Sprocker: which dog food Diet

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Samowen70, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Samowen70

Samowen70 New Member

Name:
    Martin

Sprocker: which dog food

Hi everyone looking for some advice regarding dog food.I have a 4 month old sprocker,currently feed him 50/50 dry/wet food but being a new dog owner i havnt a clue as there is so many to choose.
    Can anyone shed some light on my problem
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Martin, have you ever thought of raw feeding?
  4. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Oh, the hours I have spent researching dog food! As you say, there are so many to choose from, and a lot of conflicting opinions.

If you have a good source of raw meat locally, or lots of freezer space so you can buy in bulk, you could look into raw feeding. There are books you can buy, and lots of advice online.

I don't feed kibble, but if I did I'd probably go for Fish4Dogs or, if I could afford it, Orijen.

My adult dogs get two meals a day - the breakfast varies, depending on how much time I have, but it will usually be home made. In the evenings they normally get Naturediet, which is a wet food but in a tray, not a can. Having said that, my supplier of Naturediet is apparently having supply problems so I have changed to Forthglade Lifestage, which they had for the first time last night and LOVED - even the fussy Chihuahua.

If your sprocker is happy eating the 50/50 dry/wet and is doing OK on it, and if it suits you, I would think there's no reason to change. Just make sure that whatever brands you get are good quality.

I've never had a springer so don't know what their eating habits are like, but the cockers I've had have always been extremely greedy - so if your pup is anything like that at least you won't have to worry about his appetite!
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
  6. Samowen70

Samowen70 New Member

Name:
    Martin
    No i was told about raw feed by a few freinds but ended up giving him what the previous owners suggested puppy food (wet) starrted adding pedigree dry food about 2 weeks ago just want the best for my dog overall preferably not costing the earth.
  7. Samowen70

Samowen70 New Member

Name:
    Martin
  8. Samowen70

Samowen70 New Member

Name:
    Martin
    I think codey is more cocker than springer,he is a bit lively at times but so are most dogs,he is a very GREEDY dog .
    He will eat absolutley anything tou put in front of him,i worry that not feeding him what he really needs may have an affect him later on.Maybe i read too much into things i do know he isnt very keen on fish,i tried him with chappie wet food(fish)he sniffed around it for a few mins then scoffed some and left it.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Martin, I feed my dog raw but until I learned about it on Dogsey learned about raw feeding, and then discovered this

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=137215

Pereg and my then Little One before her, were fed on kibble. I changed Pereg to a holistic kibble once her epilepsy started, but due to both it and her medication she was permanently hungry - at least her brain thought she was.

So once I heard about and learned more about raw feeding I changed her on to it.

I am not, however, one of those raw feeders who say raw is the best, raw is the only way to go. What I am saying is that it suits Pereg, it suits many many other dogs, and we are in charge of and responsible for what goes in our dogs' mouths.

And of course each dog is different and each dog [and each breed] might require different percentages of this, that and whatever in their food. And some say no grains whereas I say no processed grains but well cooked whole grains are fine. Just as I do not eat processed grains [or any processed foods], nor will I give them to my dog.

It took me quite a few months of trial and error before I finally hit on what suits my Pereg best. But she is just a mutt who just happens to be epileptic so there is no way I can compare her with another dog.

If I was ever able to have another puppy, or even an older [also rescue] dog, which is most unlikely, I would change them onto raw. But that is my choice after having studied raw feeding since I first heard about it, and no way would I ever push it as the best way for anyone else to feed their dog.

Incidentally, I still refer to the above linked post from time to time and will be forever grateful to Tarimoor for having posted it.
  10. Samowen70

Samowen70 New Member

Name:
    Martin
    T
    I will find the right feed
    Thanks for the link malka i will investigate and get back to you.
    I know quite a few spaniel owners who all differ on feed for their dogs ,so much information to process ill get there in the end.
  11. Samowen70

Samowen70 New Member

Name:
    Martin
    T
    Thanks for the reply janet plenty of info to go at .