed-breed dog there.

And of those who do both to get their dogs the puppy shots, how many bother with boosters? I also wonder how many bother with the now three-monthly shots for Parkworm - I doubt if there are many.

I well remember people saying "get rid of her, you can always get another dog" when Pereg first developed epilepsy. They thought I was crazy spending so much on her medication and veterinary treatment. My answer to that was would they say the same if it was their child? I do not think there is an answer to that and I do not regret what it cost because I loved Pereg and nothing was too good, or cost too much for her. I miss her so much.
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    What a dilemma to be in
    To help cover your self, regard your actions and efforts to get the vaccination, maybe you should keep a file with records of times, dates and any e mails you have sent
    This may help if anyone questions you at a later date
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There is a record on my little cellphone of the number of times I have dialed Vadim's telephone number but I cannot send any emails. Nobody would question me and any major problem would only occur if there was a rabies scare and this area was put in quarantine. In such a case there would be a quarantine notice at the entrance of all communities and only stray/loose dogs would be picked up.

Tikva is tethered and cannot even reach the pavement or even get loose from her tether - and she can definitely not get out of her new harness.

But I will still be happier once her card has been marked and signed by Vadim - or the Ashqelon Municipality vet if Ram has to arrange it.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Vadim is still not answering and I have given up leaving messages because if he does check his telephone he will see my number as a missed call yet again, and I know he has seen that I have been calling as he sent a two word SMS message earlier saying he was at a meeting.

The thing is that as he has to keep a record of all the rabies vaccinations he gives - he has forms that he has to send to the Ministry of Agriculture and he keeps copies - he obviously knows that Tikva's rabies shot is now overdue, and has he has to come onto the Moshav regularly I would have though that he would have come here not long after my first telephone call to him.

It is just so frustrating... and getting to be annoying now.
  8. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hi Malka. Have you been able to get in touch with Tikva's vet? Just wondering and I hope so.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Unfortunately not, Jessica. I left yet another message on Vadim's voicemail message this morning and have also telephoned the Local Authority who said they would also leave a message for him - he is, after all, the Local Authority vet, not a private vet.

Ram, Tikva's vet has also tried to contact him with the same result, and until Vadim acknowledges the messages there is nothing more than can be done at the moment.

The one consolation is that there has not been a reported case of rabies in the country so far this year, although there is no way of guaranteeing that there has not been any in the wildlife - at least none has been known.