This morning's panic! Health

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Janet, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

This morning's panic!

So much for me saying on another thread how careful I am with medication.

I fed the dogs this morning, giving Witty his Benefortin tablet at the same time. What happened to distract me from my normal practice I don't know, but somehow I left the foil strip of tablets on the worktop. I wondered why Pepe hadn't come out into the garden as usual after his meal, and found him with the foil strip. Empty apart from half a tablet. So he'd had five and a half tablets.

I rang the Vet immediately, but he's reassured me that it is very unlikely that they'll have done him any harm. Fortunately he is a big dog and the tablets were for a little dog.

So now I've got to make an unplanned trip into town to get some more tablets for Witty.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Oh dear Janet :( I always know when Chloe has 'stolen' something she shouldn't have because she runs upstairs with it at top speed :rolleyes:

You were wise to ring the vet immediately and I hope this put your mind at rest :)
  4. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Thanks for that Janet, it made me laugh out loud..wicked Witty..stay off the pills :018:
  5. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    naughty pepe. glad they wont do him any harm
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Malka likes this.
    They certainly didn't seem to have any effect on him at all - it's over 24 hours now and he's absolutely fine.

So, this morning I was obviously ultra-careful. I kept all the dogs out of the kitchen while I was preparing their breakfast and the medication, and put the tablets safely away in a cabinet. Fed them, then took Witty out in the garden (he always finishes his first so I take him out immediately otherwise he tries to dive in and pinch the others' meals). Waited for Pepe to join us. Didn't come, so went to investigate and found that this time he'd pinched the wooden spoon which was in the porridge which was cooking on the hob. He was lucky he wasn't burnt by the gas flame!
  7. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Janet likes this.
    wow pepe sounds like such a character. he must keep you on your toes
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    Oh dear, naughty Pepe :096:

I am glad that he is OK from the tablets but now pinching the spoon from the porridge?!

Pereg does not often nick things but when she does she usually rushes outside with them. These include a turkey neck which I dropped as I was putting a load in the freezer, half a white cabbage which was in a poly bag on the counter in the kitchen - I was also in the kitchen but had my back to her...

...and woe betides if I get a baguette or challa from the macolet and just hang the polybag on one of Xanadu's handles instead of putting it in my bag. It will be off the instant I drive through the door! :044:
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Malka and Janet like this.
    Naughty Pepe - he felt left out :043:
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Your very naughty Pepe be more careful or you be going to the vets :096:
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    So far he's been very very lucky - everything he manages to eat comes out one end or the other. Socks are sometimes vomited up, sometimes they go right through. Where does he get them from?

I do need to devise a Pepe-proof routine with regard to socks (he's not bothered whether they're clean or worn) because one day his luck will run out and, as 6JRTs says, he'll be having to visit the vet!
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Luckily Pereg only eats food. And tissues. And small tasty pieces of sun-dried crunchy poo! :043:

[only her own though! :005:]
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    How enchanting!

Bogie's favourite delicacy is finding and digging up cat poo.
  14. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's, Levita and Malka like this.
    I can't believe how Pepe grabs any opportunity.

A couple of minutes ago, Witty asked to go out. As he needs to go a lot because of the tablets he's on. I hurried to let him out. Came back to see Pepe triumphantly trotting down the hall with something in his mouth. It was the carton of cream - unopened - that I had been about to stir into the curry I am making.

I quickly removed it from his mouth and said nothing to the rest of the family.
  15. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not laughing
    I am not laughing
    I am not laughing
    I am not laughing
    I am not laughing

[​IMG]
    [I am a liar :blush:]

16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Janet likes this.
    Oh dear...glad she is ok, I remember when Millie ate a packet of my hubbies heart tablets , she spent the evening in the vets , but was ok !
  17. Levita

Levita New Member

Name:
    Levita
    Janet likes this.
    Janet, I had the same problem with my Jap Chin when visiting friends that have cats..
  18. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    Janet likes this.
    Oh goodness haha Thank heavens the rascal is ok.
    I had a dog that was a master thief. Have you consider if he can open the closets to get the socks? My Cody would open drawers and closets to get my bras out :017:
    She would also pickpocket my jacket and hide my keys while I got ready for work, she stole and ate all candles and even managed to nick them out of silver candleholders off of a glass table without making a sound :077:
    She had me on my toes every day of our five years together and I loved most minutes of it ;)
  19. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    IceCody likes this.
    Sounds like there was never a dully moment with Cody around!

If we can't find anything, the first place we look is the dog beds! Sometimes there are so many shoes there that there's hardly room for a dog! But in the past I've also found wallets,spectacles and a hearing aid!
  20. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Janet likes this.
    Im glad phoebe doesnt have doggy friends as they could be teaching her all this naughty stuff and shes naughty enough on her own
  21. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    OMG Janet I'd be a nervous wreck, thank gawd my 2 tea leafs Milan and Diesel are only interested in nicking food, I think the worst they've managed was a whole loaf of bread left to defrost on the side, they ate the whole loaf between them semi frozen.