Trying to figure our, or at least get an idea of what breed my new dog is. ID this breed/mix

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by PoqPitcher20, Nov 13, 2013.

1. PoqPitcher20

PoqPitcher20 New Member

Name:
    Star

Trying to figure our, or at least get an idea of what breed my new dog is.

I would post a picture, but it seems that is not possible. At any rate, my husband and I adopted a puppy a few months ago. Her name is Tessah and she is roughly 7 month old. She has a lean and muscular build, with a dramatic tummy tuck (trust me she is not underfed, girl's a pig!). She is pretty small only standing as tall as my knee . She is white and liver colored with a black nose. Her coat reminds me a lot of the Brittany I had as a kid and she is complete with "freckles" but her face is not very Spaniel looking, save for her VERY expressive eyebrows. She is very energetic and loves to play. Our cats are her favorite playmates, as our other dog is old and not much for playing a lot. She is one of the most affectionate dogs I have ever had, and tends to be a bit wary of strangers, but is quick to warm up once she knows someone. She is not aggressive but guards our gate vigilantly and alerts us to anyone or thing that comes by, growling occasionally. She is very smart and picks up training easily, but is hard headed. When she doesn't want to do something she pulls the "look how cute I am" routine. Or flat out ignores me. I want to figure out her breed/s mainly because I want to know what tack to take with her training. Any ideas are welcome! Here are a few good pictures of her. The last one is her being offended that I would suggest that she would do anything wrong =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    She's absolutely gorgeous x
  4. PoqPitcher20

PoqPitcher20 New Member

Name:
    Star
    Thank you!!! She just keeps getting more and more elegant looking each day. She is certainly a little lady, but lord is she stubborn. Herr constant cuddles are worth it, though.:grin:
  5. Animal Grace

Animal Grace New Member

Name:
    Ernest Bortfeld
    I suggest you do not use the DNA testing. We were going to sell them until I learned that each company employs a different set of markers which means the same dog could come out with different results from different companies. All that matters is that you have a good dog!

Even for training, it is best to go by the dog's personality than a pre-determined set of attributes. For ex, I have an Akita/Cattle Dog mix who acts more like a cattle dog than any akita but he looks like a small Akita. He has a herding instinct so that was the primary attitude I addressed in trainging
  6. PoqPitcher20

PoqPitcher20 New Member

Name:
    Star
    Thanks for the heads up on the DNA tests. I had heard before that they weren't reliable but this is helpful confirmation. Guess it is time to look into how to train a hard headed mutt, lol =)

The only dogs I have ever had a hand in training were the labs and spaniels I grew up with. I have been lucky enough in my adult years that the dogs I have rescued have just been very obedient and receptive to training...and then there is Tessah. I know a lot of it is that she is a puppy and I need to allow a lot of patience for that. She learns quickly, and is very smart,but I have never bed a more hard headed dog than her (except maybe my grandparents Basenji, but you never really train a Basenji you come to an understanding lol.) If she wants to do it fine, but if she has her own agenda whooo it is a fight.
  7. spitzlover

spitzlover New Member

Name:
    spitz4life
    shes a stunner, love the ears
  8. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Those ears are amazing and completely change her face when they go up!
  9. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I love her. And that last pic awwww!

My dog does that too - if she just doesn't want to do what you asked her - she goes into 'come on let's have some fun' mode and starts prancing about like a dancing fool!
  10. Animal Grace

Animal Grace New Member

Name:
    Ernest Bortfeld
  11. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Aw Tessah is GORGEOUS ..... such a pretty girl:007: :007: If I had to guess I would think she has some collie and terrier in her (maybe Jack Russell) .... but who cares ... she is lovely.:049:
  12. TracyKNixon

TracyKNixon New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Cannot help?
  13. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    She is gorgeous.
  14. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    She does look small, so I think she's probably a medium breed with like terrier or something as mostly the other half. You didn't say how much she weighed?

With those ears, first thing that pops into my head is border collie... it also makes sense since you said she was easy to train. Either way, she's a mixed breed but veryyyyy cute.

As for training, like the other user said... her breeds don't necessarily make her temperament. I've seen fearful pit bulls and aggressive Labs and neither of those fits within the breed descriptions.
  15. Moyra

Moyra New Member

Name:
    Moyra
    Yes I though some JRT in her but what ever you do be consistent with your training her. You are king dog not her.
  16. PoqPitcher20

PoqPitcher20 New Member

Name:
    Star
    Thanks guys, she is certainly a pretty girl, and boy does she know it. Such a little princess =)
  17. moetmum

moetmum New Member

Name:
    Gerry
    I would say JRT and terrier too.