Which breeds can 'look after themselves' Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Azz, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz

Which breeds can 'look after themselves'

I don't mean brush their teeth and groom themselves :lol:

But breeds that you would feel comfortable leaving at home without worrying too much about them getting stolen.

When Rocky was a pup, I worried about this ALL the time. But when he got to about 7 months I stopped worrying, as his territorial instinct kicked in and I doubt he would have been easy to nick.

So, which other breeds fit this criteria?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Azz likes this.
    I don't worry about any of mine getting nicked. I take all usual precautions, close windows or leave them on the catch locked, deadlock doors, secure fences with locked side gate and the house is alarmed.
  4. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Azz likes this.
    I never worry about leaving my two alone in the house. The main reason I decided to have another Shar-Pei was because from personal experience I know they're excellent guard dogs, although Georgina at 8 months old is only just beginning to show that trait .

Chloe and M'boi (my previous Pei) were about a year old, when one night Chloe woke me up by barking and leaping off the bed. She ran into the living room where M'boi was sleeping to wake her up, then rushed to the front door where she stood growling and barking. In the meantime M'boi patrolled every room checking all the windows, growling all the time. She then came to see if I was OK and satisfied she started to patrol again. This went on for a good half hour until both dogs decided the danger was past. They then came into my bedroom and Chloe sat on the end of the bed, quiet but still alert. M'boi sat watching the bedroom window until she was happy no one was going to break in. The following morning I learnt that during the night, three houses in the village had been burgled.

It's SO reassuring to know you've got dogs that will protect you.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    It's not something I have ever worried about with these three.

But when I first got my late lurcher, I was advised by a lurcher rescue organization never to leave her tied up outside a shop and if anyone starting asking questions about her I should say she had an injury and couldn't work. She was a very striking looking dog - probably part deerhound - and on one occasion I did feel uneasy about the interest a man was taking in her and the questions he was asking. So although I was actually on my way home, I went off in a different direction in case he followed me!
  6. Carole

Carole Global Moderator

Name:
    Carole
    Azz likes this.
    I know Star would have been able to look after herself and if anyone had tried to steal her she would have put up a fight. Finn on the other hand is the biggest wimp out and would probably hide if faced with trouble.
  7. Jen

Jen New Member

Name:
    Jen
    Azz likes this.
    I know from experience Malcolm wouldn't take kindly to strangers entering the house. He is a bit off if my Dad lets himself in and when I asked one of the staff members, who he knows very well, to let him out one lunchtime it took him a good couple of minutes to let her in the living room. He has also, in the past, taken to guarding people in to chairs, he will let them in if I greet them, he'll even climb all over them for cuddles but the minute I leave the room they are not allowed to move out of the item of furniture they are sat in. He comes across as a confident dog but a lot of his confidence comes from my presence and when I am not around he resorts to old habits to make himself feel safe.

Bandit would let anyone in and Layla would disappear the minute she saw a gap in the door so although they might see her I doubt they would catch her. Scooby is never left at home since he'll wreck it but he does get left in the car, I do not worry about someone stealing him, if they want to risk their fingers trying they are welcome to.

It's not something I have ever really worried about if I'm being completely honest, it helps that I don't currently have specific breeds although I have had a few people asking questions about Malcolm but the minute I say he is neutered they aren't interested. Layla isn't what people expect to see when they envisage a collie either so although she is showing promise as a good worker she doesn't really appeal to thieves.
  8. Bonni

Bonni Member

Name:
    Bonni
    Azz likes this.
    Flock guardians, Mastiffs, GSDs, Black Russian Terriers, Welsh Terriers, .. any of the guarding breeds?
  9. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Thanks for the posts everyone.

