Wanting suggestions of dog breeds! Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by kammi_sparky123, May 8, 2013.

1. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:

Wanting suggestions of dog breeds!

Hey everyone! Been a while, been quite busy! :p

The last time I asked something like this I was single and dead set I would be moving out on my own.....

Things changed :p

So I am curious what breeds you would now suggest/recommend to me! :D

I will still only be getting another one when we move out, which will still be in 2-3 years, but the situation will be different.....

The "ideal" (and hopeful, if all goes well!) situation is that.. I will be working from home so will be around as much as I am needed!

I would like another puppy, as I would have the time to be around for training :)

We will have a medium sized house, with similar garden!

I do have Alfie already, who still adores his bigger dogs :p and is becomming less and less interested in smaller ones lol.

We would like something Boxer/Labrador sized, possibly smaller (like a Springer), but around that kind of size!

Just looking for suggestions (other than my obvious Boxer choice :lol: ) the thing with Boxers is the amount of health issues they can have :( makes me sad!
    They are still a definite option, very definitely :p but due to their poor health I was just wanting a few other options to look into! :)

Exercise wise.... Alfie at the moment gets between 45 mins and 2 hours a day!

Working from home, I would take them out out twice a day, most probably for a half hour walk, and then another hour or so later in the day.... I will do most of the walking on my own, so a dog that isn't a complete wimp would be fabulous :p but it's not a top priority.

In the house it would be nice if they were fairly settled, not running riot the ENTIRE time :lol:

Any other info needed, just ask! :D
    Just looking for suggestions and input really!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Lurchers and terriers always seem to go well together - my terrier Witty and the late Gertie got on really well, even though they were complete opposites - the terrier on the go all the time, the lurcher bone idle.

They come in various sizes (Gertie was quite big), would run around like mad on your walks but relax as soon as you were home.

Perhaps not much of a protection dog though - I know that if we had ever been burgled while we had Gertie, she wouldn't have even stirred herself to bark!
  4. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I read this and thought gsd from a well chosen line before I even got to the protection bit!
    Or any gun dogs, someone who lives on my mums road has a Brittany and it is exceptionally gorgeous!!
  5. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I think if you really want a Boxer you should go with it, there is no reason why your Boxer should not live a long and healthy life, as long as you buy from a reputable breeder who does all the relevant health tests for the breed.

There is not guarantees in life and to deny your self the breed you want because you are worried it might get ill at some point, is only going to deny you the pleasure of owning said breed.

All dogs even mongrels and cross-breeds will be susceptible to health issues sometimes, that's "life" sadly (as with humans) , it goes without say you must do your research and buy from reputable breeders, but if you buy from healthy stock, there is no reason a Boxer should not live a healthy life till he reaches double figures .;-)
  6. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Hi, while Boxers are predisposed to tons of health problems... getting one from a solid breeder with a strong champion pedigree will probably mean a healthier puppy. I've had mostly mutts and they were all strong healthy dogs.

(VERY) important to make sure the hips and elbows are either good or excellent OFA. I like Boxers, but they slobber a lot and tend to be quite smelly if cleaning isn't kept up.

IMO, they also tend to gain weight easily. You could always go with some type of Boxer mix. Might be a bit smaller, maybe a bit healthier? If you really want a Boxer, go for it though... look around for a good breeder and don't be afraid to spend some extra money if you're bent on a pure bred dog.
  7. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Hips and elbows are not on the recommended list of health screening for Boxers in the UK...

Boxers are not a slobbery breed, neither are they a smelly breed , not sure where that comes from :?

If the gain to much weight it's down to the owner, not the breed.

They are not predisposed to "tons" of health problems either.
  8. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    On my phone so can't reply properly just now, but Jackbox I think you are right! I just adore them as you know!

Emmis - gsd's were quite high up the list also! :)

There's just something about boxers.....

The other breed i have been looking into a bit is the hungarian vizsla as i know a few of them and they are lovely dogs too.
  9. Norma808

Norma808 New Member

Name:
    Norma
    Vizsla make wonderful dogs ,trying to persuade the oh to add one to our gang ,unfortunatly it's falling on deaf ears ,as we've kept gsp's for many years
  10. kimberleythomas

kimberleythomas New Member

Name:
    KIMBERLEY
    I have just seen the cutest labradoodle it was a miniture one but I think they can be bigger.
  11. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    Yes they nanny be all sorts of sizes depending ont he size of either of the parents.
  12. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Agree about the VIzsla, lovely family pets....
  13. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Okay been thinking about it a lot at work and i think my top two are boxers and vizslas..... With boxers still in the lead :p
  14. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    :) If your heart is really set on a boxer, then go for it! You have plenty of time to get researching and finding out more about them.

Could you visit some shows where there are boxer classes scheduled, but a catalogue and talk to exhibitors? I'm sure you would begin to identify which dogs you liked and which owners / breeders you felt you could trust. If you note down the dogs you take to and the names of their breeders, you might see a pattern emerging that would lead you to a particular breeder.

I don't know anyone directly involved in boxer rescue, but when I was tentatively interested in a couple of breeds that I decided actually not to go for, I found that the rescue contacts were really enlightening to talk to and for a small donation to rescue funds, I was able to book a phone call at a time to suit them and ask loads of questions.
  15. kammi_sparky123

Name:
    Thanks!

I think deep down (I say that, it's really not that deep down :lol: ) I do want a Boxer next.....

I have started so many of these "what breed for me" threads, and they all end the same way...... Boxer for me then! Haha :)

The Vizsla may be the one after that then! :D
  16. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Either /Or ..........both good choices , both my favourite breeds.:007:
  17. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    I'm guessing you were shaving your legs when you wrote this!:grin:
  18. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    I met a gorgeous Brittany 4mth pup, very calm for & well behaved for it's age.
  19. Fivedogpam

Fivedogpam New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I have to admit that all the ones I've met are - very! It's what would put me off owning one.
  20. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Generally they don't slobber any more than most soft mouthed breeds, mostly when exersiced, and if food is around, then they can drool for England :lol: but on the whole I don't put them in the same class as real slobbery breeds.