What is a 'Pitbull' ? Discussions

Discussion in 'American Pit Bull Terrier' started by teenytiny, Jan 7, 2007.

1. sammymax

sammymax New Member

Name:
    Sammy
    Max looks lovely :) Just like my previous, rather large, Staffie in fact.

The Dogs Trust says this:

"Problems of Identification

Since the APBT is not recognised by the Government or the UK Kennel Club as a pure breed, the definition of a 'type known as a pit bull terrier' had to be legally designated. The Queen’s Bench Divisional Court decided in July 1993 that:

‘They could properly conclude that a dog was of the type known as the pit bull terrier if its characteristics substantially conformed to the American Dog Breeders Association’s standard.’

The standards for the APBT are however, extremely vague by UK pure breed standards. This means that many dogs, regardless of parentage could be considered a ‘pit bull type’. Hundreds of crossbred dogs and their owners have suffered as a result of this definition. It is even more difficult for owners to fight these cases because the burden of proof lies with the defence. The owner has to prove to the court that the dog is not a ‘pit bull type’ rather than the police having to prove that it is.

From 1992 to 1997, at least 770 destruction orders were made against dogs under this Act. There were thirteen dogs that had exhausted all legal process while awaiting destruction and seven dogs in limbo, as there were no legal proceedings against them but the police refused to return them to their owners. Dogs held in limbo may be kept by the police indefinitely, at a cost to the British taxpayer of £23,000 per year.

When a dog is suspected to be illegal, the police seize it and take it to a secret location. It is almost impossible for the owner to visit the dog and welfare reports on the dogs in police care are rarely forthcoming. In 1997, the average length of incarceration for a dog in these cases was two years and four months. The longest period for any dog being held was over seven years.

Dogs Trust worked to change this legislation and also cared for registered ‘pit bull terriers’ at our Rehoming Centres for the rest of their lives, since they cannot be legally rehomed."

The whole article here is worth a read.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Sammymax, that is interesting :?

Ragga, Max looks gorgeous, all jokes aside, my Georgie looks like him (only completely different colour:roll: )

Admittedly, I am slightly worried now about Georgie looking like a PBT even though I know he's completely not :neutral:
  4. danimal

danimal New Member

Name:
    dan
    have u got his papers etc? that way it wont matter as you will be able to prove otherwise
  5. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    hes very handsome ragga, shame he had to where a muzzle
  6. alexandra

alexandra New Member

Name:
    Alex
    he was a beauty shame about the muzzle, i bet he was a softy!
  7. whitefang1983

whitefang1983 New Member

Name:
    zoie
    i have too ab will there b at risk of this too by the pics we have posted my big boy has a very big head and look alot like a pit which he is not but i can prove what he is cos i dont kknow who is parents r what do i do if there come to my house i daont want to lose my boys
  8. mypoppit

mypoppit New Member

Name:
    Vicki
    Max is just gorgeous!! i bet he was the softest dog ever and didnt need to wear a muzzle, people brand a certain breed or breed type and it is wrong. i have an english bulldog cross staff, i get stopped all the time to ask if he has pitbull in him, he hasnt, or people see him, get there dogs back on the lead and cross over. it is horrible, i know some smaller dogs who are worse and do bite, but because its not a 'pitbul' type its ok.??!
  9. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    pitt bull is not a bull breed...the word bull is from what they were bred to do...butchers would use the dog to get a bull to comply..off to the sluater house ...am staff is a terrior...blood lines were crossed and the distinction was lost also...pit bulls are terriors,the word bull gets lost in its true meaning....
  10. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    this is BO an amstaff
    [​IMG]
  11. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    pit bulls are ancestors of an ancient dog ...molossian breeds which later became to be known as mastiff breeds....
  12. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    so are all bullbreeds