Seeking advice/experience Rainbow Bridge

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Lisa Clarke, May 15, 2020.

1. Lisa Clarke

Lisa Clarke New Member

Name:
    Lisa Clarke

Seeking advice/experience

Hi folks I'm new to the group. We have a shar Pei a bull dog, and unfortunately our king charles left for the rainbow bridge 3 days ago. I suppose that's why I'm writing to ask for peoples experience of the sharpei breed. Our sharpei and king charles slept together in the utility room for 5 plus yrs. And 3 mornings ago we woke to our king charles sleeping forever. Our sharpei is just out of season. Our king Charles was neutered since a pup. Our bulldog is entire atm. Bull dog sleeps separately due to being entire. I apologise for the long post. Trying to include all the facts. Let's just say there was evidence of our shar Pei being aggressive towards our king charles. Ur sharpei never showed aggression to a level that we would have been worried. Hence not separating the other 2 dogs to sleep. I'm asking for any experience or ideas of what or why this unfortunate ordeal may have happened?
    Ps we didnt have our sharpei from a pup. We got her at 1.5 yrs.
    Thanks in advance

Lisa Clarke
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Was it just on that last night that there was evidence of aggression?

Was your King Charles ill at all?
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I must admit that my first thought was that if this was an isolated event, it might have been provoked by a health incident - such as a seizure. We can only guess though.
  5. Lisa Clarke

Lisa Clarke New Member

Name:
    Lisa Clarke
    Yes there was no warning signs as such.
  6. Lisa Clarke

Lisa Clarke New Member

Name:
    Lisa Clarke
    And no signs of illness from our king Charles no.
  7. Lisa Clarke

Lisa Clarke New Member

Name:
    Lisa Clarke
    No signs of illness either.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Lisa, how old was your King Charles?
  9. Lisa Clarke

Lisa Clarke New Member

Name:
    Lisa Clarke
    Hi he was 11 yrs old
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am just trying to put things in order. You say that it was just on the last night that there was any evidence of aggression on the part of your Sharpei, with no warning signs as such, and your King Charles had not had any signs of illness. He just went to sleep and went to the Bridge during the night.

My little Lexi was around 11 years old - I do not remember offhand - and she and Pereg [the girl in my avatar] used to sleep on my bed, one each side of me. After each one had had their cuddle and little night mantra they would move down, one sleeping one side of my feet, the other sleeping the other side of my feet.

I never saw any aggression from either of them although Pereg was bigger and still a bit of a rambunctious 11 month old puppy, which might have annoyed Lexi at times, and then one night Lexi stayed cuddled up to me and did not want to move down towards the end of the bed, something she had never done since I got Pereg. And she never woke up.

Maybe Pereg had sensed something was wrong with Lexi and acted differently towards her that night, and that is why Lexi wanted to stay cuddled up to me? It is possible.

And it is possible that a similar thing happened between your Sharpei and your King Charles.
  11. Lisa Clarke

Lisa Clarke New Member

Name:
    Lisa Clarke
    Hi Malka

Yes it is possible that it was princes age (our king Charles) we just know how we found them both. We found Prince asleep with bite Mark's on him and Dee Dee our sharpei with blood around her mouth. But we have said it's a possibility that Dee Dee could have been trying to weaken Prince. We are just not sure. We are also thankful that it was my husband who found him that morning and not any of our 2 kids. Going to get keep sakes for the kids. I'm sorry to hear about your Lexi and yes it does sound like Pereg did sense something.

Thanks for your replies.

Lisa