Would like another dog Which breed for me?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by NewRoc84, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Whippets and greyhounds are out too huh? Damn, only other couch potato I know off the top of my head.

Ouch, a JRT? How about a rat terrier? They look like JRT (sorta) and I /think/ they may be calmer at least; well, not as 'hyperactive' anyways.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    I do agree hopefully the JR won't be to umm hyper but I'm guessing it will be just a bit annoyed at hubby for all the hard work I did into hopefully finding the right kind of small yet calm dog then he says he wants a jack Russell who is not so calm... Idiot
  4. aerolor

aerolor New Member

Name:
    Rena
    A Cavalier sounds about right - they are usually gentle and fit into family life quite nicely. They are pretty though and have a bit of hair to look after, but I don't think a man would be embarrassed walking one.
  5. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    You certainly can come across small staffies. Mine is a biggy lol - you do get ones that are bigger and smaller than the KC standard.

I would with a very biased opinion highly rate them :D They are great for young active families and despite what you read there is no reason to suggest you cant keep them in multi dog and animal households - even more so if you raise them from a puppy. My boys best friend is our tiny cat.

Would you consider going down the rescue route? Would you be eligible do you know? Only reason why I suggest that, is because you dont have a specific breed in mind why not let a breed choose you rather, or not look at breeds, just the "dog" itself. Good luck!!
  6. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    dont follow???!!!:blush:

id we were to go down rescu way firstly as im sure you understand there are many a rescue honmes that lie about if they are compatabile with other animals and children (i know our clostest one does this as a friend of mine who once worked there told me this) yes it would be nice via the toilet traning side of things but i dont want the worry TBH... i know this sounds cruel

on the other hand its a case of once my husbands mind is made up that it is so i might as well give up now trying to speak to him about getting another diffrent breed...

TBH i do adore JR's but i know they can be quite a handful and quite enrgetic... we already have this with our beagle and i was thinking my hubby did not want this... but oh well never mind what else can i do??? (wait till Beagle is 18 months old then bring it up again :lol: )
  7. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie

Totally agree with this.:002: It sounds like you will have a lot on your hands already without a second dog.
  8. Zuluandnaomi

Zuluandnaomi New Member

Name:
    Naomi
    Lol dont worry, Because you werent dead set on what breed you want, i,e "I want a staffordshire bull terrier thats this and that and I'm going to so and so breeder"...thought rescue might be an option because it sort of doesnt matter what the breed is as long as they come across as a nice dog to you and fit the wants you have...even if it is a breed your hubby might not have considered because the pics he has seen they look like a "pretty" dog. Its completely fine not to prefer to do that, not cruel, just thought I would throw it in there to add a different view on it :)

I do like JRTs but with one fairly hyper dog already I dont think I could have another, although I would quite fancy one, either that or I would need something to really match mine size and roughness wise, like another staff lol.
  9. Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie New Member

Name:
    Anne-Marie
    Tell that to Lola, my Frenchie......she's a wee dynamo!!:lol: :lol: :lol:
  10. Cadi

Cadi New Member

Name:
    Cadi
    Ahahahahaha! Seriously? That is one awesome Frenchie! I know two people with two different French Bulldogs. Each one of them, after the initial 'explore the new territory' promptly sat near their owner and proceeded to doze off! ...Not that I minded, their snores are freaking adorable :lol:

If JRT it is, can I suggest going for an older dog from a reputable breeder? Sometimes they offer ones that are over a year or two old in which case it might help. Two highly energized puppies are...well, I don't envy you one bit but I do hope you have fun!! :mrgreen:
  11. krlyr

krlyr

Name:
    Karly
    Yup, don't know where you are but check out the Rescue Remedies dogs posted on the rehoming section, they've had some very petite Staffies in at times :)
  12. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Well I know it's been sometime but due to recent change in circumstances we won't be getting a second dog as soon as we kind of hoped (how long does a custody battle court case take again) BUT also as my cat has decided to go "walkies" for a week now my hubby has kindly said that when all this is done as he loves me and just wants to make me happy he will get me my westie... (I've wanted a westie since I was knee high) so I guess I can start to look into this particular breed now

Does anyone have any particular information I news to know about this dog or am I better of posting this question on the other boards???
  13. NewRoc84

NewRoc84 New Member

Name:
    Natasha
    Ment to say need