Spaying a Puppy advice General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by NathanJ1994, Jan 29, 2020.

1. NathanJ1994

NathanJ1994 New Member

Name:
    Nathan Johnson

Spaying a Puppy advice

Hello All,

I am brand new to the forum and hoping you all can help. Me and my Girlfriend will soon be collecting our first puppy together (in around 7 weeks time). We initially had put a deposit down for a male as we have always had male dogs in the past and have a 4 year old Springer who we have not had castrated as my girlfriends family would like to breed from him at some point. Unfortunately, when the pups were born the litter contained only females so had to either take the deposit back or agree to take a female. As soon as we saw the photos we knew we had to take one as they were so adorable, so we are now super excited to collect our little GSP as soon as she is ready.

My question is when is best to get the pup spayed? I have read online that you can get this done as early as 8 weeks and many advise you should get this done before the first season. However my partner is adamant we have to wait until the pup has had at least 1 or 2 seasons before we get her done. I myself would like it done as soon as possible as we will be aiming to leave the GSP pup with the Springer during the day while at work and this will be very troublesome during the times she is in season.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    I agree with your girlfriend, and find it sad that so many vets are prepared to spay before bitch puppies are fully developed. Dogs need their sex hormones to lay down strong bone, and to regulate the time for the closure of growth plates at the end of the long bones. This is extra important in a large breed like a GSP.
    Because of the family's wish, perhaps your Spaniel could stay with a member of your girlfriend's family, or in a boarding kennel, when your Pointer has her season - although you can't accurately forecast, this may well not happen until she is around 10 months, so you have time to hatch a plan.
    Don't forget to post some photos of your new baby when she arrives. Exciting times ahead!
  4. NathanJ1994

NathanJ1994 New Member

Name:
    Nathan Johnson
    CaroleC likes this.
    thank you, the springer lives between both our house and her parents as she bought him while living at home so he is sort of a shared dog. Our idea was to keep our new puppy at her parents house during the day with the springer as her mum if often home through the day but when she is in season we will have to find an alternative.

I will be sure to post some photos once she arrives, we have one photo so far from the breeder and she looks so cute.

Attached Files: