Sighthounds - how do you walk yours. Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by chaz, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie

Sighthounds - how do you walk yours.

With my dogs I prob have them on lead more then I need to, but I know that they are fast, powerful dogs who are larger then a fair few dogs round here, and can run playing bitey face, all of which can scare another dog, which could cause it to run which mine interpet as play so chase, not aggressively, but it can cause fear aggression in the other dog, which can cause problems, so unless I have a field (at least) to my self, know the other dogs around or have asked the other owners my dogs are on lead, but they do get off more then often enough ;) and sometimes they get off in the park if no-one else is around, but because of problems that have been happening their thats not really happened for a while, now I have no problems with this, it works most of the time, the only problem is that my dogs (Honey particulary) doesn't like other dogs running excited around her when she is on the lead, this was getting better but since Diesel got attacked its got worse (is it normal for the companion of the attacked dog to be the one left scared?) but now I don't see that as my fault as my dogs generally on a three foot lead, if someone else lets their dog get too close and Honey gets scared and acts out I see it as more their fault then mine, but with yiur hound dogs how do you walk yours? Are your walks simalar or totally different?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. cravencraven

cravencraven New Member

Name:
    fiona
    I was the same as you with my Lurcher who I lost last year aged 13,his idea of playing with other dogs was the chase and the catch,although he never hurt another dog I could see the fear in the other owners eyes.:-(
    So I avoided other dogs for years,unless he was on the lead.Luckily I had lots of places to take him where we didn't meet many dogs.And he didn't seem bothered about not meeting dogs.
    He was always off the lead when we were out,but I would put him back on if I saw another dog.

Then we he got to about 7 or 8,when he was slowing down,he didn't want to chase other dogs,so I started walking in places where there were dogs and he was fine,he interacted,played and had a great time.

He was never on lead again,apart from road walking for the last 6 years of his life.:grin: I could take him anywhere,with no problems.
    He never had a prey drive and was fine around small furrie all his life.:)
  4. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I'm sorry you lost your boy :( I must say I do like seeing the older sight hounds, the ones that walk placidy with their owners around anywhere, right now I couldn't do it with mine, but they are only five, they've still got growing up to do and plenty of time to get there, as I'm in no hurry for them to grow up anymore, but I suppose like your baby they will enjoy other dogs in their twilight years more then they do now, tbh I really don't think they care right now unless the other dog is another fastie, then its great! But I have had others ask when Im gonna let them off when theres other dogs around like Im paranoid and too restrictive, but I think I would rather be paranoid then allow another dog to be scared by them playing either as I don't think its fair on them.
  5. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Mine are all nuts when they're off lead!:roll: I tend to only allow 2 or 3 off at any one time and only if there are no other dogs on the beach. Jenny and Guinness are muzzled when off-lead as they tend to nip the others when running and chasing. Danny does sometimes go off-lead muzzled but tends to just mooch around.
    I have let them all off at once when with my hubby but usually it ends in a Keystone Cops moment and someone gets nibbled!!:roll:
    I'm like a sighthound myself scanning the horizon for other dogs and I put them all on-lead if I see one as I don't want someone else's dog to get hurt....not so much froma bite but from their pure speed.
  6. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    She's still new (and new out of racing kennels even though she'd been retired from actual racing for a couple of years) so on lead and on muzzle at the moment. She apparently has no chase instinct whatsoever (so quite how she ever won any races is beyond me - she'll walk past bunnies frolicking quite happily and is oblivious to squirrels and just tries to lick the cat) so the muzzle's just there for the small dog factor till I'm 100% on that - and serves as a nice "go away" to the idiot contingent.

Don't think she'll ever really be off lead - we're starting to realise she's got a VERY stubborn streak in her - compared to Layton who is eager to please (albeit if there's a stick with two ends he will get the wrong end of it), she's very much got the cat-ttitude of "I'm cute, I'm sleek, I'm adorable, I'm going to do what I want" that we're about to start working on now she's relaxing a bit.
  7. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I can understand why you walk like that Chaz :)

I vary how I walk. I obviously walk Axel on-lead when on pavements, etc, but now 80% of the time when in a field or park or canal, he's off-lead. I do put him on if tiny dogs are off-lead and running around as he has run over before (fully bolted) to play, thankfully the owner and dog wasn't phased and enjoyed his attention, but now I'm more careful just incase the rest are nervous. If a bigger dog (spaniel size or bigger) is off-lead, I leave Axel off. One of his best friends to run around with is a Yorkie he sees fairly often!
    I have him muzzled most of the time on-lead (except perhaps around the block walks) but ALWAYS muzzle off-lead, just in case. Since the initial learning about small dogs and over-excitement, he's been golden around all sizes, but I prefer to be safe than sorry.
  8. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Thanks all its intresting to see how others walk, and know Im not on my own with how I walk, and Axel sounds even more like a babe bless him, I wish mine were that easy, I think off lead with mine are the only real times they can cause head aches (or recently back and leg ache :roll: first time they've ever run into my and boy did it hurt!) but for now I think that me and the will carry on how we are as it works, I think people would worry more if their dogs got hurt or scared by two excitable dogs.
  9. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    I think the big difference is, you have 2. If Axel had a friend then I think he'd be more energetic and excitable, perhaps then I'd end up doing the same as you, or only letting 1 off at a time. I'm lucky with Axel that he is so mellow, but he does enjoy the game of chase and such with other dogs, I think he has scared a Spaniel once, but when he realised the dog wasn't into it, he stopped.
    I'd still love to get Axel together with yours Chaz one day, it'd be great! When I drive, it's on! (if you're still up for it that is!)
  10. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Course Im still up for meeting :mrgreen: theres gotta be somewhere we can, just be prepared that mine are anything but mellow :shock: :lol: my old Deerhound and Whippet were a breeze compared to these, up to seven dogs would go out and although Trampus decided he'd rather be a lone wolf and not come back they were fine with all dogs, and could be off most the time, the only problem he had was if you talked to him he would jump up, and with a DH thats not good! Chance just loved being with the everyone and just enjoyed running and playing with everyone, but whippets are smaller and not really as scary to other dogs. Must admit though sometimes I do wonder whether part of our problem is when they were growing up Honey and Diesel only got to play with the dogs I walked and a few others, and sometimes we could go weeks without seeing other dogs, but then Greys only see other Greys really in racing kennels and they seem fine, but when their exercised they would of been able to learn doggy behaviour I don't know, but I do know I wouldn't change my hound dogs, even if I have threatened to trade them in for one of the Staffies you see happily plodding along with their owner with no care in the world and only eyes for the person their with ;).
  11. Rockape

