Would you get a breed that you couldn't insure? Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Alphatest, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Does make you wonder doesn't it.

Perhaps some of us should write to them and ask exactly why our breeds are on the list? Otherwise we will contact the ombudsmen as it's breed discrimination without good reason :twisted:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    I'd love to know their justification for bunging Tibetan Mastiffs on there. Is there ANY breed with mastiff as part of the name that isn't included? Maybe I now have two uninsurable breeds?

Makes me even more glad that I dumped them after the first year when his premium was £102 for the year and the renewal, despite him never going to the vets, was £408. I'd be mighty aggrieved if I'd been with them for about 5 years and they decided that they'd had my money with no claims and I could go away now.
  4. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    I wouldn't... At least not now, since I just couldn't afford it if anything big happened. When Jake cut his side open, the bill was over £1000, I wouldn't have been able to afford that money so I was soooo relieved I was insured.

I also know someone else who kept saying that they were going to insure their dog, they didn't and ended up spending a small fortune when he had a few problems all happened at once. As the breed is one that can have a few health problems, and he was a rehome so she has no idea of his parentage, she is now getting him insured before anything else goes wrong!
  5. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    v interesting thank you
  6. twix

twix New Member

Name:
    twix
    Sainsburys exclude Deerhounds? Their list of excluded breeds is so long it would be easier if they just said what they WILL insure!

I do insure my dogs but would have to carefully consider if I wanted a breed that was classed as uninsurable.
  7. Shanahan

Shanahan New Member

Name:
    Kerry
    Yes I would. I have a "credit union" set up with the vet whereby I pay the fees I would normally give to an insurance company direct into a vet set up bank account and any veterinary treatment is then taken from the credit union balance. Works fantastically well and if there was anything horrendous, then that's why God invented credit cards LOL
  8. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    Hadn't thought of that Bernese are a molasser breed so maybe thats why too.
  9. GSD-Sue

GSD-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Its not breed with me its age. As I now take on oldies ,both my last GSDs hav been over 10 when I had them even if I could insure them it would be prohibitive, however I do have 3rd party insurance through being a member of my breed club.
  10. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

Interesting to see Irish Staffies on that list - met two Irish Staffy puppies at a park locally. Anyone know why they are excluded?
  11. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    I thought there was no such thing as an Irish Staff? I thought that was just name to cover for pit bull x staffs? Might be wrong :? But that's why they would be banned, for containing a banned breed.
  12. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Yes I would and have, in fact, never insured any pet of mine. But I can afford the vet bills and reckon it probably levels out over the years if you are not paying the premiums. I used to say my dog 'had her own Visa Gold card'! When my Cavvy was being treated for the MVD.

Not even sure if that would be covered as it is prevalent in the breed? I hate the way Insurance companies seem to want you to pay the premiums and make sure you present NO risk whatsoever!

I've been lucky to have owned dogs who were healthy in their lifetime, lived to around their alloted span and were only ill at the very end.

If I didn't have much dosh - I would take out an insurance - or if I had LOTS of dogs - I would then too.

On the same basis I took out stuff like Washing Machine Insurance and Boiler insurance back in the days when I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy a new replacement if they died without getting into debt.
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Because they are pit bulls (types) and are banned.