too big to lift? Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by smak, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The answer is in that brief video clip. A pretty, light-coloured puppy and what looks like an immaculate room.

No grubby dogs or muddy footprints wanted.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Like @Pork1epe1 My dogs stay on the ground, - except that I do lift puppies, (and oldies), into and out of a car. Mistimed jumps and heavy landings are not ideal for developing, or arthritic, shoulders and elbows.
    I find that it is impossible to avoid mud on rural walks, but always keep some old towels in the car, and a good rub keeps it to a minimum. As @who owns who suggests, the dry dirt will fall off with a decent brushing.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I bought some packs of dog wipes - like baby wipes but much larger and stronger. They were a life-saver when Pereg messed herself [just went in the bin after use, obviously not down the loo].

They were also useful when she came in with muddy paws, my yard being mostly earth/mud in the winter, and as I do not have a bath tub they were ideal. In fact Pereg never had a bath in her too short life, but I could always clean her up with a couple of dog wipes. Luckily they were on special offer when I discovered them so still have a couple of packs in the store cupboard.

Tikva, when I was weaning her, used to "swim" in the bowl of baby cereal or special baby food, but she was tiny enough for me to put her in the sink and run cool water over her. No way could I do that now even if I could lift her - knowing her she would take a flying leap over my shoulder out of the sink!

But my dogs shared/share my home, and my home and I have to put up with any mess that might happen. [Sorry my beloved Pereg, I was meaning you].
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    I have the back seat of the car covered with a blanket that gets changed when we have a mucky walk. By the time we get home, the muck has usually transferred to the blanket so no need to wash mucky feet.

As my garden tends to get soggy in winter (high water table here), I tend to have greater feet and belly cleaning duties after her zoomies :)
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    If they are really muddy, mine can go for a splash and a paddle before we get back to the car - a quick rub-a-dub down and they are clean enough for the car and house. I don't think it hurts the working breeds, and the Lurchers and Beags have always been quite keen to go for a dip. I may have to keep an eye on the temperature now they are getting older though.