Top 10 most expensive dog breeds General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Bulldogs4Life, Apr 20, 2015.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Of course as with any shelter adoption you can end up with a nutjob like Sophie. But I don't know...if you spend a gadjillion dollars for a breeder and still get a nutjob like Sophie...do you take them back? Is the neurotic aspect bred out of them? Or so they hope? I dunno
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    LMost likes this.
    It depends on what you want to do and what the breeders policy is. Typically if you're going to a good breeder the dogs will have a stable, sound temperament and one appropriate to the breed. Then it is up to the new owner to train and socialize. I don't think of a neurotic aspect being bred out I don't think it is something natural to dogs to even breed out. Certain breeds might be seen as neurotic but it's not something you see in dogs in general, it can't see it as a benefit.

But we are discussing health originally. Lmost point is people can pay say $200 to a byb and end up with a dog that has on going health problems or require a single surgery that's 3-5k depending on surgery & vet. So they saved a lil money but it cost them more in the long run than going to agood breeder. My point was that this is the case with shelter dogs too $80, $100, $200 to adopt but they can be a gamble on health. That doesn't mean people shouldn't adopt you are saving a life and the byb isn't benefitting from it monetarily.
  4. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    With Rescues you have to also look at the fact you know the pup has been wormed, check for parasites, and had a full check up.
    Where as most byb order the cheapest shot they can find online and that is it.

Also a lot of time your talking about rescuing a dog more in the 7 month and older range, where health issues have been addressed.

Please remember that many do surrender there pets because they can not afford the medical bill, sadly though a lot also get rid of the pets there because they did not put the training time in and now the dog is out of control (these dog though do not go back out generally unless they are worked with prior).

This is also why I advise people not to get Mastiffs or mastiff type breeds.
    If you don't put in the time with it, there very hard to rehome, and if you beat a mastiff, your asking for serious bodily harm and risking your life or the life of another.
  5. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Likewise with Sophie, whoever had her previously taught her to fear for her life. Callie on the other paw is the kind of boy who would maim someone abusive to him. With adult dogs they go the full spectrum.
  6. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    How do you know she isn't just poorly bred. It can be hard to tell. As either is going to give the result of a fearful dog.
  7. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    I saw an ad for AKC Hungarian Puli male pups for $1,200. That's somewhere around the top ten most expensive in the U.S.
  8. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Are they usually more expensive? They seem rare in the states so you'd think they would cost a lot to a degree anyway.
  9. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Location around the country has nothing to do with how much breeders charge for their pups, how you could regulate/ dictate a price across the board is unrealistic ...you can't tell people how much to charge ....and to be honest even if you could have a set price, someone will alwAys be reDy to undercut it, and those pups that are badly bred already will be born in even worse conditions, and the bitches will be abused even more due to lower costs yet wanting maximin profit.

If you want a pedigree dog, then it's up to you to research , and to be honest how much you pay should be the last thing on your mind, good health good breeding should be the first consideration,
  10. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    What's wrong with a breeder charging the earth for their pups, if you don't want to pay it, then don't go there....if they have reared pups well, done health tests on parents and bred well adjusted dogs of sound temperament and health, spent countless hours looking after the bitch and pups...and put a high price on their pups, what's it got to do with you, me or the KC.

It's unrealistic to suggest the KC could set a price guide ...just how would that work.

People will pay as much or as little as they want for their pup, just like they would for any purchase they buy, they will either buy to budget or shop around for the cheapest.

I think generally you will pay between £800 - £1000 for a well bred pup these days, some breeds a bit more some a bit less, and it can also differ between breeders ..
  11. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Great posts Jackie with excellent points. Many people do not realize the time and money it takes to breed. If you can find a good breeder on the lower end price that's great, but there is nothing wrong with the higher end prices of good breeders either. I don't see how good breeders changing "the earth" is negatively effecting dogs, their breed, their pups, ect
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
  13. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I heard something about that. As you have "crackdown" and an over saturated market. It is very sad.

In the states it's still a breed you will likely pay $1,500-3,000 for a pup.
  14. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Vee, if you look under Introductions and under T in the Dog Breed Section you'll find postings from a TM breeder in China who was obviously trying to find a market for his dogs. He included contact details and a link which Azz removed. We have two TM's in our obedience class .... such magnificent creatures!
  15. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    I'm yeah he spammed a threads in different forums. They were removed add they were the same ad in each and posted in wrong breed sections, ect.
  16. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I suppose one has to give him credit for trying to sell them, rather than sending them to the same fate as other TM's. And to think I sometimes threaten my two "monsters" with the rescue centre when they're not behaving themselves! What a horrid mum I am.:oops:
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Just had a look ,seems to be same bloke that commented at bottom of article in the mail.
  18. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Think I would give him more credit if he stopped mass producing them in the first place. It sounded like a mill from the wording of having pups seemed like all year around anytime. It is better to try and sell them for the dogs themselves, possibly as you don't know what type of home they will get could end up in very abusive/neglectful home and they could end up breeding dogs making even more.
  19. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I go by the average price of pups, and that is down to each breed and not necessarily related to the numbers of pups produced. Labs *generally* produce smaller litters than flat coats, but flat coats command a higher price as nicely bred pups are hard to come by. When you look at the costs a good breeder incurs when breeding, there's not really any room for a profit, and litter on litter they either need to have another job, or a rich partner in my experience, otherwise they are breeding for the sake of it!
  20. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    The shelter where I got Pikey, a 7 year old beagle, had an adoption fee of $400.
  21. Bulldogs4Life

Bulldogs4Life Member

Name:
    Ezee
    Dang $400 adoption fee