Why did you have a dog Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Nov 29, 2014.

?

What reasons do you have your dog

1. Company for yourself /someone to talk to

85.7%
  2. Company to another dog when your out

28.6%
  3. To show

14.3%
  4. To breed with

14.3%
  5. For protection

21.4%
  6. To help you with living a normal life

57.1%
  7. To make you look tough (yes quite few put this answer down)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Fashion accessory (yes 75 people actually put this answer down)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.

Why did you have a dog

This question was put up in another forum that I am a member of, some of the answers were not what I expected.
    You may choose more then one answer.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    My reasons were as followed
    1- to help me live a normal life (K9)
    2- to show
    3-Company for me
    4- Skye bought for company for K9
    5- to breed (just the once & ended up with 4 hooligans)

I could not believe some of the answers that was put up on the other forum - tough was for imagine guys that had muscles so they own Muscle dogs, the fashion accessory was females wanting "handbag dogs" (Paris Hilton as lot to answer for).

Am I wrong in wanting a dog for more then just to look good with or to have as a accessory ? To me they are company someone that I can talk too (one day they going tell me to shut up) they are someone that takes up all the sofa & bed are always happy to see me.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka and 6JRT's like this.
    All of the first four options. My first rescue WSD was company for me, and then forObedience, then a Goldie for show - which inevitably led on to a string of companion/showdogs. When we retired it was back to the rescues - and Trials - but there's still a hankering to breed show again. If only I could turn this age thing back - just 10 years would do ................
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    6JRT's likes this.
    I never thought I would ever have a dog again when I emigrated from the UK - I was working and out of my home from 4.30am Sunday-Friday, not getting home until maybe 9pm Sunday-Thursday and 3pm Fridays - and then I had the accident which although meant I could no longer work, it also meant I could not have a dog.

But when I moved onto the Moshav I rescued a tiny feral kitten who was so young that she accepted me as her Mom - and she had four happy years with me until she wandered across the fields and crossed a main road to another Moshav once too often.

Anyhow, while she was still with me, and I had then moved, with her, to another bungalow on the Moshav, and before I got my first mobility scooter, I used to plod around 2.5km to the macolet - full heavy leg irons and on crutches, and a backpack to carry shopping, and I kept passing a house where they always seemed to have puppies, having two outside dogs [mother and daughter, both un-spayed] - and one day I made the mistake of crossing the little road to see the puppies.

And there she was. The other pups, mainly white [I think I know who sired them] were all playing and this little fluffy black and tan pup [same litter, same mother, but probably a different sire - double mating no doubt] was just sitting on the path.

So I picked her up, checked that she was a bitch [I have never owned a dog, only bitches] and they said "if you want it, take it". So I said I would pick her up on the way back from the macolet, all the time plodding back hoping someone would stop and give me a lift home...

...but nobody did, so I picked her up, stuck her in my pocket, and brought her home.

That was my Little One. Maybe 6 weeks old?

And then when she was not getting any younger I started thinking about another puppy as I could not bear the thought of not having a dog to share my life [and my bed!].

Pereg. Pereg came into my life, and very unexpectedly Little One left me just 11 months later.

Now? I know that Pereg will be the last dog to ever share my life, and the thought of never again having that "heartbeat by my feet" at night, is the most horrible knowledge ever.

Pereg, Pereg,
    Fatso Pereg
    So much work
    And so much worry

Pills for this
    And pills for that
    And life tied up

But I'm not sorry
    For I love my girl
    No ifs or buts

She is my life
    As I am hers
    And that is all
    That really
    Matters

I guess we both
    Are mad
    As
    Hatters
  6. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I voted 1 and 2. Georgina and Gwylim are company for me as well as being company for each other.

Also No 5 .. although not so much for protection (my two would probably lick a burglar to death) but living on my own having two dogs in the house gives me a sense of security.

And No 6 .. to help me live a normal life ... not in the way that K9 does for Tina ... but because having had dogs all my life, I wouldn't consider life normal without at least one dog!
  7. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    Malka likes this.
    Me? Why do I have a dog? TWO dogs...Even ten years ago I would have never seriously considered that I'd have anything more than a houseful of furry meat loaves. I dunno just the wish for someone who could do daily hiking with me that needed a home. I saw Sophie online and that was that.

For being a neurotic basket she has always had the stamina to be the perfect exercise partner...something wonderful when a leisurely walk can be over six miles. And she fills part of the empty nest of the house. Needy, clingy, now she's just content to be always beside me. When we first got her she literally wrapped herself around my feet.

Callie is just the love of my life. No one, human or animal has made me feel so perfectly safe. There was a deranged relative who broke in several years ago. Sophie stayed in hiding until long after the police left. Service people used to come in the front door. Sophie's chair is directly facing the door. Strangers knocking or coming in? She might open an eye and go back to sleep.

Walking outside she completely avoids people. Really if anyone comes too close she dashes behind me. People perceive it as well behaved, they don't see that she's scared witless. Callie on the other paw is fearless. I adopted him totally by chance. Someone to play with Sophie and keep her company the rare times when we were all out. They were great playmates from the first day they met.

I've had some problems with my boy being a tad overprotective of me. But we live in an area where there are daylight car-jackings, seniors mugged in the local parks, shootings in towns too close for comfort. There is security in having a dog who in the quiet of your bedroom will lay belly up, practically purring just laying on your shoulder. Who can adjust his play style for any size friend including cats. With women and children he is the waggiest, lickyest, most patient dog you could ever see.

But I know if he had to he would protect me or our house with his life. No one will ever come in our house again uninvited. No one would ever be insane enough to consider mugging me or stealing my car on Callie's watch. When my daughter is home alone I know Callie is with her keeping her safe.
    And that is why I have a dog.
  8. lovemybull

lovemybull Member

Name:
    Opheila
    I would also add that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I look at my boy I see sweet sad eyes and big droopy lips that I can't resist smooching. Some strangers see handsome dog, others see something so terrifying they scream like little girls or at least cross the street...even my husband who loves him as much as I do jokes he look like Herman Munster. I feel bad at work. His picture is in my locker. Many people are friendly with me, but they look at his photo and some are speechless. C'mon, if someone shows you a homely baby you still coo "Adorable!". But there are still enough hugs from other bully lovers to even it out.
  9. Kitkat_

Kitkat_ Member

Name:
    Katie
    Malka likes this.
    None of those options. He was abused by his last owners so we gave him a home, we didn't particularly look for him
  10. Johnclick

Johnclick Member

Name:
    John
    Dogs are so very important to us and it's good to hear how much you loved your Little One and Pereg. My wife passed away in 2008 and I was left with my faithful Beagle companion, Joe Buck. Of course I was very sad and felt so alone. I missed our morning walks and I missed seeing him waiting at the door, wagging his tail when I came home from an errand. Joe Buck passed away on July 6 of heart congestion at age 12 years; 10 months. I was too old to raise a new puppy and I thought it would be impossible to find an adult Beagle that I could adopt. In scanning the internet, I found some Beagles up for adoption and some were in shelters near my home. That's how I found Pikey, the seven year old Beagle who has become my new companion. No dog will replace Joe Buck, but Pikey and I were instant friends and he sleeps in my bed. I was so grateful to have him with me in such a short time after I lost Joe
  11. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    I voted to live a normal life. I would probably not leave my house at any given time if not for my rugrats. As far as fashion dogs, even if they are Papillons, my lot would not talk to me for a very long time if I would shove them in a bag or dress them up. They are definatly not fashion dogs and the biggest weighing 4 kg and the three girls just over 2 kg each, I would not really count on them to protect anything but their toys and chews from each other. I do show and have my first litter on the way so I guess I could put that option in but I did not get them with that purpose.
  12. dogdays

dogdays New Member

Name:
    Tom
    Malka likes this.
    1 because they said I would be an irresponsible dog owner
    2 because I love dogs
    3 because I have always had a dog in my life
    4 dogs are better than people
    5 I was in a dark place and needed a reason to keep going 10yrs on she's still there for me
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I wish I had not re-read this as my beloved Pereg might be in the start of hepatic failure due to her medication. And at the moment I do not want her to have another blood test in case it also shows bad ALT again because I know that she will be the last wubble to share my life.

At the moment she is fine B"H but she is my life - the heartbeat at my feet at night, and I know there will never be another heartbeat at my feet if her liver goes.

I love my Pereg more than I can ever explain. I knew that when she went on medication for her epilepsy it could kill her but I have done everything I can to help support her liver.

Nothing else could I have done and if she is in liver failure nothing can be done.

But how will I ever live without that heartbeat at my fee,t without my girl?

Because there will never be able to be another one.
  14. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Oh so sorry to read this Malka fingers cross she's ok xxx
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I hope that you are worrying unnecessarily, and that she still has more years left yet.
  16. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Yes. Try and remain positive all the time she is well. You and she are so lucky to have each other, don't make yourself unhappy by worrying.
  17. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    I have almost always had at least one dog in my life and I can't imagine living without them. At this time I have six Chihuahua's and a big mixed breed. 4 are rescues and 3 are not. I have always rescued and will continue until I die but I had to stop breeding Chihuahua's due to my own health. They give me someone to talk to and someone who loves me just the way I am, I need them for a "normal" life and they do protect me. Phoebe, the big one, is extremely protective. My black Chihuahua will tear the leg off of anyone who might approach me in a threatening way and the others bark and growl and nip like crazy to back her up. I did not teach any of them to be aggressive. I did teach Phoebe that "get in the yard" means to go to the center of the front yard and bark and watch from there. She has learned over the years who are friends and who are strangers. She's happy and playful with friends. Greets them like old buddies. But strangers cannot come through the gate.
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am not thinking about it. Have told Ram I will wait another three or so weeks before another blood test

I am being an ostrich and love every day with my girl. Will NOT think about the what ifs.

I so wish I had not re-read this.

Why do some wannabee vets think they know better than my expert vet who has taught me so much - and me - a qualified and registered doctor albeit not a vet, really think that they think they know better how to look after my beloved dog than I do?

Well they do not.

She is my girl and I will love her for as long as I can.
  19. manydogz

manydogz Member

Name:
    manydogz (Debra)
    Malka likes this.
    Malka...Nobody knows Pereg like you do, so just ignore the wannabee's. I have a fair medical background for both human's and dogs although I am not a doctor or a vet. I know my dogs but would not presume to know more about another person's dog than the owner and I certainly don't know more than a quality vet. You and Pereg are lucky to have each other.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Sometimes being an ostrich is not such a bad thing. IMG_0215.JPG
  21. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Why did I get a dog? That's really a hard question to answer in all honesty. My parents had dogs before I was born, I learnt to walk hanging off our Bull Mastiff. We've had a huge variety of dogs over the years and they've fulfilled a variety of roles. They've come in all shapes and sizes with every kind of personality. I can't imagine life without at least one in my life.