Spaying my pup General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by who owns who, Sep 5, 2018.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I had to have an omentectomy and all my abdominal lymph nodes removed too.
    Three weeks after I was discharged I found two lumps in my armpit, and off we went again. That was a bad patch.
    Sorry Marc, off topic.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Haha, no problem. Lucky you found the lumps early.

I went back to sleep after dropping Katie Mae off and forgot that I had an acupuncture appointment... ☹️
  4. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Vet called and said all went well and she’s sleeping off her anesthesia. I wasn’t really worried about the surgery, as they do it all the time, but about how she would do at the vets overnight, being caged and around strange dogs.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm pleased all has gone well for your girl.
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I called the vets office and Katie Mae is up and has eaten and is wagging her tail!! The vet still needs to look her over but she should be ready to come home soon. I guess Bandit might be spending a lot of time outside during the next two weeks as I need to keep them seperated. I do have a baby gate between the kitchen and living room but KM often stands up on it and she probably shouldn’t be doing that... Bandit is still moping around, had to be bribed with a can of wet food mixed in with his kibble last night to eat, he didn’t eat breakfast yesterday. He’s going to want to play with her.. oh boy what fun this will be..
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    So far so good. She was excited to see me at the vets, excited enough to pee on the floor and I was kneeling down so I’ve changed my pants and washed up.. They were excited to see each other and I have them separated. Bandit has the outside and the kitchen and she has the living room. She hasn’t been licking the incision so I haven’t put the e-collar on but when I leave her unsupervised I will put it on. Not sure what I’ll do as far as sleeping arrangements.. maybe the same, one gets kitchen the other the living room. Right now she’s crashed out on the floor., she’s smells nice as I gave her a bath the day before she went in!!!
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Glad everything went well. I always find that keeping them calm is the worst part. Good luck with that!
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    So pleased that your girl is good - I had to laugh at her peeing and you ending up with wet pants though! But she is home and I am so happy.

If she does need a "cone of shame" I do not think it will bother her. Lexi did not need one, Pereg did [did not bother her though although she did look funny] and Tikki did not need one.
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    This is going to feel like a long two weeks... Bandit isn’t particularly liking the separation arrangements.. but both are dealing with it. I tried letting them sleep in the living room but it was obviously not going to work.. so first KM was in kitchen, but she cried so I put bandit in there but he whined, so I put KM in her crate in the living room and let bandit loose in there. She cried and whined and banged on the door.. and I just wanted to sleep.. so back she goes into the kitchen and eventually she laid down and went to sleep.

The vet said I should walk her the usual amount so we went for a walk last night. I put her on a two foot leash and bandit on his 6 ft leash, but I continually had to bring him back to my left as he wanted to play with her. Today I think they both get two ft leashes for their walk.

Bandit didn’t eat his breakfast this morning, a sure sign he’s not happy about something but he ate fine last night without a wet food bribe so he will eat when he gets hungry.

Like I said, it’s going to be a long two weeks..
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Is she still wearing the dreaded cone?
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    She’s left the incision alone so hasn’t needed the cone!!
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave and Malka like this.
    That's good. I hate that clattering around that they do when their cone doesn't fit through gaps. I hope they are more settled for you tonight.
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I hate those cones, they had one on Heiko after his op when I went to pick him up he freaked out, so I asked for the inflatable one and he was much better, I only left it on at night for a couple of days.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It seems such a shame that they have to go through all that jarring at a time when they are sore and feeling down. Inflatables aren't brilliant for back legs and tails though. We still have weary memories of Tweed being able to rub the stitches out of her stump on the carpet, and having to sit on 24 hour guard for three weeks!
    I'd do it again to have her back though.
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I must have been so lucky with my three. The only reason I put a cone on Pereg was because she kept leaping everywhere, including on my extra-high bed, where they both slept, playing with Lexi. I cannot remember but I do not think she had to wear it for long, but I do remember Lexi sleeping that first night on my slippers [as she did when I first brought her home].

Tik? Why would she bother with a couple of staples :102:
  17. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    We survived the two weeks of no play!! It was a long two weeks... Technically I think it was supposed to be tomorrow but as I was supposed to go back to work tomorrow (got text this afternoon said just come back on Monday) I wanted to make sure that they played nice. They mostly played nice and I think they used every outside toy as they were all moved around. They are both very happy to get to play again. There was no sutures to remove, the vet used glue... So happy that things are back to normal and I’m actually looking forward to going back to work.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm pleased that all has gone well for Katie Mae.
  19. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    That two weeks must have seemed to last forever and I am happy that Katie Mae and Bandit can now go back to playing together.

Tbh I have never heard of abdominal incisions closed with glue - I thought it was now staples, although I have had some scalp damage glued up - horrid stuff to try to wash out.

Big cuddles for both of your gorgeous two. :052: