So If you Could - Create your Own Dog Breed Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by WaterElephant, Dec 25, 2011.

1. WaterElephant

WaterElephant New Member

Name:
    Maria

So If you Could - Create your Own Dog Breed

As the title says So If you Could - Create your Own Dog Breed

And I don't mean in the game, I mean in real life.

I am curious as before Christmas dinner I had an interesting conversation with one of my roommate's relatives about the American Alsatian - the so called modern day 'dire wolf'.

Now to this man the american alsatian is great, to me it's a chaotic mixture [I have no problem against mutts, having owned such in real life] involving GSD, Malamute, Mastiff, Akita and other breeds... I once asked the creator of this breed for a breed-breakdown [by generation] and sat three days straight trying to make sense of why she bred whom with what. Could never figure out the reason for some of those crosses either.

Anyways, the point of this post is this... it got me thinking.

And I'm curious.

If you in later life ever came across the chance / the ability of creating your own dog breed... a breed that will be your creation, be stamped by your name for its existence... what would you create?

A lapdog? A companion? A guard dog? A herd dog?

An all rounder - something that does a bit of everything?

And as such what would you cross together to achieve those goals?

Mine would be a Water Spaniel [maybe even a possible recreation of the English Water Spaniel]
    Poodle x Collie/English Shepherd x Spaniel

Poodle for the coat

English Shepherd rather than Collie - English Shepherds healthier

Spaniel - for the gun dog traits.

Anyone else want to make themselves a breed for real life... I'm just curious as to what people would look for if they ever had a chance to make their own dog breed.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    How could you guarantee the poodle coat?

I think there are more than enough breeds already or modes for those who like randomness.

But I would like a lime green GSD!
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    A Norwegian buhund with a good temperament! Or a mini German shepherd..love them just need a smaller dog to suit my circumstances currently :)
  5. WaterElephant

WaterElephant New Member

Name:
    Maria
    The same as any poodle coat is guaranteed in a goldendoodle or like breed... back crossing into a parent breed for a desired trait. Very simple genetics.

As for the lime green GSD there's "dyes" for such so...

I'm generally curious so would prefer a serious posting as it were.
  6. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Well tbh the dog I would like has already been created.

I love the looks of Collies and I am a little put off by some of the obsessions some can develop (I know this is down to training etc) but I love the drive of gundogs - always admired them, but after getting my first gundog (albeit cross) last year I am hooked..

So what dog looks like a collie but is a gundog (IMO) - A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. I'd just prefer it if they came in Liver or Black instead of Red :lol: Maybe add a few merles into that coat :lol:
  7. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I don't think they are though - the coats differ so vastly even in the muti doodle mixes rather than straight Breed to Poodle . ..... some wiry, some wavy, some curly, some just fuzz, some shed, some don't - it isn't a fixed trait at all - even the doodle breeders are having to admit it these days ...
  8. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    A healthy Cavalier King Charles. Not exactly a new breed, but certainly a challenge to bring this fantastic breed back to a healthy status
  9. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Well I've never met a poodle x with a poodle coat and I groom them for a living. Poodle x's have a wide variety of coat types, most of which are a nightmare.

Anyway, back to the thread....my dogs are perfect for my requirements so I wouldn't need to change them, otherwise I would have purchased different breeds. The American Alsatian - I take it that's the same as an Alsatian Shepalute? The only reason to create such a breed is for money and to satisfy the bizarre whimsy of the breeder. I prefer pure bred dogs that I know will have a certain coat, be a certain size, have certain temperament traits etc. I have been called a snob but I see it as logical that I would choose something which was likely to turn out a certain way.
  10. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
    what a great thread WE!

I love the look of the thai Bangkaew dog but because they were originally half jackal they are known to have very poor temperaments. Actually breeders are now finally breeding for temperament. Many Europeans are crossing them with GSDs because they want a GSD but they do not have the immunity for here. The resulting dog is as big as a GSD but with the mane of a BK. The one i know is golden colour and is a striking looking dog. Extremely aloof, strangers come and go from their and he just sits and watches.

I would also like a leggy staffordshire BT that was not jowley but was fairly sure to be non DA. I love the look, confidence and friendliness but don't want DA.
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Personally I think there's now enough dog breeds on the market for most people to choose what will be the most compatible dog for their requirements.

Think the Poodle crosses in your country must be different to the ones in the UK as we hardly ever see them with a Poodle coat. People who bought them because they were marketed as non-shedding have been disappointed.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Shame all those doodle breeders have not caught on to that???
  13. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    Multi generational 'Australian' Labradoodles have a more poodle coat and are breeding more to 'type' as I believe these are from the 'original' Labradoodles and have been around a fair while.

I'm sure there are lots of people who like pure breeds, but you can still play the game ;-)

I would love to have a dog that looked like the Dalmatian, had the loving nature and clown-ness of the breed as it is now, but be slightly easier to train (well they are easy, but it's getting them to want to do it when you need them to!), shed slightly less and maybe have a long coat option (they do occasionally throw a long coat but if it was an option it would be nice).
    The breed has been bred with Pointers to try to make them healthier, but you do tend to loose the quality of the spots.
    Breeding with working type setters might work, but you may probably end up with a more 'hunty' type dog?
  14. BangKaew

BangKaew New Member

Name:
    Bangkaew
    just out of interest, is wrong to breed doodles if that is what people want? After all, most dogs are bred purely because people want them.
  15. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    I have been thinking on this for quite a while....and actually, I really can't think of a breed I would like to create....
    No imagination me!!

I was thinking this too!
  16. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, no life is not a game and for me there are enough breeds around to choose from already 'in real life' without trying to create more.

I would say we see too many people 'creating their own breeds' by crossing dogs and breeding dogs in general without any thought for overpopulation and full to bursting rescue centers.
  17. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Totally agree on both counts, if you cannot find the perfect breed for you amongst the HUNDREDS out there, then maybe the only one left the breed that comes on 4 wheels with a big handle, or you need another species as a pet.

Most people focus on the "shortcomings" of a breed rather than those of themselves.

Sorry if this sounds pompous, but that is how I feel.
  18. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Totally agree with this - I have Estrelas and some people would say that their tendency to bark and have poor recall is a disadvantage, but to me it's a part of what makes them the breed they are. I don't like all my partner's habits but I wouldn't want to live with a robot either!
  19. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    A fluffy small programmable one that costs megabucks and comes in a choice of designer shades and runs on batteries so all those plonkers who conveniently forget a dog is a sentient creature who feels pain, loss and fear can have something to parade to gawping friends and then dispose of.

and breathe.......
  20. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Great idea Claire :) that way you could get a new breed where each batch produced 'bred true to type' 8) .

No years of careful breeding programmes which produces dozens of puppies which are not 'of type', should not be bred from so will need to be found homes. Years ago any surplus puppies would have been culled , there were no rescues to flood with unwanted puppies in those days.

Your puppies would also have the added benefit of not needing food/not peeing pooing/chewing the furniture/no vets bills/ and when you have had enough of them you could shut them in the cupboard and buy the latest version .
  21. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    My perfect dog "breed"?

My beloved girl.

She may not be "perfect" and she may not be a "breed", but for me she is the World and I would never want her to be any different.

[OK, maybe without the lurking "monster" but I guess most people will realise that]