Which breed/type do you think might get next Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Alphatest, Nov 25, 2012.

1. CharleyMaddison

CharleyMaddison New Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Australian Cattle Dog????:017:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    Sorry yes ..lol
  4. CharleyMaddison

Name:
    Kirsty
    You need one of our lovely GSD's from GSDR:grin:
  5. CharleyMaddison

Name:
    Kirsty
    very nice :grin:
  6. dog_geek

dog_geek New Member

I do plan having another dog with Ace. I really really love Border Collies, they are the perfect breed for me but I would like to own a different breed.

My wish list at the moment is blue staffy, fawn pug, blue merle shetland sheepdog, rottie, Malinois, whippet or even a cross.

I have a year or so to decide, with that list I think I will need it! :lol:
  7. coventrycatfish

coventrycatfish New Member

Name:
    Bek
    This is my current dilemma and is why it is taking us so long to get our second dog.

I would really, really like a Border Collie as I'm interested in doing obedience and maybe agility (when my back allows). I love Greyhounds, but obedience is not their strong point and I have found it quite difficult to train Guinness. He just doesn't seem to find it fun. :-(

However, being totally honest with myself, I feel we can’t provide the kind of home that a BC needs for the foreseeable future. I have a problem with my spine and other on-going health issues, some days I am unable to leave the house because of these. Jon is generally quite happy to walk Guinness, but as many of you know, Jon has his own issues and there are days when he totally refuses to go outside because he just cannot cope with people. Guinness is quite happy to miss the odd day of walks and mooch into the garden when he needs to if we are both housebound for the day, but I worry that a BC would not (unless it were an older dog, but that would mean no chance of agility in the future).

I decided a Papillon would be my compromise breed. Initially Jon was not keen on this idea as he regarded small dogs as “little yappers” rather than proper dogs. (I have no idea why this was an issue since he grew up with his mother's Schipperkes, they might be small but they are all dog). I’ve pretty much convinced him now, but having looked around, it seems you don't find many Papillons in rescue, and also small "cute" dogs are snapped up much faster than larger ones.

Now I have to square finding a good breeder with my conscience, as I would prefer to rescue and feel bad about thinking of buying a pup when there are dogs needing homes. I strongly suspect I will never get my Papillon, because some other dog is bound to catch my attention whilst I’m browsing rescue pages looking for Papillons. :blush:
  8. marianne38

marianne38 New Member

Name:
    marianne morris
    Have to say, it will be another Toller. Easy to train, they can turn there hand to anything, gundog work, working trials, agility,some are even assistant dogs. Lively but with an off switch. And very smart :lol:
  9. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I currently have three GSDs and one BC.

The next dog is an easy answer for me - another working line (sable) German Shepherd. This is the type and breed I can see myself with now for the foreseeable future.

Why? Simply the fact that I am now totally converted to the working lines. I may be spoiled with Zak, but he is everything I ever wanted in a GSD. He is extremely handsome, athletic, energetic, intelligent, he has strong nerves, a stable temperament and he is my "go with me everywhere" sort of a dog. We are really enjoying training for working trials too, and he has the natural ability and focus required for such training.

I could possibly be tempted by a Malinois ... but I doubt it :-D
  10. jeagibear

jeagibear Member

Name:
    bryan
    Please stay a German Shepherd Dog owner!!
    Zak is around forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No contest!:007: :007:
  11. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Dunno. There are a lot of breeds I like but it will depend on my situation at the time.

Assuming I was in the position of getting one right now (I am not and have no intention of it!) I would probably go for a Wire Viszla, GWP or Weim. If I wanted something easier I would go for a working bred Lab. I am quite drawn to a lot of terrier breeds too....
  12. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Just another Lab mix, possibly Lab crossed American pit bull. It's the same as my Brownie, and he's my buddy. He's also 25% Chow but I can do without that. Labs are easy to train and intelligent and American pit bulls are so loving and loyal. Healthy too! I don't support breeders so I'll adopt no matter what type of dog I get.
  13. TBBS

TBBS New Member

Name:
    Debbie
    Border Collie!
  14. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I wouldn't recognise you with a Springer!!
  15. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    My next smallie will be a Boston Terrier, next biggie a GSD
  16. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Looks like its going to be a Bull Terrier for me, not decided between a standard or miniature yet though :) Then I want a couple of rescue dogs, hopefully a greyhound and a staffy type (or cross) :lol: got my work cut out! :shock:
  17. scorpio

scorpio Member

Name:
    Sheree
    I'm getting my next dog next week...another English Setter of course :grin:

I would like another one after that, then a Gordon Setter and an Irish Setter. I would also like another Pointer and would also like either a German wirehaired pointer or a long haired pointer...don't think I will be able to have all of those though. :-(
  18. kammi_sparky123

kammi_sparky123 New Member

Name:
    Boxer!

I just love them and really want to own one :)
  19. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    A Whippet.
  20. Lizzy23

Lizzy23 New Member

Name:
    Liz
    when this lot go to the bridge the plan is to go down to 3, 2 springers that we will work during the shooting season and do Flyball with in the summer, and an out and out flyball dog which will be a little staffy girl, mainly because there are so many in rescue and they actually do really well at Flyball
  21. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I have grown up with collies, currently own 2 and also 'know' alot of collies via friends, acquaintances, training etc. I do like border collies but they have many behaviours which do not appeal to me and these behaviours can manifest themselves in ways I would not want to deal with. There are so many in rescue exactly because of these behaviours! I currently have a rescue collie and would like to think i'd always make room for a rescue of this breed but other breeds from a pup would be my priority.
    For me, the Aussie looks very much like a BC but perhaps not quite so crazy and a bit better looking IMO!

Having said all that, in comparison to my gundog, my collies are a breeze! Both are well mannered, dont have any herding or nipping habits and are very 'steady'. My HPR on the other hand is a total nutter, completely lacks manners and self control, lives life at 100mph and just wants to 'do, do, do'!
    My GWP and female collie are very well matched, she can keep up with him all day long and both like the same things (toys, swimming etc) but my male collie has trouble keeping up with me let alone the other 2 dogs! Lets just say he isnt typical of the breed!

I can honestly say i'm just not 'into' BC's although I feel they are a breed which are suffering through being in the wrong homes and it's that which makes me feel an affinity with them, and because they are a breed I know most about.