**TMI warning!** Health

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Wizegrl00782, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thanx ladies! I'm sorry...I'll quit mixing the rice with her dog food. I took her out to potty & I see that her poo is still very loose but did see a slight solid in there. Think I should wait it out just another day or so? Regardless I'm still going to make a vet appt. She needs an overall checkup anyways from MY vet.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica - NO more dog food. Only plain over-boiled rice. I would say just rice for a couple of days and then add some plain boiled white chicken or white fish. But NO more dog food of any kind. Seeing some solid in her poo shows that something inside her GI tract is still causing problems, and you need to get her GI tract clear.

Definitely no more dog food. Or you can not give her any food at all for a couple of days, as long as she is still drinking, as she will not starve.

But please, NO MORE DOG FOOD until she has had a full vet check-up. And please, when you take her to your vet - with a sample of her poo- take her as soon as you can. Because the longer this goes on the longer it might take to treat, and the sooner it is diagnosed the sooner it can be treated.

This really is not something you can just wait "in case it clears up". It needs a vet diagnosis asap. Tell the vet it is an emergency if they try to make you wait for an appointment.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If my maths is right, this is now her fourth day with the runs. Plenty of time for something that she might have picked up to have passed through her. There are just too many other possibilities to guess at. I would take her to the vet.
  5. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    You are correct! I marked it down on my calendar. It started at 3am Friday the 23rd. There could be many things going on here.
  6. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Can I use a regular thermometer (the kind u put under ur tongue) to check her temp? Or do u have to use a special thermometer to use on dogs? Cuz the thermometer I have does to rectal temps (for newborn babies) but didn't know if you could use it on a dog. The insides of her ears feel warm & pinkish in color. I wanted to see if she has a temp
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If it is OK to use rectally for a baby, then it should do for a dog. Normal dog temp. should be somewhere around 101.5°. I presume that your thermometer will register high enough temperatures.
  8. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    She absolutely refuses to have anything put in her bum!:eek: lol so that was an epic fail :( shes acting like her normal self tho. She puked up some yellowish liquid an hour ago. I just read that u cam give dogs Peptobismol or Imodium for diarrhea. Can u do that? I don't have any on hand currently but if it is safe to give dogs that?
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    It is lot safer to let the vet diagnose first!
    Imodium will stop bowel motility, but that will do nothing to reverse the cause of the problem - irritant, bacteria, virus or whatever.
  10. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    True! I just like to try home remedies first before I rush to the vet. Shes still eating the rice which is good. She had 1 bowel movement from this morning compared, to multiple potty breaks thru out the day previously. But I will still take her to my vet anyways. I'll make an appt! :023:
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Jessica, NO Peptobismol, NO Imodium, NO trying to check her temperature [what would that tell you in any case], NO this, that, or maybe.

VET - asap. If you have to telephone for an appointment tell them it is URGENT. And do not forget to take a sample of her poo with you.

The longer you leave it the longer it will take for a diagnosis and the longer it will be before Mila can be treated and gets over this whatever-it-is.

And yes, I am nagging you. Home remedies are fine for some things but you do not even know what the cause of Mila's problems is so no amount of home remedies will help - they can make things much worse.
  12. Wizegrl00782

Wizegrl00782 Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Your ok! ;) I will certainly call my vet. They r usually pretty good at taking me in right away.