The Right Breed... Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by MazY, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    All dogs are photogenic. End of. If the photographer takes a poor shot the fault is down to the photographer not
    the subject.

To use how photogenic a dog is as a criteria for getting one is indeed shallow ( your word). I make
    no apologies for agreeing with you!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Everyone's taste is different, and there imo is nothing wrong with including looks into your criteria, as long as the other important aspects are considered, which in this case they are. One of the reasons I love GSD's is their appearance. And it's prob the only reason why I wasn't so keen on a rotti, don't get me wrong I think they are good looking and Zeus is stunning, but I prefer fluffier dogs! His temperament however is fantastic and that is why we have him.

I don't know much about the breeds mentioned as they aren't my cup of tea, although I do like the Spinone! A little larger.. but what about a Leonberger.. I've met a few who are chilled out, not too giant that they can't handle a good walk, very friendly and imo gorrrgeous!!
  4. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    I agree. Looks shouldn't be the biggest criteria but I see nothing wrong in someone wanting a dog they consider nice to look at as well as meeting other requirements.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Personally I don't see the problem :017: I think that unfortunately some people have taken "unphotogenic" to mean "ugly" or "unattractive", when that isn't the case (in my understanding at least). Some dogs, breeds of dog, or different colours etc are more camera friendly than others but not necessary "more attractive".

Also, the OP gave "photogenic" as just one criteria when choosing his dog - and, if we are all honest, how many of us have "attractive" (to the beholder at least ;-) ) as a criteria when choosing a breed of dog?

So - to GSDLover - best of luck finding a Spin pup suitable for you and your family. I think you will find them a walk in the park after owning GSDs and BCs :mrgreen:
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I think there are HPRs and HPRs though - in my experience, Spinoni are not your regular HPR.
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Well like you said, "unphotogenic" does read as 'unattractive' to a lot of people. I'm sure the OP did not mean that however.

Obviously everyone is attracted to certain breeds. There are plenty of breeds I find unattractive, however I'd never name them as such. I'd be just say that they were not my cup of tea. ;-)
  8. Ramble

Ramble Member

Name:
    Ramble
    To clarify: I have NO issue with people liking the 'look' of one dog over another, none at all. Clearly Flat Coats are the best looking dogs in the world lol ;-). Most people are indeed drawn to the way a dog looks as well as their temperament. I have no issue with that at all. It doesn't take a genius to work out that I love black dogs.
    I do however, take issue with someone choosing a dog because they are photogenic. All dogs are photogenic. If people cannot take a good picture of a dog then the issue lies entirely with their photography skills, not with the dog breed. Black dogs are notiriously difficult to photograph, but I have friends who take truly amazing shots, because they are skilled at what they do.

Perhaps the OP meant attractive, in his eyes, as opposed to photogenic? As clearly all dogs are photogenic?

As I say, I have no issue with looks being part of the attraction to a breed... But only a small part ;-) :)
  9. MazY

MazY New Member

Name:
    Me
    Thank you for the helpful comments and feedback. :)
  10. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    If as you have stated you really feel that I responded with 'vitriol', then might I recommend grabbing a dictionary and looking up 'vitriol'.

I think you will find that my comment was perfectly reasonable and polite.

Public forums encourage candid comments. If you don't want people to offer honest opinions, then don't post on a public forum :mrgreen:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012
  11. Barnaby0507

Barnaby0507 New Member

Name:
    Oliver
    Azz likes this.
    Personally, I think flat coats are stunning (Biased owner). Not only that, they have so much character, loyalty, gentleness and something silly day to day that will make you laugh. Wouldn't be without mine. Don't be too quick to say no to a flat coat ;)

Attached Files: