Small breed temperaments Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by katilea, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    An exciting time to be thinking about a new puppy:grin: . I personally don't think a Parsons or Jack Russell would be a good choice as they need loads of exercise and mental stimulation.

I had a Lhasa Apso for 15 years and she was the sweetest little thing and incredibly friendly. Things against the breed is the amount of grooming required and they can be stubborn:lol:

A poodle X or a pedigree miniature poodle are great little dogs and poodles are renowned for being very intelligent. I have two friends with poodle Xs - one is a cross with a Maltese and the other with a Cavalier King Charles. They are very intelligent, love laps and are both more than happy with a small walk or a long one. They just fit in. Also Papillons are wonderful little dogs.

Good luck and keep us informed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

Coefficient of Inbreeding the lower the % the less inbreeding & TBH is To Be Honest.

Joedee, Loukar & Kaycee were my last 3 Cavaliers all bred by the same breeders(one of whom is a member of this site)& all had a high COI to a dog that was a known producer of SM-but they failed to mention this at any time.

I wouldn't touch a cross that is thought to be part Cavalier as I could be sure if the Cavalier involved had had any health tests.

Roodee's mum was bred by this breeder & she has been health testing her dogs for a long time as you will see on the link her Cavalier do agility !
  4. SarahJade

SarahJade New Member

Name:
    SJ
    I do really like these little dogs, and think they might be a good idea.
    This breeder seems to have had a lot of puppies recently and says that they are available to buy from what I got from a quick look at the site. Doesn't seem responsible to me, but that said I have never got a dog from a breeder and never really looked into any breeders. I know it's a bit off topic, but is this how responsible breeders usually operate?
  5. Berger

Berger New Member

Name:
    Nic
    My little crossbreed is cavalier x pug we think.

She is the easiest little dog to have. She can barks out the window at men or dogs but will sush when told.

She is the friendliest little thing and is lives with my big Leonberger no problem.

She is extremely clever and learns new commands very quickly.

She would run all day or sleep all day, preferably in my lap.

Fab little dog xx
  6. ailsas mum

ailsas mum New Member

Name:
    Ann
    You might be ''rescuing'' it from a puppy farm but what about what's left behind, what about it's mum and dad.
    This is a picture of Ellie the day after I got her and 2 weeks after she was liberated from the hell hole that used her body to churn out pups for profit. Ellie was 3 when I got her and she has had more than one litter in her short life, more like 3 or 4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please please don't buy a pup from a puppy farm in doing so you are helping to keep people who abuse these dogs in business.

I've also got a sheltie and they are fantastic wee dogs but they do take a lot of grooming.
  7. Heather and Zak

Heather and Zak New Member

Name:
    heather
    Most of these pups from puppy farmers are not healthy, these disgusting breeders are not interested in the mums or the pups health just the ££££. If you are having problems getting to see pups, think about how you are going to have to keep going to the vets as these pups generally have a lot of health problems. I do hope you can find your pup without lining the pockets of these scumbags. Good luck in your search.
  8. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Hi

Update. I did find a pedigree breeder who said she was willing to visit to my home.

She came with two beautiful apricot boys (miniature poodles) they were gorgeous but I didn't 'fall in love' with them like I did when I first saw Inca and knew she was the one I was taking home.

After she had made a big fuss about been paid in cash and I'd managed to get the money she went home without it and said she had to discuss it with her husband as they'd had other enquiries too. She was worried about her puppies getting under my wheels and me not been able to get them outside to toilet in time.

She did say if they did decide I could have a dog she would prefer to bring it back later when he was a bit bigger and toilet trained but I can't see her waiting a month or two to be paid if someone else is interested, and they can have the cash by the end of the week!

so back up plan.... Dogs Trust agreed to do an home assessment first and come and meet me to see what kind of dog would best fit my needs so that is on Tuesday. I will go ahead with that as I'm not expecting the breeder to get back to me before Tuesday... and if she does.. at this stage I'm not sure if its the right pup for us. .. should I take it and hope I 'fall in love with him' or wait to see if Dogs Trust find a dog that I instantly know is gonna fit into our little family?
  9. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Wow that's potentially good of her - keeping the pup till a bit bigger could be great - If she puts the work in properly - on the other hand if you don't think it's the pup for you... I guess you're auditioning pup and Breeder.

Dogs trust Visit also sounds a potential winner. I'm guessing they'd have staff there who'd be good at spotting dogs that could excel like your girl.

Exciting?
  10. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Will your mobility be a problem with a puppy? puppies obviously need to go out frequently and are often bouncy and underfoot.

Perhaps you would be more suited to an older more sedate dog in which case I think looking at rescues is ideal
  11. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    I think 8 weeks is too young. I think it's going to be best been at least 6 months if its toilet trained, but I think preferably over 1.

I class puppies as under 2yrs as used to bigger breeds that tend to mature slowly! I did read smaller breeds sometimes mature quicker, so would a smaller breed be considered fully matured by 1 or 18 months?

Dogs Trust has emailed to ask if they can come half hour earlier on same day which I don't mind so they now coming 10.30am on 17th October, so thats Wed not Tuesday as I thought!, best set that alarm on my phone so I'm ready for the right day.. lol!
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    ????????? Ann has lots of puppies ? I don't think so she breeds maybe 1 litter per year if that & only when she wants a puppy for herself & she usually have people waiting for her puppies well in excess of the puppies in any litter she might have. Which is why our Roodee was bred by a friend of hers, she had way too many homes for the next litter she was planning 18 months after we got Roodee !! All her dogs her fully health tested way more than any of the breed clubs require

She only has one page on the website & the litters on the rest of the site are nothing to do with her
  13. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

Suffolk is a bit of a long way.. does anyone on here know a reputable cavvie breeder in the Yorkshire area? When I bgam my search and started with Cavvie cos I got an address for someone in my village, so went down to the house to see if I could get to the door or maybe get someone's attention to talk to. When got there the house looked unlived in, over grown grass, battered car in the drive.. sheets hanging up in the windows instead of curtains. I double checked I'd got the right address and it was correct. Not the kind of place I would have imagined pedigree dog to come from! ... after this I found out about the SM and heart murmurs been acceptable in the breed!

It is a shame as they seem a lovely gentle breed and every Cavvie I have known as had a really sweet and gently disposition. Are there any other small breeds with similar disposition to a Cavvie but not as many health issues?