What's the easiest breed? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Moon's Mum, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Nattietwoie

Nattietwoie New Member

Name:
    Nathan
    My Lab is really lazy not sure about others lol
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. marleysmum

marleysmum New Member

Name:
    Marleysmum
    my lab is driving me round the bend at the moment so i defo dont think labs are easy! hes 11 months old and behaving like a very stroppy teenager and he gets alot of training/exercise, that said though he is absolutly brilliant as a family dog hes great with the kids, cats, and rabbits, hes easy to train so long as thats part of his agenda that day lol! hes great, id have another lab there quirky and amusing. my greyhound x has been very easy, and the wolfhound x i had was very easy also. :)
  4. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    Mine's about as lazy as your average tornado.
  5. polly7

polly7 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    prey drive is not always an issue as it depends on the dog but getting one from a puppy will not stop the prey drive if it's inherent.
    there are various types of greyhound which have evolved over tens of centuries and this is how they were bred to be of use for the hunting (for food) many centuries ago. some had high prey drive and they were the hunters, some had low prey drive and would chase only so they would be used for flushing out and some were hopeless and disinterested in either and they were used as bed warmers and guarding children when the master was out (one was made into a saint - another story). I have owned all 3 types and the difference is very marked but in all other ways they are the same.
    spot on exept for the health, sadly because of racing injuries and bad housing & diet they can be prone to differing illnesses but their amazing gentle nature more than makes up for any problems I may face with them in that respect.
    aas far as experience needed I would say they are suitable for a novice provided they have come from a good rescue who has assessed both the dog & the potential owner as they are different from other breeds in many ways and a novice would need some grounding on a few things. Nothing that couldn't be easily obtained with the back up of the rescue or experienced sighthound members on a forum.

lol! no, you're not doing anything wrong. Do you know that if a greyhound didn't lay about sleeping all day back in the days of hunting they would have been culled because they needed to conserve all their energy for the hunt. Guiness is just doing what he's been bred to do.

the main requirements for a greyhound are plenty of soft beds and a sofa.

After all that I can only say that there are certain dogs that will not be easy due to the immense stimulation their active brains need (greyhounds not being one of them!) and it all boils down, as previously stated, on what the person wants and their lifestyle.
  6. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate
    hi

we had male dogs at home when I was growing up a Corgi cross called Basil (cos he looked like Basil Brush) and a yellow lab/collie cross called Sam, both were great dogs and family companions but both 'keen' when out and towards other dogs. My dad did the training then.

At the time I thought they were difficult so when I got my own I chose a bitch thinking she be easier. I didn't have the internet then and it was a small local kennel she was only puppy (4 months old) and so cute..literally threw herself at me to get out of there!

Looking back I realise our family pets had been 'easier! ' the corgi in particular, (except for the time he chased the postboy over the wall and he was 13 then!).

But with Inca (my collie cross) she had dominance issues, she wanted to be boss she would try and round me up and herd me into the house, nipping at my back. If you tried to grab her collar to move her into another room (cos someone as at door and she wouldn't move) she'd snap at your hand and grab it in her mouth. She needed alot of behavioural training to undo whatever was done to her before. I ended up having to take her to an expert as her last chance before been returned cos she kept biting and was full size by this time with adult sharp teeth!

ironically after I developed mobility problems and had to start using a mobility scooter and wheelchair she changed alot I dont know if she realised I needed her to desperately, but she did.

She's a beautiful dog now I'm so glad I didn't give up on her cos she taught me loads and I'm sure my next dog will be much easier from my experience and research I have done since getting online.

Needless to say I wouldn't recommend a Border Collie or BC cross for a first time owner!.. but on the other hand I learnt so much from the experience and feel even though have less mobility now I will be more successful with the next dog from a much younger age and it won't take me as long to reach an higher level of obedience with it!