Sighthounds - how do you walk yours. Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by chaz, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Well in our little round and about this week they are talking about a walk around christmas common, I can scan that and see what you both think as it has more detail in it, I remember being there when I was little sitting on a hill but it was a gentle sloping one which hopefully wont cause problems for anyone, but I can find out more about that one, as I think that theres a bus that runs near there that should be easy for me if after reading the article you both think its ok?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Oh, actually I just read it, its two and a half miles, bout a hour and a half walking time, it says in the terrian its a slighty steep descent, and a gentle ascent, with several stiles, which how are your dogs at being lifted if they can't get under? Both Honey and Diesel have gone over stiles before by going over like people do in their own way, but I don't know about yours, another thing that concerns me though is that it mentions that its grazed by rabbits, and deer are commonly sighted. I don't wanna be coming home with dinner ;) or deers, but it is 112 acres but I'm not sure its worth risking seeing deer with four sighthounds :shock:, but I'll see if I have any old round and abouts for any different walks too aswell.
  4. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    That is a little worrying. Axel hasn't seen those yet and I'd be nervous to let him off if there's likely to be animals around. He's definitely keen on rabbits! I'll trust your judgment :)
  5. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Will chat Monday I don't have a computer right now and have to sort out a few things concerning housing :)
  6. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    It has to depend on the dog.

My 1st Lurcher was always off lead away from rds & never chasted other dogs, he was a very gentle soul.

My 2 whippets are a very different story they will chase any thing that runs are ruff & do not give up.

The older one is ball mad so I use this to control him. I still have a way to go with younger one so I do not give him the chance to chase.

They are on lead if there are dogs around I do not know & off in large fields. Another reason they on lead is where poo is left as they will eat the lot!!!:005:
  7. salukibel

salukibel New Member

Name:
    Amy
    My Saluki is walked on a lead, unless in a fenced area. She goes back on the lead if there are other dogs because she doesn't have the best social skills and her otherwise good recall goes out the window when there's another dog as a distraction!
    I do have a 11 metre long line which allows her to run a circle around me if off-lead running isn't possible. I also use it to practice her recall.
  8. polly7

polly7 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    my greyhounds are walked on harness with a double ended lead. If there is any 'problems' I can quickly clip the other end of the lead onto their martingale.
    my new girl was highly nervous when she first arrived so she wore a ruff master harness which is escape proof but now she is much better so wears a fleece lined harness.
    They have a 1/4 acre plus garden to race in if they want to so finding off lead places isn't an issue for them. They just like a walk to have a good sniff about.