Should pet shops ban breeders from advertising their puppies General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Jun 9, 2015.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Should pet shops ban breeders from advertising their puppies

A4 size notice on pets at home notice board advertising 10 Hybrid puppies ready to go 5 weeks old fully weaned mum can be seen photo of dad is available 6 bitches £950 4 dogs £900 tele ... mobile.... no time wasters view by appointment only.

Is Hybrid now new name for designer dogs ?
    Would you buy a puppy without seeing both mum & dad ?
    Would you buy a puppy who's parents have not been health checked ?
    Would you buy a puppy knowing they have never been wormed ?

Will banning breeders from advertising in pet shops see more puppies being dumped by the breeders.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Can't see the point in banning adverts from pet shops, when there are plenty of other places you can advertise your pup, local papers , Internet and so on..

Unfortunately to many people believe in the mythical hybrid vigor

Would I buy a pup without seeing both parents ....yes !

Would I buy a pup from parents who have not been health tested...no

Not sure I could prove they had not been wormed
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I'm with Jackie it's rare to see dad other than a photo or website unless you attend shows. Worming you take the breeders word and if they are ethical and you did your research why would you doubt it. No I would not buy a pup from non health tested stock but I'd give one a home. As for advertising it's like everything else it's just a medium.
  5. BlueJay

BlueJay Member

Name:
    Erin
    Floppyears likes this.
    I work in P@H and my store doesn't allow breeders to advertise litters for sale on our noticeboard :)
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Our pets @ home is full of them
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Our PAH is full if them
  8. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Floppyears likes this.
    Is Hybrid now new name for designer dogs ?
    guess it sounds better than crossbreed

Would you buy a puppy without seeing both mum & dad ?
    Yes, most breeders won’t have the sire, paperwork should be available photos and health test information/pedigree.

Would you buy a puppy who's parents have not been health checked?
    No
    Would you buy a puppy knowing they have never been wormed?
    Yes, though all my puppies were wormed by breeders.
    Will banning breeders from advertising in pet shops see more puppies being dumped by the breeders?
    No it wouldn’t, plenty of places online, shops, free papers for them to advertise.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Floppyears likes this.
    The word hybrid makes me think of Wolf crosses!
    I think the way an advert is worded often gives clues to the experience of the breeder.
    If the litter is locally advertised, there may be more chance of checking on the reputation of the breeder. So many people have been conned by online puppy advertising.
    Like Vee, I would only buy from a breeder who carries out the recommended tests for that breed, but would, and have, taken in dogs with no health record from rescue kennels.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It was my first thought when I saw 'hybrid' too. This is usually a term used for so called wolf crosses, but many are not 'what it says on the tin'
  11. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    We have 4 pets at home stores & all notice boards are full of breeders selling their puppies.

Would you buy a puppy without seeing both mum & dad ? = NO I won't buy any puppy without seeing both mum & dad, I have always seen both mum & dad when ever I have bought a puppy from a KC registered breeder

Would you buy a puppy who's parents have not been health checked ? = NO way will I buy a puppy who parents have not been health checked.

Would you buy a puppy knowing they have never been wormed ? = NO way all my puppies I have bought from breeders have come with vet details stating when & what wormer has been used including first day/date pups were seen by vet (normally within first 24 hours)

Our local free paper have stopped all pet for sale adverts, they did an 4 page spread about 12 weeks ago outlining that they are working with the local council to reduce the amount of BYB's & unregistered breeders, (something about working with the government guidelines) since the paper has stopped breeders adverting I have notice more & more adverts appearing on pets at home notice boards.
  12. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Other than a pet bred litter dad is very rarely present, breeders very rarely use their own dog and will travel the length of the country for the right mate for their bitch. So not seeing dad is no big deal, you can of course approach the owner of the male and ask to meet him.
  13. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC likes this.
    The only places where I've seen adverts for puppies for sale over here has been on the notice boards of either the vet or the Spar in my nearest town. About three months ago in my Spar someone was advertising Bobtail (OES) puppies for sale complete with photos. They looked so adorable and I had to admit I was sorely tempted, especially as the same person had advertised the previous year.

