Sharpei puppy help Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Frankthetank, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Frankthetank

Frankthetank New Member

Name:
    Robb

Sharpei puppy help

Hey guys, I have some questions I could use some advice on. So I have a lovely handsome man named frank, he's purebred and around 6 months now, and is in perfect health I may add, as well as super amazing, but lately has shown the very clear signs of puberty. He has humped every couch cushion we have, and even chewed the corners of the pillows off during, to the point where it's either eating or on a walk, or he's humping. I dont want to nueter him because honestly he's such a handsome dude, it would almost be a shame to stop those genes from carrying on. He's tried to pull it on a few older and wiser, and larger males at the dog park, so I cautiously allowed it while I stood beside them, and let the other male (unthreateningly) tell frank to knock it off. It seemed to work I guess, they kinda just went back to playing, but then back at home he went hard on the couch cushions again. I am very alpha, he knows it, just wondering if any other sharpei owners have any personal advice on that subject. I'm super patient with him, he is a fairly good listener for his age, he sits, speaks, shakes both paws, and stays when told. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Hi Robb and Frank, welcome to Breedia.
    I hope you might get some breed specific help soon, but you are right not to neuter him at this early stage in his life. He needs those hormones to enhance the development of his muscle and frame. He is just being a youngster exploring the effects of his hormones are giving him, and distraction rather than dominance is the best way to deal with this type of behaviour. He does look a lovely little chap.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Teach him a solid 'leave' and keep a close eye. As soon as you see him even think about humping, tell him to leave and then play a game with him.

One thing you don't want is to let it become habit driven so be extra vigilant, interrupt and reward for the alternative behaviour that you do find acceptable
  5. Frankthetank

Frankthetank New Member

Name:
    Robb
    Hey guys thanks for the replies. Ya I've been on him, doing just that. Noticing the signs and intervening as soon as I see them. The problem is he's so social, he loves every other dog, and anyone that even looks at him he's gotta say hi. It's been slowly getting worse, every walk we go on he smells other dogs pee, and then whines and wants to go in that direction, I'm assuming he smells a female, and goes into tunnel vision where nothing else matters. I snap, whistle, call him, nothing. I have to give him a little poke in his leg to get him to acknowledge I'm even present. He definitely needs more training, for his age I'm pretty content with what he had learned, but I can tell this is gonna become a much bigger problem if he doesn't get it under control. The last thing anyone needs is two males fighting because a puppy tried to hump his leg you know.
  6. Frankthetank

Frankthetank New Member

Name:
    Robb
    Another question...and advice on making him stop pulling? I know he's a puppy and wants to smell and see everything, but he pulls way too much. I've shortened his leash during walks so he's got maybe 2 feet, and I keep him about level with me as we walk, taught leash, but he still tries too pull every direction. It's alot harder since we live right downtown in a heavy pedestrian and vehicle traffic area, so I'd appreciate some tips. Cheers guys n gals