So If you Could - Create your Own Dog Breed Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by WaterElephant, Dec 25, 2011.

1. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    I don't think you need to trim Shelties! And many short-haired dogs moult MORE than the longhaired ones do... you'd be surprised. I certainly was, with my first coated dog. My short-coated Malinois needs more grooming than my long coated Tervueren cross.... daily or every other day - her coat just seems to fall out everywhere all year round - whereas Merlin needs grooming only once a week even when he's moulting.

Anyhow....
    Smallish size
    Prick ears
    Blue merle
    = there are some fairly small smooth coated Border Collies out there. OK, so not medium energy but you don't always get everything in one dog.

As to Quiet - not yappy - the smaller the dog, the higher pitched the bark. And even BCs can sound quite yappy if they do that high-pitched squealing with excitement thing.

Shelties can be noisy and to some people, sound yappy! In fact any small dog that barks a lot could be called 'yappy'. [The exceptions are of course dogs like Bassets and Corgis which are big dogs on short legs].

Or.... what about one of these?
    Miniature Australian Shepherd Sheltie sized, also come in Blue merle, much less coat than a Sheltie.... but drop-eared, high energy and can be very noisy!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. malwhit

malwhit New Member

Name:
    Malcolm
    If I could create my perfect dog "breed" it would have the temperament and looks of Lottie my shaggy black Labradoodle but the colouring and brains of Skippy, my Pembroke Corgi from 20 years ago:grin:
  4. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    Before you call anybody a fool, try not to undermine your obvious higher intelligence level by posting a dud link. :005:
  5. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    The link was there briefly, but the picture was too out of focus and behind the bars of a cage for me to be able to see the markings that were being referred to or in anyway use to add to the photoshop, so I ignored it...
  6. PB&J

PB&J New Member

Name:
    Jess
    Brilliant :mrgreen:
  7. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    I will hopefully one day breed these:
    [​IMG]
    The perfect breed! :D
  8. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Is that a famous champion Em. Stunning.
  9. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    I don't think so, just the picture from a book I've had since I was 7-8 years old! :lol:

It's exactly how an ESS should look imo, moderate feathering and all. :D
  10. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    You wont get any arguments from me this is Champion Contessa of Triegwillym we just don't seem to be able to breed them like that any more
    [​IMG]
  11. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    [​IMG]
    Oh my Lord, how gorgeous!!! :049: I could really see me owning a Welsh one day, lovely breed! :D

Hopefully with the recent addition to the breed standards we might get back to breeding dogs that really are fit for function. :D
  12. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Hopefully im pleased with the heads I've been getting but Id like more substance in the right places. Also some of the dogs now are a tad too long for me supposed to be short coupled.
  13. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Name:
    Emma
    It's difficult isn't it, especially in rare breeds?

Rossi is a lovely ESS temperament wise, but he's too long in the middle, has too much feather, and has no working instinct whatsoever! :lol:

Perfect family pet though, which is just what he was intended to be! :D
  14. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    It's a nightmare stud dogs that are healthy are thin on the ground. last year half of the welshie bitches went to a foreign dog over for Crufts and it missed to about 9 bitches.