What's your favorite leash width to work with? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by wallsofmurine, Apr 21, 2020.

?

What's your favorite leash width to use?

1. 3/8"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1/2"

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. 5/8"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3/4"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 7/8"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wallsofmurine

wallsofmurine New Member

Name:
    murine

What's your favorite leash width to work with?

Does it matter what you're doing, do you prefer a different width for training than for a recreational walk? Why do you prefer the width you do with the material your leash is made out of?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    May I ask if you are selling leashes, because you appear to have joined a number of dog/pet forums in the last 24 hours posting the same question, your primary interest being GSDs.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My breed is a little smaller than a GSD but,
    1/4" x 42" for showing.I usually stick to nylon after a fairly new leather one snapped at an outdoor show.
    1/2" x 48" for exercising my trained dog, and controlled walking with more than one dog.
    1/2" x 5 metres for exercising my girl with a less than reliable recall. This is a lightweight rubberised line which can be can be shortened by half, or she can be allowed to trail it. It washes and dries easily.
  5. wallsofmurine

wallsofmurine New Member

Name:
    murine
    im buying leashes. want to know what everyone is using. but this thread isnt just for me.
  6. tundraman

tundraman New Member

Name:
    phil
    1/2" x 6 ft Bio thane for every day
    1/2" x 20 ft Bio Thane for dog sports such as sent work and trailing and locating
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    What breed(s) do you work @tundraman? I did consider Biothane for my girl's tracking/trailing line. There is no argument, it is easily rinsed after work, though it can get slippery in wet conditions. However, to me it feels less responsive, and doesn't coil neatly enough. Also, why can't they do them in black, brown or khaki? I quite like yellow and orange for whistles and retrieve objects, but not for my tracking line. My boy has an ex-army khaki webbing job, lovely to work with, but hell to clean in Winter. The girl has a Hungarian rubberised webbing one, super grip and easily rinsed. but it has to be the lightweight type, the one inch goes too stiff and heavy with age. I have a fine rope line, but that collects grass fibres in dry weather. Perhaps I'm just too picky.

Can you tell, I love talking about dog tack?
  8. tundraman

tundraman New Member

Name:
    phil
    I started scent work with a GSD then a Rottie now Malinois
    I use a black 20 foot line
    the 6 foot I have a blue, pink, and orange
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Oh that's interesting - I have only seen the yellow and the orange.
    Which type do you find handles the best - the round profile, or the flat? I imagine the round profile might be easiest to coil, but more slippery to handle in cold/wet conditions? Have you had any problems with the rivets?
    Sorry so many questions, but they are a considered purchase.
  10. tundraman

tundraman New Member

Name:
    phil
    CaroleC likes this.
    I get mine from https://www.palominelines.com/
    I was using the nylon web leashes in the past ever since I got my first bio thane line I wouldn't use any thing else I use the flat lines I did a urban locating trial in Feb and was raining I had no problems at all
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Thanks for that @tundraman
    I am in the UK but you have got me searching - and there are far more options than I was aware of. I think I will try a lightweight 5m one this Winter - it would be easier to keep clean and dry.