Rockape New Member

Name:
    Matthew
    I must admit, I have enjoyed reading this thread, its interesting to see the problems other sighthound owners have when walking their dogs.
    I have a very similar problem to yours, I own a wonderful six year old ex racer by the name of Jack, who has a very strong prey drive.
    When I first started walking him I was a amazed at his ability to hate every other animal, he disliked dogs of every single colour and type, if we passed another dog, however close, he would bark, twirl around, jump up and bite his lead and generally behave very badly, I won't even mention his reaction to cats and squirrels.
    He was muzzled every time I walked him and because of his behaviour walks became a real chore.
    I decided to walk him away from other dogs and socialize him very gradually and every time I introduced him to a dog it would be on my terms and in a calm and relaxing manner.
    He now wanders about quite happily and is'nt worried by other dogs and the barking and twirling is hopefully a thing of the past, he still has his some peculiarities though, if a dog barks at him he will always bark back even if it is a small dog just yapping.
    I always walk him on a lead but I don't muzzle him for his daily walks and I still try to introduce him to dogs in a proper manner.
    I do let him have a run around, but I take him to places I know are safe to do so.
    He has played with other dogs off lead, but I tend to find his idea of playing is'nt quite the same as other dogs.
    Infact the last time I let him play with a spaniel he just used it as replacement for a rabbit and chased it down, he didnt bite it, but both the dog and the owner were'nt too keen on another game.
    As for Cats, Rabbits and Squirrels NO amount of training has dampened his enthusiasm for chasing those. As his one and only ever visit to pets at home remains firmly etched in my memory.
  12. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    As long as they're pointy, he won't mind. He likes all pointies regardless of energy. He'll probably do a couple of races with them then lie down and watch. I'm hoping to be driving fairly soon so perhaps a meet up is sooner than we think!
    Your other dogs do sound lovely, bless them. You're right that Whippets can't be as intimidating as your current 2 or the Deerhound!!!

Well done on the work you've done with him so far, he sounds lovely! Is he the one in your avatar??
  13. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I was warning you more then Axel ;) and make sure you don't have any treats in your pocket, she's good at sniffing them out :lol: but I think that I should sort out all my problems by just adopting a pack of hound dogs and renting out my own field, Im sure all will be happy then :mrgreen:
  14. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Ha ha, I can just imagine you doing that, 50 or so should do it! ;)
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Well I got up close and personal with two hounds I loved, and saw two othee gorgeous ones, there was even a Staffy cross who was meant to have Lurcherbin there somewhere (not sure where though) but I don't think I've met a hound I didn't like, the only thing is, even if I had a field I would need a big house to put enough comfy areas in, I mean how would a hound cope if there wasn't enough areas to sleep and roach in ;)
  16. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    We have a wonderful Grey X Saluki around here (very little visible Saluki in him though) who dispenses with any sniffing malarky and just nose jabs you repeatedly in the pocket you've got the treats in until you hand them over! Gorgeous dog and the look on his face of indignation that you're not dispensing the goodies is a picture!
  17. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    Mine are always on a lead.
  18. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Dizzy thats coz Saluki crosses rule! I walk through waitrose carpark for the park walk and the amount of times I've stopped Honey just in time from shoving her head in someones bag for a good old sniff lol, and if someone has treats and don't share with her she will just stand in front of them until they give out the food! And Moetmum I've seen a few Basenjis, but have to say I've never seen them off lead, but from their history I can imagine them being a nightmare off lead :).
  19. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Rockape it sounds like you have done great with your boy :mrgreen: its great to see a difference in dogs isn't it, even though mine aren't technically rescues Diesel does have a sorry tail to tell, but to sit back and notice your dog and their progress because of you, its a great thing to notice.
  20. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    I don't let mine off lead in the local park or anywhere near roads/residential areas. I go to the woods and let them off lead, the beach or anywhere more isolated. Mine are both fine with other dogs even small ones but i never take the chance, as soon as i see small dogs they go back on lead. Both mine have quite good recall.
  21. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Ooohhhh - can I come? Can I come? PLEEEEEEASE??!

Tashi would love to run with other hounds. My Shepherds just can't keep up with her in any aspect of running, chasing or general playing off lead. I n the house (nioghtmare) or int eh garden is fine but where there is a big space to let loose in, the GSDs don't stand a chance.

Tashi is a pure play monster. Everything is worth playing for. playtinme is ALL the time, regardless of what time of day ornight it is or what she's supposed to be doing - walking, eating, sleeping etc.

Really funny to watch though.