Which breed for me? Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by rob55, Dec 27, 2012.

1. rob55

rob55

Name:
    Rob

Which breed for me?

I'm looking into a new puppy. I currently have a mixed breed rescue dog that I've had for 6 months. I was told she's a ACD dalmation mix. I'm not quite sure about that but I know that she embodies what im looking for in the new pup with one exception (shes extremely timid, I assume this is due to the shelter and neglect earlier in life.) Zelda (my current dog) has high toy and food drive. From what I've seen she excels when given a job, for her this is fetching the newspaper and putting her toys away. We do a 2 mile jog in the morning, a trip to the park for fetch before I leave for work, and a walk when I get home. On my days off we generally go for a longer hike or swim. Zelda also gets daily obedience training sessions.

I'm looking for a dog this would be enough for. This seems to keep Zelda calm and collected. From my reading and personal experience, I think im looking for a herding dog. A little further research has narrowed it down to a few breeds. I'm currently looking into Aussies, English shepards, ACD's, Koolies (although it seems there are no decent breeders in the US), catahoulas, and old english shepards. If anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction as far as further research and such that would be great!

Please know that I realize a puppy will have to mature before running two miles or being otherwise over exerted. Thanks in advance.:p
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. silhouette

silhouette

Name:
    Alex
    As I don't know much about those particular breeds I can't offer much advice on specifics.
    Most breeds will have dedicated clubs, societies etc if it was me I'd start by contacting them. They will have members who are breeders and possibly a breed rescue. They will be able to provide information on health, health testing if applicable for breeding dogs, temperament etc.

Good luck.