What is a purebreed? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by kinzy123, Mar 27, 2008.

1. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john

What is a purebreed?

Having read some posts on the post below cane corso cross i,m not sure half the people replying to posts actually know??? remember not all purebreeds are KC registered? be interesting to see some answers, what is a cross breed, what is a mongrel?
    cheers kinzy
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    No of course they are not it is up to the breeder if they register their dogs or not. Don't really understand what you are asking what has the KC got to do with the breeding of dogs pure bred or otherwise. All dogs can be registered with the KC even mongrels they are just registered in a different way.
  4. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    KC was mentioned for what i have read a lot of people seem to think if there not on KC breed list(registered or not)they are not purebreeds. you mention mongrel can you define?just interested
  5. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    in my eyes purebreed means something liek a german shepherd.

a cross breed is two pure breeds crossed together, example, border collie cross german shepherd.

and a mongrel id say is more than 2 breeds for example, german shepherd CROSSED border collie CROSSED dobermann CROSSED Staffy!!
  6. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    so... if more than 2 breeds there mongrels?
    what if these mongrels are bred together for so long that they breed to type what are they then?
    cheers kinzy
  7. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    A designer breed?
  8. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    aren,t all breeds designer breeds then just from differ time periods?
  9. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    If the mongrels were bred with a plan from the start to create a breed of dog for a specific purpose then the would become a breed if they were bred to type IMO
    A designer breed to me is breeding for looks alone with no real intentions of going past a first generation cross.
  10. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    A pure breed is one that has already established a type and is reasonably instantly recognisable by people as a breed.
    A cross breed is a cross between two different purebreeds
    A Mongrel is one of multi crosses over however long a period of time
    A designer breed is one that is usually a first cross and being incorrectly passed off as a breed.
    A new breed is one where people have worked hard with a specific goal in mind to establish a new type that is distinguishable from other breeds but this is a 20+ year project and I wouldn't expect anyone to call it a breed until it really does breed true but more a work in progress!
    A non-recognised breed is one that has become established but not recognised by the KC or any other major dog registry.
    Becky
  11. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Couldnt have said it better :mrgreen:

Kinzy, hope that answers your question.
  12. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    nice answer Mahooli the only thing i would change being the designer breed as these first crosses of purebreeds are now being bred back to each other, which in turn years down the line they could become breeds in there own rights.
    When i got into the victorian bulldogs in my eyes they were a work in progress, now however i see them as a breed,program spanning back to early 80,s. Just popped question on board to see others thoughts, in my eyes your hit it nearly spot on, reading post below was very evident in my eyes a lot of people were educting others without knowing themselves.
    cheers kinzy
  13. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Not sure which 'post below' you are referring to !! but yes a breed in progress is a breed which does not yet have a reliable standard to type, traits, temperament etc. When they do, they become a Unrecognised Breed, until the KC decide to accept all the records etc, do their own checks and begin to accept them.
  14. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    If the people are attempting to create a new breed then that is a breed in progress and should be advertised as such but until that happens they will be designer breeds. By far the vast majority of first crosses are not done with any intention in mind other than crossing two different breeds together and selling the pups.
    Becky
  15. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    nice answer Mahooli the only thing i would change being the designer breed as these first crosses of purebreeds are now being bred back to each other,

Which ones would they be ??

Hi malady the ones i am referring to are these labradoodle dogs, dont know anything about them but know there breeding back to each other in certain programs

which in turn years down the line they could become breeds in there own rights.

and in years down the line, they will be renamed, but until they remain as they are !! You cannot create a breed overnight by breeding 2 crosses back to eachother !!

Why would they be renamed?dont think so!!! being involved in the victorian bulldog i do know breeds aren,t created overnight?

Not sure which 'post below' you are referring to !! but yes a breed in progress is a breed which does not yet have a reliable standard to type, traits, temperament etc. When they do, they become a Unrecognised Breed, until the KC decide to accept all the records etc, do their own checks and begin to accept them.

The post below i am referring to is a newbie asking about corso x presa. Lost me on next bit?The victorian bulldog has had a stndard for over 10 years now but i still would have said back then a breed in progress,IMO it becomes a breed when breeding to type through a few generations????The Victorian Bulldog will always be a unrecognised breed for 2 main reasons,one is it will never be accepted by some KC Bulldog breeders and more importantly VB enthusiasts dont want KC recognition, we have our own club,registry,shows why would we need the KC. Now food for thought after pressure from the EU the KC changed the standard of the bulldog for tbetter imo.If you cross a KC Bulldog with a VB what do you have? you have a dog that fits the new standard better than some original KC Bulldogs.
    food for thought
  16. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    I totally agree Becky but we both know this will never happen.
  17. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    I don't know what a Victorian Bulldog comprises of : what breeds were used to create it ?

As for the crossbreeds fitting any standard better, that is debatable, as no two puppies from any mating of crosses will ever produce the same !
  18. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    Hi Malady
    the dogs used in the make up of the Victorian Bulldog were mainly KC bulldog with influx of SBT, BM and some DDB,pic below of my male dog.Main reason for breed was health, more athletic but keeping the good old bulldog temp.
    [​IMG]
  19. kinzy123

kinzy123 New Member

Name:
    john
    Would suprise you how alike the VB and KC can be head wise, differ being more length of leg on the VB, with new standard stating not as low slung breedings of the dogs would fit standard. Lets just say it would be a quick way to produce new standard for breeders??? And some breeders already know this:roll:
  20. donkey

donkey New Member

Name:
    ricky
    what a beautiful dog, are VB more healthy than KC bulldogs

IMO i think pure bred means a breed bred same to same with proof of pedigree, over many generations, nothing to do with KC as their were breeds of dog before kennel club

first cross - a cross between 2 pure bred dogs, eg bc x gsd or labradoodle

cross breed - a cross between more than 2 pure bred dogs, eg the bc x gsd then crossed with a lab x springer

mongrel - cross with unknown breeds
  21. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    Ah but you see what you called a first cross you then go and give it a 'name' there is no such breed as a labradoodle, they are poodle x labs, until such time as they have established type and a standard and are only bred to each other then they are simply crosses.
    Becky