What would be an ideal 2nd dog? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by slakey, Apr 28, 2009.

1. slakey

slakey New Member

Name:
    Shaun

What would be an ideal 2nd dog?

Well I've taken the test on the Eukanuba site, the results came up as:

Most Ideal: Rottweiler and Labrador
    Other Close Breeds: Bullmastiff, Belgian Mallinois, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Boxer, Belgian Shepherd Dog.

Now ever since I was born, the family has owned a Golden Labrador, 5 Boxes and now we have Zeus :)

I'm very much into my big dogs. I did really like the English Bullmastiff, but have recently been put of by them, unsure why. So I've been looking at GSD's, St Bernard, Dalmation and Great Danes.

House size, we have a 4 bed detached house, and a decent sized garden *enough for the 4 boxes we had to run around freely*

The dog ofcourse will stay indoor at night time. Be left for roughly 8hours a day, depending on who's working when but it'll be max 7hours.

I do have another dog ofcourse, Zeus a cross-breed, but I can't see any problems with him and another dog in the family, as he grew up with a Russell x Terrier.

I've looked at the profiles of the dogs on this site, but I'm still stuck as to which to choose :(

Grooming, will be good if it had low-medium grooming needs. So that crosses off the GSD's and St's unless I shave them.

So really between Great Dane and Dalmation, discuss there positives and negatives.

As I like both types, well all 4, but so far it's going the Great Dane's side, due to it's size :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I just did it, putting in the qualities my rotties have and so on and guess what it came up with....:?

:? Ariege Pointing Dog
    Canary warren hound
    australian kelpie
    hamilton hound
    schiller hound.

??????????????:shock:
  4. slakey

slakey New Member

Name:
    Shaun
    Lol it may be abit off target heheh. But I like the Lab idea :D
  5. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Those sites are a bit mental :lol: My ideal dog is a Dobermann, no contest and yet it never ever suggests I get one:roll:

apparently I should consider
    Brittany spaniel
    coonhound
    Basenji
    Wirehaired pointing griffon
    Afghan hound.

I said I don't do grooming :shock:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    Ooh just done the test...i am most suited to a German spaniel or a GSP! Not bad !

sorry maybe you should turn this thread into the dog test thread!

When choosing a dog i say go with your gut feeling :)
  7. oldshep52

oldshep52 New Member

Name:
    Dudley
    Ideal 2nd dog? same as the first, third, fourth, fifth... A Border Collie! :)
  8. HannahCB

HannahCB New Member

Name:
    Hannah
    If you where to get a St Bernard you would be better getting a smooth coat much easier work than the rough coat if you arnt so into the grooming
  9. slakey

slakey New Member

Name:
    Shaun
    Yeah I've seen some pics of the smooth coat, they look so nice. But I'm also not a fan of drool.
  10. Nicedog

Nicedog New Member

Name:
    nicedog
    But you do really know there is no choice, don't you?

Not sure if I have to point to you, but as it happens I'll do it anyroad..
    It spells R O T T I E
  11. Nicedog

Nicedog New Member

Name:
    nicedog
    Whoops - so sorry "point it out to you" it was
  12. Lene

Lene New Member

Name:
    Lene
    I am also a large dog person... I have a great dane X... He's full on! as most Danes are at 10 months old... I know within the next couple of years, he'll settle down, and I will then recommend a GD... because I will have forgotten all the problems...

All my life I have had large dogs, but most of them have been rescues...
  13. Cassius

Cassius New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Hi,

I'm a big dog person also. I have 2 GSDs (standard coat so average grooming) and a GSD/Alita (excessive grooming required 'cos she's just blown her coat so fluff and grey hair everywhere).

If you like big dogs and have the space for them then unless there is a good reason NOT to have a specific breed, then I think maybe an open mind may lead you to a dog you may not have considered before.

Also, if you're out during the day, would you consider an older dog who may not need the same amount of exercise and attention as a younger, full on, completely yampy puppy (like my Yiannis)?

Check out the rescues (breed rescues too) and see what's available. Ask to meet some of the dogs to see how they react around you and if you have kids, take them with you.

Good luck with your search, whatever breed you decide on. And whenyou ahve your new dog, please post lots of piccies.

Laura xx
  14. slakey

slakey New Member

Name:
    Shaun
    Well I still need to persuade my dad first. But my mum might be starting a dog kennel, for people that are going on holiday. So she said then, I'd be able to have another dog, and I would have to live on the site. She said any dog too :p

But if possible, I'd really like to try my best to persuade my dad. If the sister moves out I may try then and say it's to make up the family numbers :p
  15. slakey

slakey New Member

Name:
    Shaun
    I've found another breed of dog I like, the Anatolian Shepherd.
    May be hard to find in the UK though :(
  16. slakey

slakey New Member

Name:
    Shaun
    Well my dad has agreed to let me have a Old English Mastiff, got loads of books out on Dogs. And have just read that OEM's should only be for the experienced dog keepers not only for it's size but for other reasons it didn't list.

So if any OEM's owners could help me out with what these dogs are like, I'd really appreciate it.
  17. Suejaw

Suejaw New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Can't help you on the OEM.

But just wanted to say that i have done the same quiz and its come up with breeds i've never heard of and not anywhere near the type of dogs i like.:021:

So here is my list
    Coarse-haired Styrian Hound
    Gascon Saintongeois Hound :shock:
    Mallorcan Bulldog :-(
    Anglo French Hound
    Spanish Hound.

Not checked on these but are they dogs recognised by the FCI?
    Sorry but hounds aren't really my thing i'm afraid, not for me to have as my own.

Breeds from the working group suit me just fine..;-)
  18. daneman

daneman New Member

Name:
    mick
    Hi, there great danes are a fantastic breed should get on well with the other dogs the only down side is they love human company and 7 hours is a long time for them to be
    without human company.
    I know the dane rescues dont like rehoming dogs if you are
    working all day.
    hope i havent put you off.
    regards mick.