I am huge worrier about things like that - I used to hate leaving Rocky by himself when he was a pup :roll: :lol: I think I would just feel more at ease knowing the dog had less chance of being easily taken.
  10. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Azz and Jen like this.
    I think in some instances it is down to individual dogs and not just breeds.
    Chloe does not like strangers and will only be picked up on suffrance by anyone me include. I think she would be very difficult to steal :).
  11. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Meg and Azz like this.
    Someone tried to pinch Rio when she was a pup, she's a Dobermann and we were walking through the woods and some bloke grabbed her collar and tried to attach a lead to her. I yelled at him and kicked him hard with my trusty walking boots just as Syd and the OH came round the corner through the trees. Syd and the OH gave chase but he got away, probably just as well really. So it's not just at home you need to worry about.
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Azz likes this.
    What a terrifying experience! Thank goodness the attempt failed.
  13. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Yeah you have to be very careful, there are some real chancers out there.

I think I would go mental if someone tried to nick my dog!
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    Azz likes this.
    I've never worried about my two getting stolen, either at home or out and about. However, I think MOST dogs while putting up a good front could be bribed to leave with someone. For example, my Missy would put up a hell of a noise if someone broke in. She's a terrier after all ;) but she loves people and could very easily be tempted to follow someone else. My other dog while extremely aloof and would be harder to persuade could still be forced to leave the house etc if someone was truly determined. He doesn't bark when people knock at the door or enter the house, he's disinterested, and has not one ounce of guarding instinct about him. But he's not aggressive so would not put up a fight. I mean, a person entering to most dogs is no different then any other guest. I guess it would depend on whether the dog felt more threatened without you the owner around, or not.
  15. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    Azz likes this.
    Leo would put up a fight and it would not be easy for anyone to catch him or hold on to him. Plus he does not take food from strangers which is something I am trying to teach the others. Bailie would get terrified and try to fight but probably not be successful. Desty would held the burgles rob the place and than leave with them willingly for a piece of food... well untill she relized I wasn´t there. Then she would whine like crazy.
    My bc/lab mix would have eaten anyone that tried to break in. She had a some issues and showed on more than one occasion that she meant buisness. If there were treats involved she would have saved them for dessert.
    I have had a husky that would have done the same but at the same time I had a lab/rotter mix that would have helped them rob the place and than left with them.
    I would say it was maybe a mix of breed and personality if they would defend themselves rather than only breed.
  16. suey

suey New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Azz likes this.
    Lexi hardly ever barks, she loves everyone and like has been said before would help a burglar out with the stuff and she would go with anyone especially if they had a child with them... We did lose her briefly when she was about 6 months old our daughter took her for a walk she was off lead and took chase after a cat our daughter couldn't find her and came home in bits funnily enough I didn't panic which is unusual for me the only thing I was worried about at the time though being walked well away from roads was that she had not got near one as her road sense was nil at the time we went out looking and got a phone call that she was playing in a back garden with the owners little girl she was oblivious to all the fuss she had caused...
  17. wildmoor

wildmoor Member

Name:
    Pam
    Azz likes this.
    My GSD would let people in providing they came through the front door with a Key including workmen, Poly on the other hand would not unless she knew them extremely well although the same breed as Hany they are like chalk & cheese Poly comes from a long line of working dogs and can be very defensive if threatened, doesnt like drunks doesnt like people in her personal space unless she goes to them, she is territorial in the garden kills any wildlife that comes in birds, rats mice etc. she patrols the perimeter every time she goes out constantly on guard, whereas Hany was bred for sport agility etc totally laid back will except anything.
  18. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Azz likes this.
    Phoebe would offer no help if somebody broke in untill they touched me or tried to touch me. If somebody broke in with the intention of taking her then she would think it was a nice person taking her for a walk and happily leave with them. I know this for a fact as my landlord comes when im out and she never bothers with him and he brings a string of tradesmen with him, the dog walker had to send her friend once in an emergency who phoebe had never met and she didnt bother atall. If somebody stole her i would be the problem not her. if people show to much interest in her i make a point of telling them she is spayed, old and ill in the hope this would put them off
  19. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    Azz likes this.
    that happned to us when phoebe was around a year old, i ran in the other direction shouting tea time and she nearly ripped his arm out the socket. he gave up, i got a free lead!