Sumilov Dogs Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by muttzrule, Dec 24, 2007.

1. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael

Sumilov Dogs

I watched a program on the National Geographic Channel last night on dogs and genetics, in which they profiled the sumilov dogs of russia.

There is a scientist in Russia who has spent the past 30 years building a new breed of dog from the ground up. The Sumilov dog began with the crossing of Golden Jackals and herding dogs to create the pent-ultimate bomb detection dog. It seems he has been very successful, creating a dog that can work independently, all day long and can detect miniscule trace amounts of explosives.

One such dog is credited with the capture of a russian terrorist responsible for the deaths of more than forty innocent people.

Here is what one article has to say:

Just thought this was an interesting case study for those of us who agree with the crossing of breeds to create new breeds, and for those against the practice.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Wow, that must have been a very interesting program, wish I'd caught it now! May have to do a bit of surfing on that!
    Becky
  4. arctic.wolf

arctic.wolf

Name:
    Alison
    wow, that sounds really interesting, could you post the name of the tv programme and I will look out for if it gets repeated, it sounds well worth looking out for.

[​IMG]

just found a picture of them
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2007
  5. MarcB

MarcB New Member

Name:
    MB
    Think I saw a page on wikipedia about these dogs.