Spitz Breed Off Lead Poll Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Louise13, Jul 4, 2007.

?

Do you walk your Spitz Breed

1. On Lead Only

3.3%
  2. On Lead & Off in Enclosed Spaces

21.3%
  3. On Lead & Off in Unenclosed Spaces

21.3%
  4. On Lead & Worked in Harness

11.5%
  5. On Lead & Off in Enclosed Spaces & Worked in Harness

32.8%
  6. On Lead & Off in Unenclosed Spaces & Worked in Harness

8.2%
  7. Other

1.6%
  1. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Seeing them for 1 or 2 hours a day is a rather different matter!!

When you LIVE with either I may be able to take you seriously..BUT then again..maybe not:roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. kate11

kate11 New Member

Name:
    Kate
    i walk rubster - setter off lead in open spaces loves nothing more than running, plodging and having fun.

lovely to here sibes an malamutes off lead, esp when there full of energy.

kate n ruby
  4. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    not in unenclosed areas it is not!!
  5. Adam P

Adam P

I actually don't see the diff living with one makes when my point is about training them to go off lead in unenclosed spaces.

Living to me means in the house with the dog.

Adam
  6. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Hmm....really...Living is being with the dog on a day in day out basis IMO, walks, house, car bedtime, waking times....there is SO much more to having a dog than outside walk times.
  7. Adam P

Adam P

All that stuff is interesting but doesn't really make a huge difference if the behaviour we are focuused on is off lead control.

Seeing as I'm often the first human to succesfully control the dog off lead I'm more interested in that than what the dog does in the home!

Adam
  8. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    It is - but you are making sweeping statements having only seen the dogs in question in set up environments.

You might get hired for it (as do I) but living with it IS different. I think you sometimes have to experience some things fro yourself before you can fully understand them - and I honestly think this is one of them.
  9. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    no.. u are the first human to inflict pain in a setup training session.... u really have no clue what makes a sibe tick and an overinflated ego.

loose the toys and what u got Adam?
  10. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Ohh...you changed it.

You are not the first person to claim to succeed...nor are you the first person to have the arrogance to claim you have....others have learnt the hard way - lets hope your clients dogs do not.
  11. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

You only 'train' (to use the word loosely) with aversive means. Nasty, hurtful and unpleasant. So, really, your assertions about how brilliant you are (highly questionable since you have limited experience and have failed with Jacca) don't cut it here.
  12. Lucky Star

Lucky Star Member

May I answer that?

Pain!
  13. Adam P

Adam P

I don't see how living with the dog is neccasary to know about off lead training with it.

Seems that the people who live with the dogs often can't off lead train them so in that at least their opinion is irrevelant to me.

Lucky Star
    Btw both Jacca's are a success.
    Unlike your own dog aggressive dog.

Adam
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  14. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    utter tosh!!! as usual :roll:

... btw whos da dog?
  15. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S

You are just doing what you always do,jumping in without the facts, there are very good reasons why Loki has developed his DA.
  16. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Missing the point once again! Most sibes and mals have good recall in case of emergency but owners don't take the chance!!!
  17. Tassle

Tassle New Member

Name:
    H
    Hmm.....somehow that does not surprise me.
  18. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    The general conclusion of not allowing your Spitz breed ( and i'm talking pretty much exclusively about Sibes and Mals here ) has always confused me. I'm a great admirer of the breeds but all the talk of them not being trusted off lead has me running for the hills as i could never have a dog that just couldn't be trusted off lead.

Do they have higher prey drives than Greyhounds, Lurchers and other Sighthounds? It's certainly something i've never heard. I have a Lurcher ( a Whippet x ) who is allowed off lead in both open spaces and enclosed spaces and i've never had any issues of him running away. Does he have a prey drive? Yep, and he's had a couple of rabbits and legged it after other small critters before. But seen as the places i walk him are safe and away from roads and built up areas i see no harm. I also know of many ex racing Greyhound owners who have Greys that are walked off lead. I also know of one guy who walks around my village with his Husky x totally off lead and that dog doesn't even set a paw off the pavement! Again, another lady i know on another forum who owns a Malamute can safely allow him off lead in open spaces without issues.

I really tend to hate the stereotyping of certain breeds and i often wonder if this topic is one of those stereotypes or just a training/trust issue. I mean, letting ANY dog off lead is a risk but it's about weighing up the pros/cons and taking that risk.
  19. Ripsnorterthe2nd

Ripsnorterthe2nd New Member

Name:
    Emma
    Brilliant post and it's for the same reason that I often wonder if the whole "no northern breeds off lead" thing is a myth? If high prey drive Greyhounds etc can run free then why not Huskies etc?! :?
  20. MickB

MickB New Member

Name:
    Mick
    We recently had a Sibe into rescue who had killed 6 sheep in one brief off-lead outing. Is that a high enough prey drive for you???????

The off-lead thing with huskies and northern breeds is not a myth, it is a generalisation based upon bitter experience over many years. Every single Siberian Husky related organisation in the world - bar none - takes exactly the same line. Huskies should not be allowed off lead in unenclosed areas. They don't take this line for fun, or to "big up" the wild nature of their dogs. They take it because it reflects the experience of thousands of owners worldwide over a long period of time.

Imagine for a moment that a sibe owner "trained" their dog to go offlead and was walking it along the road. It sees a cat and has a "husky moment" - chases the cat across the road and causes a car crash in which someone is killed. Given that, as I said above, every single Sibe organisation in the world advises against letting them off lead, the owner whose dog caused the crash could be liable for huge damages as, in legal terms, it could be argued that by acting against informed advice, they had been incredibly negligent in letting their dog off lead in an unenclosed area.
    Just a thought!

Mick
  21. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    yip!!!

its always peeps that dont own the breed or are 'newbies' and think they can change them,that hold the views of it being a 'myth' :-(