Why do people walk their dogs during the hottest part of the day General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by 6JRT's, Jul 12, 2014.

1. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Why do people walk their dogs during the hottest part of the day

I am sitting here in my bathroom looking through the open window with my binoculars (am very nosey) & am horrified to see dogs being walked, correction being dragged down the street, its hot today its 30.0C - 86.0F in my bathroom so god only knows what it is outside.

Why can't people realise if its too hot for them to walk, then its far to hot for their dogs to be walked. Why can't they walk their dogs first thing in the morning or during the evening when its cooler.

Temperature in my bathroom
    20140712_124706.jpg 20140712_124716.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's likes this.
    I never take mine out when it's hot. I've just insisted Bogie comes in from the garden as he lies there with the sun beating down on him and I'm sure it can't be good for him.

I was stupid enough to go for a run a couple of hours ago. It wasn't a very long one!
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    I have rubbed suncream on my JRT's tummies as they have been playing in the pool in the garden.
  5. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Many owners just don't realise :(

Does your thermo have a humidity monitor as well? I'd be interested to know what that is..
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    44.3°C in my bedroom right now [111.74°F], and according to the local forecast [updated hourly] the humidity is 34% in town - we are a wee bit inland so it is probably less here.

I have no idea how hot it is outside as I have no intention of venturing out to check it! :cool:
  7. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    We have had wind and rain all week in my part of kent so been much better for the dogs. But when it's hot we walk early and late like so many others and we got lots of shade and woods at the country park. Then there on cool mats on the way home in there crates.
  8. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Azz likes this.
    Not on this clock do have on clock in garden but not going outside as far to hot now think it said 45% earlier when dogs were playing in pool
  9. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    6JRT's likes this.
    A woman came down my street hill one day in the middle of a hot day just a bit ago, and her dog was clearly very distressed. He was tugging as hard as he could trying to get into people's yards. She was struggling with him and it was a huge mess. I instantly knew what was wrong and I also knew I had to tell her. People here can be very standoffish with things like this and normally I don't say anything at all.

I told her that the hot concrete was burning his paws and that it was a good idea to let him into my yard because his feet were likely in lots of pain, which was the reason he was trying to get off the concrete. To my surprise, she said "Oh, my god... REALLY?" and quickly ran into my yard with him, rolled him over, and began to look at his feet and speak kindly to him and apologize and rub him etc. NOT a normal response from most people here.

She told me that she thought their tough paw pads were perfectly fine on hot concrete and that she had no idea it could burn them. She also told me that it was her first dog (I have no idea what kind of dog... looked like a pit bull crossed with something long haired? maybe golden?? IDK) and that she felt so bad. Her dog calmed down a lot and was such a sweet dog.

She then called her son from my yard to come pick them up so they didn't have to walk back. Took him only a minute or two to pull up, so hopefully they had not been walking long, hate to imagine the pain poor pooch was in. I told her a bit of AB ointment on his feet would do the trick (they didn't look burned) and that he'd be fine. She was very thankful, and I'm sure the doggy was, too.
  10. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    People just forget just how hot pavements & roads get when its hot.