Then and Now.. Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by SLB, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    He certainly is very similar to the early gsd! What is in the background of both breeds?

Helen

ps, why do these threads always turn into gsd threads :twisted: ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Thanks DoKhyi. I think he is a stunning dog, and can't wait to see what he is like when fully mature - as he is still only 11 months old.

I still don't really understand why the topline has changed so much in the show GSDs and also, if it partly to do with the way they are stacked (as I realise that is why the topline can often look very roach or "banana" like) for shows, then why and when did this change? As can be seen from the photos, GSDs never used to be stacked in such a way - or they were, but their backs didn't look quite deformed like some do now :017: It really puzzles me.
  4. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Were there Malinois in the make-up of early GSDs? They do look incredibly similar.
  5. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Haha - I don't know about the saviour, but I am certainly very happy with him ;-)
  6. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The showline GSDs always seem to have the most wonderful rich colouring and beautiful heads.
  7. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The thing is though that the show GSD is one of the most rigorously health tested and many of the top people do all the health tests going and are striving for a healthier GSD. Unfortunately the way that dogs are stacked for the show ring just looks so wrong though. I don't know enough about it though to really comment. Wildmoor will hopefully read this thread and give her take on the whole show GSD thing, as an advocate of West German showlines. I will also try and find three pics of my different GSDs standing side on to show that actually my WG showline when stood "naturally" doesn't have the sort of slanting back that you see in the show ring.
  8. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    :005: :005: :005: :005:

In all seriousness I have found that the showline GSD really does get people hot under the collar - even non-dog people :017:
  9. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I was thinking that and was about to post "Moobli - get your own thread, hi-jacking this one with two photos of Zac and everyone just comments about him.." ;) :lol:

I think the GSD is the one that has most changed, along with bull breeds, of which I thought there would be more of. But I am craving some gundogs - more please.. what about Weims and other HPRs?
  10. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Boston Terrier 1910

[​IMG]
  11. bijou

bijou New Member

Name:
    yvonne
    The Belgian, Dutch and German Shepherd dogs were all bred to perform the same job - to circle flocks of sheep and to warn of possible danger - thus they all originally had the same body type, proportions, angulations, bone size and general structure - of the the three breeds only the GSD has shifted so drastically from it's original type - the Dutch and Belgian breeds remain largely unchanged- this shift towards a heavier boned, longer backed and more extremely angulated body shape is obviously what people prefer as the GSD remaiins far and away the most popular of the three continental shepherding breeds - I'm puzzled why people complain about the way the GSD has developed yet continue to buy them when more moderate alternatives exist !

This same double standards has made breeds such as the Bulldog and Pug amongst the more popular of breeds despite their very extreme phenotype - I guess people LIKE their dogs this way - despite all their protestations !!
  12. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    All very fascinating Bijou - thanks.

Had to google boston terrier to remind what they look like today.

I did find this on the internet:

[​IMG]

Apparently a weimaraner from a painting done in the 1600s

Helen
  13. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    very interesting thread ive enjoyed looking at them. :grin:

just thought i would mention, for some of the german sheperd pictures they stack them in the ring dont they? which actually makes the topline look worse than what it is...

im trying to find some early crested ones. finding a puff is a hard one, because for a long time they just used to be "disposed" of.
  14. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    That is a very valid point actually and it would be interesting to hear what other GSD owners have to say about their choice of shepherd, if they aren't keen on the way the GSD has developed.

My first GSD was a rehome from the police (and was of mixed lines), Flame is English obedience lines ("straight back" but with short legs :? ) and Yogi is WG showlines (not extremely angulated but again with short legs). Zak is obviously workline and looks very different to the others.

I suppose that people continue to buy the breed for various reasons such as they have always had one and don't want to change breed, or that they don't realise there are different options out there. I know I was a little wary for a while of owning a workline, as I worried it may be too much for me - that has proven untrue.

Speaking for myself, when I bought my showline I was looking for a longcoat with good health and temperament and didn't really give much thought to different lines as such, although I wanted a well bred dog. I was recommended a breeder of mainly longcoats whose foundation stock were from show dogs. I don't believe Yogi is an extreme example of a showline type and I am happy with him (although he has those short legs :lol: ) but now I know that I can happily live alongside a working line, that will be my preference in future years.
  15. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Also, I wonder why the GSD has always been, and continues to be, the most popular of the shepherding dogs?
  16. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I *think* the modern Boston doesn't look too different ... or does it? I need to go and look for a comparison!

Wow - look at that Weim. I would say it is recognisable as such, and I didn't even realise they were such an old breed. Why did I think they were quite modern? :017:
  17. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I think cos the Dutch is still very very much a working dog. Not really "pets"
    I think they are stunning tho!
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    They do - but what I am interested in finding out is why they are stacked in such a way now, as opposed to in the past - when GSDs in the show ring (when stacked) did not look like they do today.
  19. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Yes the Dutch definitely is - but what about the Belgian Shepherd varieties - esp the Tervuren and the Groenendael, who have been shown and kept as pets for as long as GSDs.
  20. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    I dont know TBH..If I were to have a Belgian, then it would be the Mali. I dont know why, but they "do it" for me.
  21. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    They are pretty similar, but have a shorter muzzle. That one looks like it is a little taller in the leg as well.

I always thought hpr's were a modern breed as well, and was very surprised to find otherwise.

Helen