Raw feeding questions Diet

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica

Raw feeding questions

Hello,

I have some questions on raw feeding as the title to my post suggests.

Is it ok to feed a dog part raw and part dry food or is it recommended to feed all raw? I have heard a lot about the benefits of a raw diet and am just wondering. Also, what types of meats, bones, etc. are recommended for the raw diet? Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Mine all eat part raw, part dry (and part wet lol).
    If he's not had raw before, it's usually a good idea to start off with one protein before adding more. Be careful with too much too soon offal too; they can have a laxative effect!
    In general, most bones are ok bar the weight baring ones in larger animals (cow leg bones etc)

Have you read up about raw at all before?
    The general guide is 80:10:10 muscle meat:bone:eek:ffal (half of that being liver, the other half other secreting organs), though that doesnt necessarily mean he needs that ratio every day.
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanks for the info. I have done some research and it is a bit overwhelming. You have condensed it all for me. Thanks again!
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is what started me raw feeding Pereg in, I think, July/August 2011. It took a while to get her diet sorted as she had been fed on kibble before I learned about raw feeding, but I am feeding the same to little Tikva now, started when I had weaned her, although of course in much smaller amounts.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=137215
    The only difference is that Pereg had her "wet" meal [raw meat and vegetables with all her supplements] early afternoon, and her bone meal in the evening - usually half a raw chicken back, bought fresh and frozen by me, given to her straight from the freezer.

Tikva has her bone meal [either a chicken neck, chicken wing or fresh sardine - all bought fresh and frozen by me, given straight from the freezer] at around 10am and her "wet" meal at around 8pm in the evening. Being limited with what meat/poultry I can get, I am satisfied that first Pereg and now Tikva have what is needed.

Strange thing. Ram, Pereg's primary vet and the owner of the surgery, was never happy about me raw feeding [bones will get stuck in her GI tract or block it] but accepted that suited Pereg. However, Michal, Tikva's primary vet [who always comes here so I do not have to take Tikki to the surgery, is quite happy with what I feed Tikva - even though she herself is a vegan!

It is a case of you pays your money and you takes your choice. Raw feeding is easy if you know what you are doing and understand what the dog's needs are. And which supplements to give to make sure that the dog has everything it needs.

Kibble and wet [tinned] food usually has added supplements. With raw feeding you have to learn what is necessary and add whatever might be necessary, always remembering that dry kibble and wet tinned food is supplemented. But rarely enough of necessary vitamins/supplements. Plus who knows what fillers? I do not.

Joanne/Tarimoor's explanations are, in my opinion, the best advice about raw feeding I have ever come across. And I will always be grateful to her.
  6. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    WOW! Thanks @Malka! That is a really good article you shared. Thanks again!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica, do not thank me, thank Joanne @Tarimoor who posted it on Dogsey. Even though I cannot get the same meat/bones she can, basically I follow her details just adjusting to what I can get. It is more work than just putting kibble or tinned food into the dog's bowl, but it kept Pereg healthy in spite of her condition, and little Tikva, who at 15 months old and having been hand-reared since she was 3 weeks old, is now, although skinny as a rake, is rock solid muscle and bones and weighs ~6kg.

You do not have to follow Joanne's article to the word - just adjust it to suit your dog. I am not a raw-feeder preacher - I just know what suited Pereg and now little Tikva. I have also learned which vitamin/mineral supplements to add, to make sure the diet is as perfect as it could be.