Your favourite bits about your pastoral breed :) General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Gems, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    Hah! I have managed to get one panting like a train, but it took me over half an hour and nearly killed me!

Snorri
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    Agree with everything you've all said so far. Don't know what I'd do with a dog that just sat in a corner with no personality or zest for life. Even when you could strangle them for being naughty, all they have to do is give you 'that' look that says, 'love you mam'. Love the way Cassie stalks everything down on her haunches and the way she tries to shake her cuddly toys til they give up. She wears herself out with out any intervention from us. It's hilarious to watch her trying to herd the seagulls on the beach, without letting go of the ball! She really is the friendliest most loving little dog I've ever seen! :grin:
  4. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    LOL Wolfie and Gems, we managed to wear Cassie out while we were in the Lakes but that was about 7 miles a day:shock: :shock: :shock: Nearly killed me.

OH reckons as long as we sleep less than she does, we're winning LOL:grin:
  5. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Before I got Brandie I found the idea of this kind of dog quite scary! The fact that they need so much exercise and mental stimulation :shock:
    But now I love it! I definately need a dog that I can interact with a lot. Playing games and training throughout the day are great fun. I have never done agility or anything like that but they look great too.

Brandie is definately not as active as a border collie (she will quite happily snooze!) but she does need to be entertained a lot or she will find some mischief to entertain herself! She also wants to be involved in everything. I think she hates the idea of missing out on the fun!

So I now love the fact that this group of dogs are always on the go!! :grin:
    And their expressions make me laugh so much :lol:
  6. Shady

Shady New Member

Name:
    michael
  7. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie

LOL :lol:
    Is this a collie thing?? Brandie does this all the time! Whenever she's excited she pounces on her toy then shakes the life out of it. :shock:
    Then she looks at me like it's my turn :roll:
  8. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    Think it must be a collie thing as I've never really seen it before, not to her extent anyway. She sometimes lets go and I've been clocked in the head by a rubber dragon before now LOL:grin:
  9. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Don't know about that wufflehoond, coz Cassie used to do that when young with her toys, she now thinks she's far too mature even to play with any toys now! :grin: I always used to think it was because they thought it was a rabbit and they would kill a rabbit like that wouldn't they?

Snorri, what a lovely post about your dogs - as per usual, I really enjoyed reading that :grin:

Glad to see you made it in here shady :grin: I have my first "thick" one too in Georgie! Poor boy, but he has other qualities which far outweigh any need for intelligence in him :lol:

You made it here too then Wufflehoond :lol: Isn't it great that we have all these dogs together now, and now that I've read about all the antics of your collies, I am beginning to think that Cassie was one in her previous life, she is soooo like them :grin:
  10. Snorri the Priest

Snorri the Priest New Member

Name:
    Thorgrim Thorgrimsson
    Only 7? Before I got knackered with arthritis, I used to do 10 miles a day with my two! It never wore them out, but at least things would be modestly quiet when I got them home! They might sleep for 10 minutes or so, but all that did was recharge their nuclear batteries, to get them fit for some more chaos-creation and unstoppable barking!

Snorri
    :lol:
  11. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    I think our dogs are linked anyway Helena and yes I think she believes the toys are rabbits. She wouldn't know what to do with one if she caught it though. She's already stuck her head in a bunny hole and Mr. Bunny was home. She got a kick for her nosiness LOL

Yes, ONLY 7 miles Snorri, but remember Cassie is only a leprechaun sized Border Collie:grin: Was only 11 kgs at her 1 year check!:)

Glad we're all here together, will enjoy comparing notes on our various furbabies!:)
  12. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    Yes Wufflehoond, they must be the same then, coz when Cassie did have a rabbit one day, she didn't know what to do with it except push it with her nose and her paw! :grin: Poor little rabbit was half dead, but I don't think she did that, she wouldn't hurt a fly! She just kept looking up at me as if to say "what am I supposed to do with it Mum", needless to say, I dealt with it for her, but that's another story and I am not going there, it makes me feel sick to even think about it! Sorry! :-(
  13. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    They think they're so tough don't they but they're big softies at heart. Doesn't stop them trying to roll in dead things though! Had to pull her off a dead seagull the other day, nightmare!:roll:
  14. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    I have to say, I really love watching border collies doing agility and flyball. They are so fast but so precise, absolutely amazing :grin:

I also enjoyed watching Mary Rae and her collies doing their dance to music? Absolutely amazing :grin:

Another thing I love about about GSD's is the way they talk to you, it's just sooo cute :grin:

Barney does that thing to toys too :lol: He shakes them to death then starts licking and cuddling them :? :lol: He hasn't met a rabbit yet so not sure what he'd do to one if he did :grin:
  15. BrandieSnap

BrandieSnap New Member

Name:
    Suzie
    Brandie is much too slow for the rabbits, they're long gone by the time she decides to chase them :roll:
    She did bring me a dead bird once though. I wasn't very greatful!

I love watching collies do agility and flyball too, they are so clever. But I always feel sorry for them when the make mistakes :(

Do german shepherds do agility or anything like that?
  16. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Some people are very competitive in agility but no harsh handling is allowed in the ring.

All breeds can do agility, i know a guy who does agility with his GSD's :)
  17. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    We're going to do agility with Barney when he's old enough. I think he'll love it :grin:
  18. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    Don't think Cassie's the agility type, she's far to interested in people and getting a fuss. Can just picture her running over to a judge and laying on her back with all 4 paws in the air to get her belly tickled. LOL:blush:
  19. tjhoe68

tjhoe68 New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Awwww, bless her :grin:
  20. Gems

Gems New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    Bless!!!! :D:D Some dogs dont enjoy it, but watching a handler and a dog compleate a course perfectly, IM0 its a sight to treasure, agility gives the handler and dog such a strong bond :)
  21. wufflehoond

wufflehoond

Name:
    XXXXX
    I agree, it's brilliant to watch, wish she was that way inclined but don't think she is. She goes from being really clever on one hand to dumb as a rock on another. LOl Bless her, wouldn't change her for the world.

Does anyone else think she's a cross by the look of her? We never did see the parents and don't know anything about her lineage but she's so tiny. Never seen a full BC so small. Any ideas?