When to mate a shar pei ? Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by steph L.F.C, Jan 13, 2015.

1. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C

When to mate a shar pei ?

hi, does anyone know when to mate my shar pei, is it the beginning of her season in the middle or near the end, as ive never done this before, thanks steph ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. LMost

LMost Member

Name:
    LMost
    Azz likes this.
    How old and have to health tested?
    Also is she over 2 years old?
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Welcome to the forum from a fellow Shar-Pei owner. I'd love to hear more about her and photos are always appreciated! How old is your Shar-Pei and is she KC registered? .

As you no doubt know Shar-Pei due to bad breeding practices in the 70's/80's can have many inherited health problems such as FSF or HCH and dogs that have suffered from any of these diseases should never be used for breeding. Unfortunately, as you probably also know because of the complexity of these diseases there are as yet no reliable health tests and your only guide is to check the pedigree back for at least 5 generations My own Pei girl developed severe entropion at the age of 4 months and to prevent her passing it on to future generations I had her spayed. Had she been suitable for breeding I would have waited until she was at least 18 months old.

Sorry if I sound a little harsh, but Shar-Pei are a breed very dear to my heart and I only want the best for the breed ... they're such wonderful dogs!
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz, LMost and CaroleC like this.
    Answer to your question best time to mate any bitch is between 10 to 15 days into her season.
    But normally a bitch must of have minimum of 3 seasons & be no younger then 18 months old ideally 2years old.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome Steph, I take it that you have not bred a litter before. Pork1epe1 has given you some good advice. Please, do lots of research before deciding to go ahead breed from your bitch. I think that the breed club website is often a good place to start. Do you have anyone locally who could mentor you through the process of getting the appropriate health checks done, and choosing a suitable stud dog?
  7. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
    she hasn't been health checked but is fine apart from her ears because their so small I have to clean them every day an get her drops, she will be 2 in march, but she isn't due her third season till about march/april x
  8. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
    thanks carole, and no I have never bred a dog before, we had a staffy for 12yrs but I never bred her, so this is all new to me, and I will do and I do have a friend who bred her pei a few years ago now, and ive just been looking on pets for homes at the stud dogs recently thanks x
  9. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
    thanks for advice, and she is due her 3rd season in march/april, she will be 2 in march x
  10. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
  11. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
  12. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
  13. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
  14. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
    thanks for the advice, yes she is kc reg, she is 2 in march hun, not sure how to put pics up on here yet lol, but will put 1 up soon, to show her off because she is just so gorg with a very wrinkley face lol x
  15. steph L.F.C

steph L.F.C New Member

Name:
    steph L.F.C
    Karen87 and 6JRT's like this.
    Hi peeps, here is a photo of our miya with my son x 563883_10201682026960562_1409658625_n.jpg
  16. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Hi steph when I bred my JRT's Skye was 2 & K9 was 2 & 1/2 even though I owned both dogs I still had them vet checked as JRT's do suffer from knuckle knee, Cushing's Disease & tripping, both were given full blood test as well as X-Rays & Scans (I was always keeping any pups not selling them)

What you have to remember is that the overall cost of breeding will run into thousands, has you will be paying for all vet checks,(your dog plus stud dog) stud dog fee's {some stud dog owners also want to have pick of litter} scans, pre mating flea/worming, bitch & pups flea/worming treatments, puppy gruel, special bitch food, birthing box, plus cleaning stuff it gets very messy once they start giving birth, the list goes on, in total it cost me nearly £3,000 but I was well aware of this has my vet help me by putting together an outline of the cost, please be aware that you need to have emergency money if problems occur during birthing (caesarean) or you can do what I did & paid vets up front for caesarean, but as she didn't need an caesarean the money I prepaid to the vets went on aftercare treatment for both Skye & her pups which was Skye's after birth check up, pups check ups, flea/worming microchips & Skye's spaying once pups fully weaned off her (pups were 14 weeks old when Skye was spayed & K9 neutered)

Its lovely having the puppies but please make sure you really want to bred & talk to your vets to find out what they think & of course the KC ask them for list of KC registered breeders who have stud dogs (am guessing your dog is KC registered) this will help ensure you have healthy puppies.

Skye taking her pups back after vet had checked them over
    DSCF1277.JPG
  17. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    The breeding of any bitch should not be taken lightly, and before you think any further about breeding your bitch, you should have all relevant health tests done for that breed, same applies to the stud dog, ask her breeder about the medical history of the parents, grandparents and great grandparents the only reason you should be breeding is that you honestly feel that you are improving your breed by doing so. There are far too many dogs are being bred for wrong reasons.
    There is also range of costs to take into account if things go wrong, that can run into thousands of pounds.
    Quote and ive just been looking on pets for homes at the stud dogs recently thanks x
    You will not find a reputable breeder advertising their stud dogs on that site.
  18. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I've had a look at The Shar Pei Club of Great Britain website, and I am sure you would find it very informative. I thought that it was excellent and very comprehensive. Health issues are highlighted, and there is even a facsimile Health Certificate which illustrates exactly where there are areas of concern. There is also a list of 'Shar Pei friendly' vets, and 'Breeders of Merit'. I'm sure that someone there would be pleased to help you, and examine your girl's pedigree in order to suggest suitable stud dogs for her.
    Another possibility would be to visit Crufts at the NEC, see the current dogs for yourself, and talk to some of the exhibitors. There is always a Discover Dogs section, where The Shar Pei Club will have a stand - purely to answer queries from visitors.
    Your (Utility group) day would be on Sunday 8th. March.
  19. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    pugluva, Malka and 6JRT's like this.
  20. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Would also like to say that most registered pedigree breeders, give free puppy pack which normally contains toy, blanket with mums scent on, collar/lead, bowls, 2 weeks supply of food, booklet about the breed, contact number so new owners can ask for advice plus 4-8 weeks insurance, also prepaid voucher for pup to be microchipped (toy/small breeds) medium/large/giant breeds normally chipped by breeders vet which contains breeders details & who pup new owners are.
  21. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    @Azz What a super article that is. Such clear thinking and so well expressed.