Sometimes You Do What You Have to Do General Chat

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by lovemybull, Mar 13, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Azz likes this.

Sometimes You Do What You Have to Do

We got one of those nuisance reports from the school nurse. My kid was complaining of wrist pain...schoolatosis, meaning her wrist hurts to write her lessons but works fine for computer and video games. I told the nurse, sure we'll watch it but no I don't think she needs medical attention.
    So she called child services...gimmee a break here. That's why they miss cases where there's actual abuse, they're so glutted with unfounded reports.

So the caseworker called and said he had to come by and write a report. Usually if they come in your house looking for an issue they can find one. So I mentioned perhaps it would be better with the dogs if I talk to them on the porch. The guy was a bit stubborn. Then I mentioned the "P" word. Yep two of them. Now this could have blown up on me...that we have scary dogs in the house. But actually it went well. He called me right back and agreed that meeting on the front porch was an excellent idea.

They did have to do one tour of the house with the pups in the yard. Yes we have food in the fridge, yes we have functioning indoor plumbing, yes my daughter has her own bedroom. They stood in the doorway, tweaky that the dogs were going to bust the wall back in the house. Then this gentleman's eyes rested on the rat condo on her dresser. Little white bodies flinging themselves at the bars like so many flying squirrels. He blanched slightly, turned and walked out of the house...case dismissed.

So what they think we're a bit daft...at least they're gone.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    OMG. What type of school nurse is this. Needlessly reporting like that. I hate when people make false reports. It does nothing but cause trouble.
  4. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Glad everything turned out ok :)
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What an officious woman, and an embarrassing experience for you, Leslie. Thank goodness the dogs were not an issue. I suppose the only way to look at it is, better one false report than to miss a genuine case, but it seems a massive overreaction..
  6. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Yeah they have this "Obligation to Report" clause in the school system. Unfortunately it's usually based on nothing. If your child is late to school or wears the same shirt two days in a row somebody might be negligent. Then another kid who is on time and perfectly groomed but their home life is a nightmare slips under the radar.

I'm sure I've told the story before. When my girl was in summer camp they reported us. The charge they were investigating? My daughter sleeps with "vermin". Of course they came in and saw a big clean cage and happy rodents...who sleep by themselves thank you. Then there was a case last summer where they investigated a day care home and dropped the case...until one of the kids died a few months later.