Hungary is slightly different to the UK in that there are a lot of what I would call "hobby breeders", who will only have one planned litter per year and they don't do it for any profit motive as the puppies are always reasonably priced. I bought M'boi my first Shar-Pei and Chloe, my Tibetan Spaniel from such a breeder. In both cases I saw their mother and the conditions they were living in which were more than satisfactory. They'd been wormed and vaccinated, although I'm not sure whether they'd been health tested (my Hungarian wasn't good at that time)!

When I was in the UK three years ago I was quite shocked at the number of "designer puppies" being advertised in the local newspaper, and even more by the exorbitant prices being asked for them. Why should I pay £500 for a Shar-Pei cross something or other when in Hungary I can buy a FCI registered Shar-Pei puppy from a reputable breeder for only a £100 more?
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Personally id rather buy from a breeder who has put the time and effort into looking for the best stud for there bitch based on how pedigrees fit together ect: not the nearest or the cheapest one.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Yes, I think Hobby Breeder is a more flattering term for those that show, and only take an occasional litter to keep a line going. Sires are only rarely able to be seen on site in these cases, as a lot of thought goes into selecting the right dog for that bitch, and often means a 200 mile journey. In 25 years of breeding, I can only remember using my own males 3 times on my own bitches.
  16. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I don't think anyone but a breeder should sell animals personally. I'd like to see all adverts banned except via registration bodies, or via a breeder's own website. And as far as pups go, they should be jointly registered with the breeder and owner jointly responsible for the life of that pup/dog.

The term hybrid is probably just the breeder trying to posh up a litter of pups they couldn't think up a posh name for.
  17. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I agree, if you are breeding for a betterment of the breed you use a dog that will contribute to your bitch , its unlikely that this is aways going to be the dog down the road or your own stud.

Breeders can travel miles and with the pet passport even into Europe, along with AI , so its unrealistic to be able to see every dog and bitch of your pup.

Turning a well bred healthy pup down because you cant see the Dog is madness, it would the the last thing on my list of musts to be honest.
  18. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Figo` sire is a champion, with excellent health screening, I saw him in the ring a few years ago, but have never met him in person. if I followed the thinking I had to see BOTH parents before I bought my dog, I would not have my boy now.

Both his parents have excellent health results, his Dam is a darling and from what I am told Figo is a lot like his Dad Alfie (in character), the distance between both breeders is a few hundred miles, so it was not a convenient mating, it was well thought through for health as well as looks,

As far as I know not one of Figo`s siblings owners ever insisted seeing the sire,
  19. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Georgina comes from a show line. Both her mother and Grandparents were Hungarian champions. Two of her siblings were sent to the UK so I doubt whether their owners visited the kennels. Her father was born and bred in Serbia, but now lives in Hungary.

Because no health test has yet been developed for FSF the most serious genetic disease in Shar-Pei it's absolutely essential for any potential owner to check the pedigree back at least 5 generations. If I hadn't been able to I wouldn't have bought Georgina. Interestingly my vet was telling me that in Hungary that when a Shar-Pei has been diagnosed with FSF, all vets in the country are notified as well as the relevant Government authority who have the power to order all affected dogs be removed from the breeding programme.

Gwylim my Mini Schnauzer is also from a long line of show dogs. His breeder only sells on recommendation from owners he's sold to. I know he still keeps in touch with the owners of two of Gwylim's siblings, one who lives in Birmingham and the other in Canada, and because we live locally he often sees Gwylim.
  20. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Meeting both parents sometimes is basically impossible. Mastiff I got back around 1990 Father was from Washington state and Mom was from Virginia, around 2500 miles apart. Both where tested and Champions. Father was a Show and Pulling champion.

And No it was not advertised at pet shops. Most ethical breeders are not advertising there.
  21. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    See I really disagree strongly with this because doing it your way Joe Public remains in the dark about good breeders, their ethics and breeding practices. So only those in the know can access a quality pup and Joe Public gets to deal with the woman down the road who's two dogs accidently mated. I think Breeders should do far more to advertise what constitutes a healthy well bred pup, be loud and proud and spread the word.